• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How 'big' is the Suhr company?

jero

Out of curiosity, since everybody around here (including me) seems to own at least one Suhr guitar :), I was wondering how big the company actually is:

1. how many guitars built per year?
2. how many builders employeed?
3. total headcount?

Glowing Tubes

Silver Supporting Member
All I know is they are growing. I would now call them a Medium Company luthier.:rolleyes: Especially if you start including amps, cabs and soon to be released pedals..
When will it end.. WHEN?

Great stuff comes out of that factory.

RC

JDouglee

I heard quite recently they were up to 75 per month, and moving to a much larger facility.

NuSkoolTone

Sounds cool. As you grow, just do everyone a favor and don't EVER become a publicly traded company. That's when most companies go to **** putting priority on quarter earnings for stock holders vs. the actual product that got them there.

jero

Ah, thanks for the insight!

The last paragraph of alexkahn's post is interesting, I think one of the biggest challenges for succesful 'small' companies (not only guitar builders) is to manage and control growth and not be seduced by short-term maximum production/sales/profit.

Suhr's a bit bigger than I thought actually :)

JDouglee

Sorry Ed, I didn't know about the building situation! That's great!

The Collier place has always been the home of Suhr to me :AOK

procos

Gold Supporting Member
I love my Suhr's(3 of them) and have another one on the way. Should be here anyday now. Suhr's are my favorite guitars hands down. I wasn't even a Strat player until I bought my firts Suhr and now I'll take my Suhr's over any guitar.

Chuck

Kevan

Holy crap were my numbers off!

Ed- are you sure it's 50,000~75,000/month from Fender-Asia? That seems really high.

ON TOPIC:
It'd be nice to see Suhr at those levels one day, all while maintaining the build quality and playability we've all come to know and love.

Best of luck to John and the crew!

Drunkagain

Amazing numbers is right. Holy crap!

Best of luck to you guys at Suhr for sure. Hope you can keep growing, making great guitars and stay profitable. :AOK

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Suhr said:
Fender is usually from 500 to 1000 guitars PER DAY!
No wonder the typical quality is so fabulous. At least it's not like an assembly line........:D

AJ Love

Very interesting thread... that is crazy that the Fender Custom Shop is turning out 1000 guitars a month... no wonder the QC on those has gone downhill since the mid-90's

I wish everyone at Suhr well... I've always liked the playability of the Suhr Guitars I've played

matte

jero said:
Out of curiosity, since everybody around here (including me) seems to own at least one Suhr guitar :), I was wondering how big the company actually is:

1. how many guitars built per year?
2. how many builders employeed?
3. total headcount?

Turbozag

Doesn't Suhr have their bodies and necks made for them by USA Custom? If so, there could be a slow-down in the mix.....

AJ Love

Turbozag said:
Doesn't Suhr have their bodies and necks made for them by USA Custom?.....
Is that true? USA Custom does nice work. I've got one of their T bodies on a Telecaster/Partscaster I put together. It certainly is an improvement over the Fender body I had before

Trending Topics