How bad would you feel about this?

Yer Blues

Yesterday was playing a gig with one of the bands I play with. Singer/rhythm guitarist mentions several times he needs to bolt ASAP after we are finish for a family thing. Load out is a bit of an issue as we can only bring up 1-2 vehicles at a time. No problem though... we can breakdown and he can pull his vehicle up first so he can leave before we load the instrument gear and PA stuff.

He pulls up and starts loading out his stuff. His two guitars are in cases vertically leaning against the stage. I go over to grab them to help him load them in the car...... and his acoustic comes tumbling out of the case because the latches were not shut.

Guitar seemed in good shape (nothing broke, chipped, or anything like that) and I told him to let me know if there were any issues with it. I figure I will follow up with him this week to make sure everything is OK.

I feel sort of bad, but I don't put anything in a case without securing the case.

ModdersAnon

After almost dropping my Les Paul in the same manner, Whenever the guitar goes in the case, at least one latch is secured.

Lephty

Yep--I learned a long time ago to NEVER put my guitar in a case without latching at least one or two of the latches. I can see how you would feel badly about it, but it ain't your fault.

Z_Zoquis

You were just trying to help right? I wouldn't worry about it. The guitar is probably fine anyway...

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
When my band loads in & out we all pitch in with the PA system but I'm the only one that handles my gear.
Others often ask if I need a hand but I always thank them and say "No, I got it".
I'm also the only that ever brings a dolly so all my stuff (not much) just rolls in & out.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, close case lid with one hand and flip at least a latch simultaneously.
I also extend my index finger to press on the lid when I grab the handle... Habit.

But a simple tumble is part of gigging.

loudboy

Not your fault. Stuff happens.

Our singer whacked the headstock of my Custom 24 w/his tambourine and put a nice ding in it. It sucked, but I couldn't get mad at him, just a stupid accident.

Chuckracer

Gold Supporting Member
I also extend my index finger to press on the lid when I grab the handle... Habit.
Yup...I do the same: My index finger is always extended touching the lid any time I pick up a guitar case by the handle. It's total habit.

Anyhoo, the dropped axe is not your fault, and stuff like that happens when gigging. It's to be taken in stride.

Ghostmaker

I'd feel a bit bad because I'd hate for that to happen to my guitar, but why would anyone put theirs in a case without properly closing it?

SixStringFiend

Guitars: things we try to baby but must necessarily subject to abuse—or a great risk thereof. 'Tis a conundrum.

Ian Anderson

I have a rule about handling a guitar case that's not unlike handling a gun. You wouldn't point and pull the trigger of a gun at someone even if you knew with 100% certainty is was unloaded. ALWAYS extend a finger around the edge of the lid to prevent the case from opening. I learned this while working for a vintage guitar dealer handling very expensive instruments.

greeny

It's not like you were throwing the case around or generally being an ass. So unless he has some hard rule that no-one touches his stuff ever then it's just one of those things.
I might feel bad and apologize but no financial recompense IMO.

2HBStrat

Yesterday was playing a gig with one of the bands I play with. Singer/rhythm guitarist mentions several times he needs to bolt ASAP after we are finish for a family thing.......
Yeah, I would feel pretty bad toward someone who has the time to play the gig (4 hour gig?), and presumably get paid, but doesn't have the time (30 minutes?) to load out.

Trending Topics