How awesome (or not) is a vintage CE-1 Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MoarGear, Apr 13, 2019.

1. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I've not played one, or even seen one in person, but Im on the hunt for an analog Chorus and this one is certainly popular.

How is it? What's as cool or cooler?

Thanks.

2. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

I've got one - it's amazing, in that it's a hugely inspiring and unique sound that's so timeless. Personally, I absolutely love it. Plus, it's stereo (well...seperates the Wet & Dry onto separate channels, so...kinda stereo) and has the vibrato mode.

But - the preamp is always active, so colours your overall sound even when the chorus is off. It's mains powered. It's noisy. It's not true bypass. It's f'ing enormous! And, nowadays, crazy money. There's a few pedal folks (Analog Mike, etc) who do mods to sort the True Bypass; and I've even seen some converted to accept a Boss-style power input. But also...they're old, they're prone to breaking down, etc. And if something inside it breaks, the resale value goes through the floor. Plus, you need to either modify it and replace the preamp pot or always give it a buffered signal to stop it shelving off all your high end.

A few people make amazing clones of it - Retro Sonic being one - with the 'issues' fixed. So...it entirely depends if you want 'THE' unit, or just the sound. If you're a collector/vintage purist then yeah...track down an original. But if you're just after "an analog chorus" there's hundreds of more practical, cheaper & more versatile options out there. The Analogman Mini Chorus is the one I use on my board & the JAM Waterfall is also amazing, to name but two high-end boutique choruses.

But yeah...the CE-1 is epic! ;-)

3. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

This is the demo I shot of mine a couple of years ago...might help!

jibreel and MoarGear like this.
  4. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Once you had the real deal nothing else will make you happy anymore. So, either you live with all the downsides the original (and vintage gear in general) brings with it or you look out for one of the really good clones.

MoarGear likes this.
  5. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I remember the first time I heard/saw one of those being used.

My band warmed-up for a Calif. group "Legs Diamond" back in the 70's. Their guitarist was using one and it sounded great!

abby_normal, LordByron and MoarGear like this.
  6. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Nice demo of everything, thanks.

LordByron and JoePerkinsMusic like this.
  7. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

IMHO - cooler:

Nightbreed and MoarGear like this.
  8. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

Considering how great CE-1 modes sound in Boss CE-2W and CE-1 is said to be superior even though... It must be awesome!

I'm super happy with CE-2w and I wouldn't jump on CE-1 though ;) Try the Waza from Boss :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  9. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Can’t power it from your power supply
    It’s about as big as a pedaltrain mini
    Bypass dulls the tone
    Preamp is easily overdriven by HBs

I’ve owned it twice. The above eventually manages to push me to sell it.

JS-29, Flatscan, ubenjammin2 and 2 others like this.
  10. mici

mici Member

Well, I'd venture to say that CE-1 is pretty damn good chorus, but it's far from something heavenly wonderful. As said before, mains powered, noisy, takes a hell of a real estate, costs sh*t-ton of money these days and needs some mods to be compatible with guitar.

If we are talking Boss choruses, I much prefer and old, analog CH-1/CE-5, because they are dirt cheap, provide also lush chorus tone for 80s stuff, are stereo (kind of, wet/dry, CE-3 has phase-flip "true" stereo).

Other than that, you might want to try MXR analog Chorus (very close, if not better than CE-2), or MXR Stereo Chorus.

Nightbreed and MoarGear like this.
  11. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I've owned three sold them all for the above reasons.
    This and the fact there are a shitte ton of modern pedals that sound great.

chlorinemist, Flatscan and Figaro like this.
  12. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

For those who want exactly the features of CE-1 (preamp included) but not the disadvantages (wallwart, size etc) there is an Italian guy who makes it. Look up for Triangulo Labs, no affiliation whatsoever. The Retrosonic chorus is true bypass so it doesn't have the preamp

13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

^This^
    Get a CE-2.

MoarGear likes this.
  14. Tootone

Tootone Member

My 2c... its great if you want "that" sound.

But I also like Boss CE3, CH1 analogue, CH1 Digital...

I didn't say CE2 because that's another pedal you will pay a lot if money for.

Unless you want to be the proud owner of a battered CE1 or CE2 with the price label hanging off the dials, get a ...

Strymon Ola or Mobius.. digital model.
    RetroSonic Chorus
    Boss CE2w
    Any Boss Flanger
    Red Witch Empress or any BBD pedal with a "delay" control.

The CE1 had an overdrivable preamp... cool. Get a cheap preamp or OD pedal.

The Chorus sound of the CE1 had a short delay time. Get a Boss Flanger and turn up the Manual control... same LFO. Turn Resonance to 08:00.

The CE2 had a slightly longer delay time... as per CE1, but set manual to about 11 O'Clock. Turn resonance to Zero.

Squatch57 and MoarGear like this.
  15. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

Could you elaborate more on CE-3?

16. scotticus

scotticus Supporting Member

A lot of people usually wind up comparing the CE-1 and CE-2, and for good reason because they are both awesome pedals. If you’ve played a CE-2 I’d compare them like this...if the CE-2 is a nice drizzle of syrup on your pancakes, the CE-1 is completely overflowing off the plate onto the table. The preamp can really drench the sound which can be viewed as a good or bad thing. I personally love it, and there’s really nothing else like it. That being said, the CE-1 falls more into the “one trick pony” category than it does into the “versatile” category, so if you’re seeking an analog chorus with options, probably best to look at some of the other suggested options. An added bonus is that the vibrato side is very very nice as well, so you’re getting two really nice sounds in one gigantic box with the CE-1.

Edit: To give you an idea how stupidly massive the CE-1 is, here’s a picture of a board I had years and years ago next to some “normal” sized pedals. If pedal board real estate is a factor for you, then maybe it’s not the best option.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    AXXA, LordByron, monty and 3 others like this.
  17. erksin

erksin Member

I had one (as well as a CE-2 - they aren’t at all comparable, IMO). It’s a killer sound (plus that Vibrato!) but for all the above reasons it’s just not all that practical to use.

IMO, the best chorus I’ve ever owned is an old Arion SCH-1. It has the warmth and thickness and 3D swirl of the CE-1 with none of the issues.

18. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I have a Retrosonic Chorus and it gets that sound for a reasonable price. Even more reasonable on the used market. I like having the ability to switch between Chorus and Vibrato. If that doesn’t matter then the Waza CE-2 is worth a look too.

LordByron likes this.
  19. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

It's that big it might be a pedalboard itself! A couple of MXR Minis would fit on top between the switches :)

MoarGear likes this.
  20. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

They’re aight. I guess.

[​IMG]

Deluzion, AXXA, LordByron and 4 others like this.