How are you using your Tone Bender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mkl13, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Guys I am having some trouble getting useable sounds from the Tone Bender clone I have (brit bender). I love the general tone of the pedal but am having trouble with the amout of gain it has even at the minimum settings. I am playing a Les Paul through a Roccaforte Custom 18 that is set so it has a nice grind with the guitar volume all of the way up. I have the pedal set at a little higher than unity gain and am turning my guitar volume all of the way (or close to it) up for guitar solos. I just seem to be getting just too much gain.

Are you usually using tone benders through completely clean amps?

Also I cant seem to get any kind of a decent rhythem sound with the pedal on. It is just has soooo much gain.

So am I having a set up issue or is the brit bender just a super high gain version of the pedal?

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

In my experience, this can be a pretty common issue with benders in general. A lot of people just dime the fuzz knob and then control the entire range of the pedal with the gtr vol. knob. This works pretty well, and the results vary among guitars, lower gain pickups will help keep it in control better than hot ones. You could try lowering your pickups too.

3. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I have a BYOC model that sounds really nice. I am using a Strat into an amp that is just breaking up. I have other lower gain fuzzes on my board so my byoc is my over the top pedal. Mine gets really noisy at about 3 oclock on the gain so I set it there, and set the volume at just over unity gain.

I see you have all humbucker guitars, so my comments may be useless ;)

4. 4styx

4styx Member

If it's got a internal trim pot,back down the gain to the last transistor.My Soulbender got a whole lot more usable after the adjustment.

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Turn the gain way down, and roll back the guitar volume to maybe 8. I haven't used that particular clone, but it seems to work on most.

6. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

^^^ ^^^
    Read the above post again.
    You really need to play, finesse, fiddle and tweak that input gain on the amp. When your amp is a little bit cleaner, you will have thick fuzz, not tasteless mush.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

That's why I like the Throbak Stone Bender. The Throbak has a low/high pregain switch, this is crucial when switching from a single coil to a humbucker as it allows you to get similar gain using all different kinds of guitars. It also has a bright switch which helps keep the nasty fuzz artifacts high end in check, this is really usful with tele's and such.

When I was using mine a while back I had the fuzz pretty high but I was using single coils and only used it for heavy leads. This pedal can do more then this but that's how I used it that particular day.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

Happily!
    Use the Throbak Stone Bender and the BYOC vintage MK II, among others.