how big of a (pedaltrain?) board do i need??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Feb 5, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I've got most of my pedals set up, but i'm still adding a few more and messing around with different setups. Portability/space is pretty important to me so i don't want to end up with a huge pedalboard full of wasted space.

my setup is a little complicated because I use an a/b switch for clean and dirty pedals, and I also use an FX loop.

anyway, here are my pedals and pedals I plan on getting. I need a pedalboard soon - before i'd even have time to amass all the pedals i want, so i want to have a space saved for them when they get here... the ones with an asterisk are in the plan, but i don't have them yet.

anyway, everything hits the wah first. I might keep the wah off-board and not power it with an adapter since I don't have a problem pulling the cable out when its not in use b/c its first in the chain.

so here goes:

Vox clyde mccoy wah* (c'mon fedex... get your act together):

to a/b box

one side is clean and it works like this:

Peterson strobostomp 2*
    Dynacomp
    EHX Polychorus
    Earthquaker devices disaster delay w/ mod
    Volume pedal (considering switching to active)

this is how the dirt works out:

bc108 fuzzface (classic size)
    rangemaster clone*
    voodoo lab sparkle drive (used as boost)
    USA big muff
    Mesa boogie v-1 bottle rocket (en route)
    might add another dirtbox here*
    Volume pedal

FX loop:

Boss Ps-5 harmonizer
    Line 6 Rotomachine*
    Boss DD-6
    Boss RV-5*

the other thing i'm gonna do with my board though is I'll also be hiding an a/c strip on there since i'll obviously need multiple power supplies. My plan is to use a PP2 or TRex fuel tank for the fussy pedals (polychorus needs 24v, fuzzface and rangemaster would benefit from the sag feature). I'll probably run the v-1 bottle rocket with its own wall wart because of the power it needs to run those tubes. I'll just use a one-spot for the 5 pedals in the loop... since they probably won't be noisy in there and they aren't noisy pedals to begin with.

probably do something like fueltank to power:

fuzzface, big muff, sparkle drive, rangemaster, earthquaker delay, dynacomp, peterson, polychorus (bridging the 12v inputs), and maybe an active volume pedal.

so anyway, back to the point - the boards i've been looking at are the various pedaltrains, this ebay board, or a possible DIY job. I like the thought of a second tier for my FX loop pedals..... but i'm not sure what sizes are recommended, and i'm a noob when it comes to powering pedals.

anybody have thoughts??

2. guildchild

guildchild Member

i'd say just lay them all out in a manner that will work well for live situations, tape it off on the floor, measure it and order it. keep the frequently used pedals on the first floor and the "once in a whiles" on the 2nd tier. i spent weeks designing my signal path / layout before i ordered and i've discovered 2 things: 1. any open slots will get filled immediately and 2. i'm always messing around with different setups and my initial path isn't anything near what i started with. so, pick something that isn't overkill and you'll work it out.

i ended up going with a www.nycpedalboards.com "big shot". with george l's i can easily maximize space and signal path. nyc makes custom sized boards for a VERY reasonable surcharge. i couldn't be happier with my setup.

things to consider: i went with a split 2nd tier. that way i can have the wah first (far right) and the volume in the middle (post-dirt / pre-delay/mod). also, the tiers are high and wide enough to accomodate a power supply. i'm running a pp2 and a dc brick (which gives me 18v options and is plugged into the pp2 so i still only have 1 power cable to plug in). you may want to consider getting 3 tiers that can be place more modularly. in other words, don't get 2 of the same dimension. mine are 12" and 13" respectively (i think).

be VERY careful about size. i occasionally play venues where my board takes up more than my fair share of the stage. while it's nice because i'm "guaranteed" some movement room, the affected bandmates may not be so happy with it...especially if you're a hired gun and the artist is off center on the stage...can work against you quick!

as for the wah being off the board. i thought about this too and having the rc-20 off the board to the left. however, this board is intended to give you ease of carrying and quick set up time. as soon as you add in off-board pedals, you're increasing the trips from the van and set up time. i can be completely setup with 2 guitars tuned in about 4 mins if i HAVE to (and i have had to before).

the nyc stuff is really great. clearly more expensive than those 'bay boards, but worth it.

3. re-animator

WOW! thanks a bunch, that's awesome advice and a cool link. a lot of stuff i hadn't thought about.

NYC pedalboards seems like a cool place because the money isn't much more than the ebay stuff, because it includes the case and seems a lot heavier duty.

My only concern at this point is the placement of the tier like you said, since wah always comes first for me and volume always comes near the end of the normal chain, so the tier would have to be in the middle somewhere, or the board would be gig enough for the volume pedal to fit in front of the 2nd tier.

4. re-animator

yeah PT-pro softcase is still on my list. pedals aren't easy to damage, and the lightweight that a softcase imparts is pretty appealing.

I'll make some paper cutouts of the pedals that I haven't gotten yet and lay it out on a taped PT pro.

5. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

This is a PT2, I'd say you'll need the pro... One thing to remember is it'll be really hard to squeeze a bunch of those wall warts under a PT2. I had to move the Whammy supply between the Tuner and the Tremolo, since it rubbed on the floor.

[​IMG]

6. re-animator

ahhh... hopefully the mesa will be the only wall-wart needed. Just outlets for the fuel tank, onespot, bottle rocket, and maybe my amp.

Looks like a pro will be a good fit. I have a few pedals en route right now, so by the end of the week I should have a good idea of what i need space wise... or its cardboard cutout time :)

7. guildchild

guildchild Member

the tiers on my board are split. i have enough room for a standard wah at the far right, then close the middle there's a gap to allow for the EB volume (NOT small). so nothing needs to fit in front.

DON'T forget to accomdate for your cables! a lot of pedals have the I/O jack in the same spot. if you can offset these slightly, you'll gain that extra 1/2 inch between pedals.

not to plug nyc again, but take a look at their customers' shots. there are a few on there that have the split riser. not that PT is bad. plenty of my counterparts use them successfully.