how are your pedals arranged on your pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, Apr 4, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

DO you arrange your pedals on your pedalboard in the order they are daisy-chained OR do you arrange them so the most commonly used are closest (and use lots of long cables to daisy chain them)

discuss

2. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

As a general rule, I physically line mine up in the order that they are chained. But, I ALWAYS put the most used pedals closest to me on the board, and put my tuner furthest away from me (since I don't need to step on it/alter its settings.

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Mine are arranged more by usability and reachability than mechanical order... it's a pretty mixed bag, and some have easier switches than others, or delicate/easily moved knobs. Also, some effects tend to get left on for an entire song, while others get switched on and off while playing.

The front line of my pedalboard is currently volume (I use it all the time), the key dirt pedals, the long (analog) delay, and a reverb pedal that may just get removed.

4. thewex

thewex Member

good question, i wondered this myself about other peoples set-ups. mine are basically chained like a "Z" but coincidentally, the bottom row are comprised of the pedals i really use, like the wah and dirt/od's.

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

mine are mostly ordered the same way they are daisy chained But now that I have a ton of the planet wave cables lying around of various lengths I can experiment more...I am starting to move all my "always on" pedals (noise supressor, tuner, eq) to the back and the pedals I find myself stomping on and off alot to the front (chorus, delay)

I aslo just ordered a boss LS-2 (line splitter) to remove some pedals from my chain except when in use.ostly my huge collection of dirt

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I use my OD and wah the most, so they're in the front. I also put my most commonly used OD to the right of the board since I use my right foot. The last board I had had my most commonly used pedal to the left, and it was a PITA to use my left foot or have to move to hit the pedal.

7. KBN

KBN Member

I go for ergonomics over shortest signal path.

[​IMG]

Signal path is:

Budda Wah
    Demeter Fat Control
    Loop-master 2 loop
    --loop 1: Diamond J-Drive mk3
    Emma Reezafratzitz
    --loop 2: MXR Phase 90
    VL Microvibe
    Boss CE-2
    Maxon EQ
    EB volume
    --Korg DT-10
    Boss DD-20
    Hopper Bypass loop
    --Digitech JamMan
    Boss RV-5

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

agreed. put them where they're the most accessible, with the ones you stomp the most near the foot that does the stomping, and the less stomped ones out of the way. then just route your cables however you need to. there's no reason to do it any other way. signal path length isn't a concern when you're talking a few feet at most.

9. cameron

cameron Member

My pedalboard is organized as a main chain of pedals, that are always in the signal path, and a "lead loop" that is controlled by a Keeley looper. The pedals in the main sequence are in the front row in signal path order, along with the looper and a Decimator (which is the only thing after the lead loop). The lead loop is in the second row, and all but one of them are in signal path order. The exception is the Boss RE-20 space echo, which is in the lead loop (second to last, right before the clean boost) but physically off the board and on the floor to the left. I place the RE-20 on the floor so I can get at its tap-tempo control easily, and also because there's just no room for it on the board . . .

10. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I have a smaller board (SKB PS25), so while I try to arrange pedals how they're chained but sometimes I have to fudge things a bit.

For example, I usually put my Fulltone '69, which is big and 1st in my chain, above my Blackstone, which is small and next in the chain. From the Blackstone, things proceed right to left then up and around to any stragglers, then into the tuner (in the upper left hand corner) and out.

Ideal scenario for me is that I get rid of some overdrives and only have one row of pedals plus the tuner. :rolleyes:

11. Iversen

Iversen Member

The ones I step one the most are on the row closest to me, while the rest - yup, in the back.

12. brianf

brianf Member

They are in an order.

I use a Pedaltrain. The mid sized one.

I have my loop effects on the top tier and od's tuners compressor etc on the bottom.

brianf

13. marcher5877

marcher5877 Member

My wah has to go furtherest to the right (only place is will fit) and my DD20 has to go on the top because of its size.

I have two rows of 4 pedals so I am really not dealing with that much. When I laid it out, I was just thinking of signal chain. Its not really that hard to stomp on the back row.