How big a difference would new speakers make?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by greasykid, Jul 19, 2006.

1. greasykid

greasykid Member

So guys, I'm ready to order but I'm having second thoughts about losing cash. Would changing speakers really make a difference? My Silverface Twin Reverb has this old non-stock, probably reconed speakers. It sounds ok but I think it could be better. I'm getting Eminence Texas Heat and Red White & Blues.

About my ear, I can hear the difference between 2 sets of pickups on the same guitar or the difference between 2 tone capacitor values.

So will changing speakers really make a BIG difference? Thanks!

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes.

In the same range as changing the pickups on the guitar. Probably the largest individual factor excluding the overall type of the amp.

IMO, there are quite a few 'equivalent' factors with both guitars and amps, which have the same sort of effect on the overall tone. In rough order of importance, guitar / amp:

Overall guitar type (eg Strat/Les Paul) / overall amp circuit (eg Fender/Marshall)
    Pickups / speakers
    Woods / tubes
    Pots, caps and wiring / transformers, caps, resistors and wiring
    Hardware (eg bridge and nut material) / cabinet material
    Finish / cabinet covering and grille cloth

I think these are equivalents because each controls the way the signal is converted from movement (string) to electricity, and from electricity to movement (air) in the same sort of way, at each end of the chain.

Hope that's not too philosophical :).

3. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

+1 on what John said. Speakers can make a very substantial difference.

I'm going thru my own personal speaker search right now with my Soldano HR50+.

Steve

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

very nice! i had thought about that sort of hierarchy before but hadn't reduced it to such a clear expression. although i'm sure someone would disagree on the particular ordering, in general that seems to agree with my thoughts & experience...

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

To my ears, speaker swapping can change sound dramatically, probably more than other other change you could make without modifying the amp in some way.

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

So much depends on what those speakers are you currently have.
    Greg

7. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Yep, speakers make a huge difference. It's a relatively affordable way to modify your tone. Compared to buying a new amp anyway.

8. straticus

straticus Member

Agreed!

Speaker changes drastically change the tone of an amp. I've been on a speaker hunt for a while now. I've tried different Scumbacks, Eminence, Celestions and Webers. All great speakers but I've found my tonal nirvana with one Weber 30wt Silver Bell and one Weber 30wt Blue Dog loaded in a Top Hat 2x12 closed back cab. I can't quit playing the dang thing!

Short answer would be, yes!

9. seajay

seajay Member

Yep. Changing speakers can have a very dramatic effect on tone...at least to my ears.

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

A very noticeable one. Listen to John Phillips. He knows what the hell he's talking about.

I know you already ordered some speakers, but see if your guitar playing friends will let you put their speakers in your amp to see how you like that particular flavor of speaker in your amp. Make sure you understand power handling and impedance, and how to wire them before you do, if they are game.

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Great post. Not only are they equivalents in terms of the way they work on either end of the chain, but to me, changing one of those components or the other has about the same degree of audible effect, though I still say the guitar is king! lol

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Best bang for the buck tone change you can make.

13. greasykid

greasykid Member

I'm gonna have to pass on the Webers. Man, they are expensive!

Anyway, thanks guys!

14. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

That's very true. But in the spirit of disagreeing :p there are times when hardware can make more of a difference than stuff like caps, imho. Go from a .047 to a .022 tone cap, then go from a tune-o-matic to a floyd rose. Which will make a bigger difference?

Still, the order is pretty good overall.

15. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Speakers have almost as dramatic of an effect on your tone as different amps do... certainly as much or more of an impact that different pickups of the same type do.

16. Doodad

Doodad Member

Worked for me. I bought a Goodsell 17 that had Vintage 30s and waited for the Greenbacks to come back in stock. I loved the amp as is, but the change was huge and very much enjoyed. Even the wife noticed.

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Not a coincidence, I don't think.

Clean, yes - but the more distorted you get, the more the amp dominates. To take it to extremes, if you DI the guitar (the cleanest possible tone), that's all you'll hear really, despite fairly major component differences in the amplification; but if you stack up a couple of distortion pedals and run them into a high-gain amp, you often can't tell what type of guitar you're using - or even whether it's the bridge or neck pickup sometimes :).

For the sort of blues/classic-rock moderately overdriven sounds with mostly power-stage distortion that are mostly popular round here ;) it's about even, I would say...

:) - but I'd argue that replacing a tune-o-matic with a Floyd is more than just a 'hardware' change, it's almost changing the type of guitar in some ways, so it goes further up the list ;). I suppose I should have said 'equivalent type' hardware :p.

I'm still waiting for someone to laugh at the idea that cabinet covering makes a difference :D.

18. greasykid

greasykid Member

How about the fingers? Isn't tone in the fingers? :RoCkIn

19. straticus

straticus Member

I should have mentioned that I went with the ceramic versions. They're only $100ea new. Plus, you can find them used for around $80 shipped.

20. alanfc

alanfc Member

maybe related,

If I like the g12h30+V30 mix in my 2x12 for bedroom volumes, but find it mushy at high volumes, would a high watter like a Celestion CL-80 be more true as the volume increases?
    thanks