1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How big of a problem is this? (crack)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Auggie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Auggie

Auggie Member

The guitar is an Epiphone Masterbuilt DR500MCE. Dealer says will take 80$ off the price. Fair? How big a deal is this? Guitar sounds wonderful otherwise
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brien

Brien Member

I could be repaired but not for less than $80. The question is, why did it happen? Impact? Any other isssues? That's a significant split.

3. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

That sort of thing happens when the guitar is squeezed too hard while in a gig bag. To fix it properly, your luthier needs to employ a tool called a brace jack, which is a mini version of what you might use to jack up a sagging joist under your house. There is loads of gluing surface, plus it's the back and not the top - prognosis is good.

I would probably charge around $40 for that repair in my shop assuming no other issues, for reference.

Good luck,

Rob

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I don't see it as a big deal. I ain't no luthier butwas able to repair broken braces in a 1920s Regal myself using one of those brace jacks mentioned in an above post.