How big should the band stage be?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jun 24, 2018.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

For comfort how big should a nice band stage be?

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Depends on the band (number of people, type of instruments, activity level of the members).

A 3 piece jazz band doesn’t need the same room as a high energy 7 piece rock band.

For my 4-5 piece rock bands I typically want about 6-8 feet from the amp to the monitors so I can hear the amp (directional sound) and move around (I’m a little active on stage). I also typically need room for a half stack, 3-Guitar stand, and a pedalboard. Nice to have room behind the amp for empty cases and my jacket.

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

8x8 foot for drummers and keyboardists, 6x6 foot for every one else is a good starting point.

Paleolith54 and 2HBStrat like this.
  4. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Large enough so a pic doesn't show you all crowded together as if you're playing in someone's library. Add to that about four square feet per player for the times when you really get into it and might have your eyes closed. Then add an additional four square feet to use to regain your balance when you trip over a cable or monitor while playing with your eyes closed.

Pablomago and mikebat like this.
  5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

We played on a new stage at an old venue last night. 12' deep, which is good and which I measured but I'm guessing only 16' across ( too small for the 4 piece band in which our singer stands in the middle of the stage in front of the drummer) and.....no electricity on stage....none!

Felt really cramped.....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  6. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

So two singers? Like in a I back formation?

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

I’ve been out of the gigging scene for far too many years, you guys can actually specify how big your stages are these days?

:hide

Lef T, marktweedy and sixstringfuel like this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I meant that the singer stands in front of the drum set.....fixed....thanks....

sixstringfuel likes this.
  9. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I suspect more than a few of us have played on cramped stages and in venues that had no room or business having live entertainment in them

The worst (2 different places!) were when the bass player had to move over to the side every time the girls went into the ladies room - we even had to skip the songs he sang, because it just wasn't practical

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I know the feeling...... We used to play in a place....cramped over in the corner..and girls would walk between me and my mic stand to go the the restroom....

11. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I refuse to play on anything smaller than 60’ x 40.’
    I need that much room to fit my ego.

Unfortunately, I think most stages (or stage areas) are about 20’ x 10.’

12. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

16x12 is plenty.. tell the singer to get over his self and just move a foot or 2.

13. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I'm so used to playing bar gigs where there isn't a real stage, just say a dining area cleared out ( like by a front/bay window or rear corner...).so I'm used to pretty small spaces
    The temptation ( IMO) is to spread out TOO MUCH, when playing a big stage- I don't mind the extra room, but feel we play and sound better when we we still close to each other ( "We are family..." - love my little band!)

14. somecafone

somecafone Member

15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

How big is the stage in that pic of BB King wearing shorts?

Sancho likes this.
  16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

"Should" isn't usually a factor. Touring groups often specify a minimum in contract riders. Bar band take what's there.

17. stevel

stevel Member

Well, there's what you get stuck with, and what you'd be comfortable on, what you'd prefer, and what you dream about.

16' across the front is really a good fit for your typical Guitar, Bass, Vocals, and Drums band.

Here's the thing I'm not sure anyone's addressed yet:

We get so used to playing dinky stages that when we do finally get a big stage not only are we ecstatic, but we want to spread out and use the entire stage.

BIG MISTAKE!

I've been on stages where the sound from the drums from the monitors reaches me BEFORE the actual sound of the drums onstage due to speed of sound!

Unless you usually play on larger stages and are used to it, it's ALWAYS a good idea to still set up "tight" and just not use the extra stage width (and/or depth). It doesn't have to be as tight as the corner down at the local Pub 'n' Grub - you can expand a little - but don't get too far apart just because you can.

16 wide and 12 deep is pretty reasonable for a typical 4-5 piece band.

Take some 4x8 sheets of plywood (cheap OSB or something) and lay them out and position your band comfortably on them. A rectangle of 4 gives you 16 x 8.

An average 2 car garage is at a minimum 20x20. If you practice in a garage like this only using roughly half the garage you're at 20x10 - a little extra wiggle room (probably filed with junk or space you can't use) that gets you around 16x8. That should give you an idea.

I think you'll notice though, 8' is probably not as deep as you'd like with the drum kit too far forward and you have to split to the sides and go wider - fine for a 3 piece but if you've got a "frontperson" you want center stage in front of the drums, you need more depth.

2HBStrat likes this.
  18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Big enough to hold Stonehenge. :aok

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Got the reference. :beer

Funny thing is that in pretty much every jazz group I've worked with, we set up in a semi circle so we can see each other. I've gotten to much prefer that arrangement for any music.

OTOH, I've also played in places where I had to step aside so patrons could get to the washrooms.

ant_riv likes this.
  20. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

Most of them aren't nearly big enough and most aren't "stages" either in the bar circuit around here. I love playing at the local civic center that has a HUGE stage, flying PA rig and an honest to goodness backstage with restrooms, lounge, kitchen you name it. Most places we are on the floor and make the best of it.