How awesome (or not) is a vintage CE-1 Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MoarGear, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Tootone

Tootone Member

Aha.... Perky... I never realised you were a TGPr... I like your videos!!! As you can see above.

Maybe a more intricate look at the CE1 in chorus mode might be in order... ;)

2. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

Aha yeah, I'm here! :p I never need too much of an excuse to bring the CE-1 out...might have to do it soon!! haha

Tootone likes this.
  3. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Wasn’t the Boss CE-1 originally designed for keyboards?
    I owned one for decades and it is good sounding. The CE-2 and DC-2 would be my preference .
    But the best .................
    I was fortunate recently in having one of the best pedal makers in the World modify my 1978 Electric Mistress .
    Mainly adding a booster ( but also a Bass switch should I desire ) to make up fo the drop in volume when the effect is engaged . This mod has opened up the subtle side of this pedal as the volume drop is more noticeable on low settings . So I used to use it on the higher settings . Not anymore .

4. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

It was, yeah - it's designed for buffered line-level signals, hence why the input preamp pot takes off all the high end from a guitar (think it's 100k, off the top of my head). So, you can either modify it and put a higher value pot in, or just make sure to feed it a buffered guitar signal. That said though, I've spoken to some people who love the darker tone of having the CE-1 shelve off all the high end, so...horses for courses! :)

unclekingsley likes this.
  5. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I had one and directly got to a/b it with the ce-1 model in the Zoom MS50G. Was it identical? No. Was the Zoom stupidly close with a bit of tweaking?

I no longer own the Ce-1. An iconic sound in a very PITA package.

TG

6. wye

wye Member

Ce 1 is the best.....simple

BGReed2 likes this.
  7. BGReed2

BGReed2 Member

Sure, lots of baggage (as described perfectly by everybody earlier) but it is the ultimate chorus. I'm dating myself, but I bought mine new and it has been on my board until just a year or so, when I replaced it with an early H & K RotoSphere (which is almost as big and just as heavy!).

Actually, the CE-1 basically was my pedalboard early on because I found the level control useful in getting a bit of gain. For someone wanting a fast Leslie sound the Vibrato option does the trick. I only wish I could turn the rate down more - then it would be ideal.

Mine has held up quite well through the years, so I can vouch for the quality. Works as well as the day I bought it. I never see myself parting with it.

8. p.j.

p.j. Member

I remember that it did not do well with too much heat. It shut down during an outside summer concert. Other than that, and being kind of noisy, it was cool.

9. Matt Silver

Matt Silver Member

Hey guys,
    I have a CE-1 and recently it died. I had it repaired and the problem was with the (please forgive my non tech talk) power distribution early on in the pedal. I was worried this might change the tone because all you hear about is the preamp tone this pedal has, however after putting a new unit in there from the local electronic shop it's back to life and sounds the exact same.
    I really don't get the electronics so what I'm trying to explain is the part that was replaced is where the 240vac goes in (Im in Australia) it gets split up and power goes in certain voltages all around the pedal. That 'power junction' was what was replaced.
    So my question is to those in the know - what and where is the 'preamp' everyone talks about in this pedal? Would anyone be so kind as to take the back off theirs and take a picture of what the original part I'm talking about looks like? Mine is from Dick Smith's shop so all I see now when looking in is dorky Dick Smith smiling back on the part. I'd like to replace it with an original part if anyone can point me towards one?
    Many thanks,
    Matthew

10. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Hi Matt, welcome onboard! Not sure if I got it right. As I understand, you have CE-1, which is 110VAC device. You live in Australia. Thus you were powering it with the help of an external transformer converting 240VAV to 110VAC. A while ago your pedal died. The problem was with the power supply of the device. Professional service has fixed it and while they were on it they suggested to replace original transformer with a new one that matches 240VAC. Your first question is if the changes may affect the sound, right? If power transformer is the only alteration then I doubt any change in sound could take place. Because transformer is followed by a stabilized power supply. If these guys made changes to the power supply itself it may affect the sound. But if you don't hear any changes then there's nothing to worry about, right? :)
    The second question is about preamp. It's a Toshiba TA7136P Pre Amplifier For Dual Power Supply. Actually it's a vintage OpAmp. Here's the picture:

[​IMG]
    It seems they are available from here.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 4:15 AM