How are you using your Spark Mini Booster?

I've been looking for a boost for my BB Preamp, to get more gain out of it when it's necessary. Spark Booster looks like a good option, any thoughts on how it'd work to place right before an overdrive?

Tim Bowen

Well, it's a cool pedal. Not gigging mine at the moment, but it's such a practical little utility box that can be moved around for different tasks, so it'll hang around.

The momentary/latching function for the switch is quite useful.

Using a one knob booster effectively in front of an overdrive to goose it into more saturation is dependent upon headroom and how much gain is already being used. I find it tricky, although it's something I've done with smaller amps such as a brown Deluxe.

Obviously, having pre- and post- gains available on a booster offers more flexibility, and in some cases can make the difference as to whether or not the levels will actually work, and/or deliver the desired amount of saturation.

I'm not saying a one-knobber won't work well as a gooser, only that it's more dependent upon other aforementioned factors as to how effective it can be. And of course, it has the possibility of sounding cool.

Personally, I tend to use one-knobbers such as a Spark mini or a standard/original issue MXR Micro Amp as last-in-the-gain-chain devices, or at the very end of the signal path, simply as pure volume/dB boosters, and I like to have a little more flexibility with my goosers.

Depends on how you set up your rig, I suppose.

That's a great perspective, seems I should get my hands on one and try it out. Got a small setup, 5w amp, not much volume, so it's mainly for increasing gain.

AgusAD

It can definitely work, especially if the gain on the BB is dialed at 9.00 or higher.

Works a treat for goosing a low or mid gain OD pedal into higher gain. Give it a go, I think you'll like it :)

Works great placed after an OD for a solo boost/volume lift too ... assuming there's sufficient headroom in your amp to accommodate this.

If you are considering the Spark mini, might I suggest the full size Spark Booster. One of my best purchases.
3 types of boost, plus gain and 2 band EQ. It is so versatile and sounds fantastic.

I love putting it in front of my DD500 with the mid switch engaged. Adds this wonderful colour and push to my delays.
Sounds like something worth checking out for sure, thanks. Any thoughts on how it compares to the RC Booster?

Tim Bowen

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
Any thoughts on how it compares to the RC Booster?

Both good pedals. Format is similar and each has active Baxandall EQ, but the circuit topology is supposedly different. The four knob Spark is more versatile with the different voicings of the toggle. I like the RC better as a straight clean boost, and its highs sound better to me. I have an older RC, but the new dual footswitch model RC looks spiffy.

Spark mini would probably be great with your five watt. The other two of course offer more options.

nkt275

I'm completely blown away by the big version of the Spark booster. Extremely versatile, and sound awesome. Worth checking out, OP.

Alton

I use the large one and it really is just too handy on it's own for a great boost and to juice another distortion box, a vibe, a delay. For me it has become one of those "gotta have" boxes.

Jo-Jo Beans

I owned a Spark Mini, used it for one gig, and then traded it out for its full-size cousin. Couldn't be happier. The Spark Mini was great and voiced really well, but I love the tweakable tone options and the mid-boost options on the Spark. I turn the gain all the way up, which granted doesn't do much on such a low-gain pedal, but it gives it just a tiny bit of grit when I engage it as a solo boost and gives it a tremendous bite when placed in front of a dirty amp. Spark Mini does more of the same with a little less customizability.

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
I use the mini in the FX loop of my PWE for a volume boost with an EQD Tone Job in front to hit the overdriven channel hotter.

Both work very well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom