How BF are the Hot Rod/Blues Deville/Deluxe cleans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Thinline_slim, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I have a loaner Hot Rod Deville 2x12 sitting in my music room at the moment and I've been curious as to how close it's clean channel is to the classic Fender BF amps. I really enjoy the cleans but the amp is just physically too heavy for me to get excited about. Not that I can't move it but I'm looking for something lighter since I have a bad back.

I'm asking about the whole Hot Rod and Blues lines.

2. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I've never played a BF fender. That said every time I go into a music shop I like to test guitars on a Hot Rod Deluxe to keep a reference. I really like the clean channel and find it to nail what my ears think is BF fender tone. Clean, crisp, percussive, sparkly, lean midrange, etc... I don't play a ton with pure clean tones though, so it isn't overly practical for me to buy one.

3. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

The Hot Rod Deluxe was my workhorse amp for a good 7 years. I just got tired of lugging such a heavy amp around though and it was way too loud for what I was using it for these days.

I used the clean channel exclusively on it and it is classic Fender clean to my ears. Not as clear as a Twin Reverb but real good nonetheless.

4. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

They are ok cleans that are usable, but that is it. The Blackface Fender clean sound is in a whole other level. Listen to some youtube clips for a reference if you can't actually play a real BF amp.

That said, if you like those cleans, get a Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 and go to town. :aok

5. ES350

ES350 Member

The only one I've ever used that came close was the original Blues Deluxe...the rest are too crispy and bassy, midrange in the wrong place, no sweet spot, just not there.

6. JAP09

JAP09 Supporting Member

I used to own a 2x12 hot rod deluxe and I now own a Princeton reverb. The hot rod was thick and creamy, sometimes a bit muddy to my ears, and it was a solid amp for blues and some classic rock tones. My Princeton is voiced much differently than the deluxe. The Princeton has more sparkle and clarity, but is a little bit thinner. I play mostly worship music so the princeton was perfect for me, whereas the deluxe was good but not exactly what i needed. Regardless of which I prefer, they are definitely voiced much differently. If you're looking for the deluxe tone in a lighter amp, I would consider a peavey classic 20 or 30 series amp. They are very affordable and durable, and sound much like a deluxe. I have a peavey classic 50 that I love. Hope this helps