How can a guitar produced on a CNC machine be considered "Historic"?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lemonpaul59, Apr 13, 2016.

1. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

Hello all,

Apparently, on "True" "Historics", Gibson runs the LP top through the CNC machine again ("double cut"). Apparently they do this so they don't have to pass it through a belt sander, like the "Standard" "Historic". Doing it this way preserves the arch better, so I've read.

I'm willing to bet that Gibson did not have CNC machines in 1959, and certainly couldn't be double cutting the archtops of Les Pauls. They used a belt sander.

I've got a couple of Historic LPs, they're fantastic guitars. I don't feel a need to buy a "True" one though. Belt sanding is fine with me;)

2. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

So you're saying Gibson doesn't build guitars like they used to?o_O

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Jeez, man - all the troubles in the world, and you gotta whine about this one? PUHLEEZE.

4. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

They're part of the new True Semantics line up.

scolfax, TBennetts, shane8 and 16 others like this.
  6. fred dons

fred dons Member

the "issue" is that the current carve for production is not similar to the 50ties and with a beltsander alone you cannot create the recurve the originals had. the "true historic" copies the carve from some of the originals and for that process a CNC is perfect.
    (but yes they are slighlty overpriced ;) , just got my a Players choice from Session.de and they are much more reasonable priced for the same guitar)

7. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

How can a guitar produced on a CNC machine be considered historic? I don't know. How can a guitar made five minutes ago be considered historic?

8. pepedede

pepedede Member

in the 50's gibson used a pin router to carve the tops of the guitars, a wheel would roll over the top of a dummy top and the router would follow the contour of the dummy for the top being carved.

CNC is just a modern version of doing the same job, far quicker.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

AND, Gibson Custom still does that exact thing...just not for the LPs. I saw it in person a few weeks ago. Might have been for the L5s, or some of the other guitars. LPs use CNC machines for efficiency.

This is a manufactured complaint.

10. atallen

atallen Member

But is the complaint manufactured the same way complaints were made in the '50s?

11. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I don't care if it's made on a 3D printer, as long as it sounds good.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

13. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I have discussions with people on truly hand carved vs CNC all the time. I have built guitars both ways and let me tell you, the CNC is the best way to replicate something consistently, hands down. What it really comes down to for some people is whether the "story" of the build is something you are buying as well as the final product.

14. klatuu

klatuu Member

If Gibson can't make a historic issue good enough for you, then you can double your investment and get a makeover.
    Wives always approve makeovers.

15. gmann

gmann Member

Not Historic but Historically correct. The CNC machines keep them consistent fm one to the next. People bitch about prices now, if all the hand work that was done in '50's/'60's was being done now the cost would be much greater and they would be turning out great guitars along with below avg. guitars which happened more often than you think. Leo Fender would've given his left nut for a CNC machine. (I think)

16. dconeill

dconeill Member

Shhh - don't tell anyone - it's all marketing

superstratjunky, pbmw and peskypesky like this.
  17. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

usually someone will come along and quip "doesn't matter, they're still making money"

but with all the financial shenanigans Gibson is into these days, that's not quite the case

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

19. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Gibson instruments were factory produced in the 50s-60s as well. They weren't artisan builds, it's just that the maufacturing process was different then.
    McCarthy would have used CNCs if he's had them in 58.

jads57, Darkburst, bluesjuke and 3 others like this.
  20. f550maranello2

f550maranello2 Member

Nothing wrong with CNC machines.. Cars in 1959 had carburetors does that make them better?
    Nobody in their right mind (unless its a small shop or in asia) would do this by hand anymore. First because there are no more skilled people that work in factories , and second nobody would want to pay them to learn how. Machine tools have been around since the late 60's. Working with wood or being a machinist used to be a highly skilled job. Now its a job anyone with a heart beat can learn..

Jabberwocky likes this.