How can I achieve Santana-like sustain?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by skyblue, Oct 30, 2005.

1. skyblue

skyblue Member

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to guitars. I've
    been trying to learn some Santana songs, but always seem to fall short when I try to emulate his guitar's sustain. Is is at all possible to achieve this tone with either my stock strat or SG plugged straight into the amp, or will I need the help of a pedal to get that kind of sustain? If so, what pedal will let me come closest to his "sustain-for-days" tone? :confused:
    Thanks for your comments...

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

i'd stick with a humbucker equipped guitar like your SG (vs. a strat), but it's hard to say more w/out knowing what amp you have.

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A good overdrive pedal (and there are many good inexpensive pedals) will go a long way in improving sustain and thickening your tone. A compresser is a great little tool to help as well, especially in conjunction with overdrive. AC

5. skyblue

skyblue Member

Thanks, guys. AC, I do notice a slight improvement in the length of my sustain when I use my DS-1. I guess I'll need to try using it in conjunction with a Compressor/Sustainer to see if there's a dramatic improvement. BTW, I play through a Peavey Classic 20 and a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket, if it matters. Any suggestions as to what settings I should be using?

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Kinda kidding...although louder will exhibit more continuity of sound. If your amp has master volume or gain settings, utilize them for higher gain (eg. lower master/higher volume) , and you needn't have the overall volume at tinnitus inducing levels. Same with your pedals...higher gain and comp settings will result in higher sustain. If your choices in amp/guitar/pedals are of sufficient quality and work well together, you'll still hear surprising articulation (like Santana) even at fairly saturated settings. Bottom line...experiment. Those are the basic tools that'll getcha real close. Then get an endorsement deal with PRS, and you're there!

7. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

That's actually how he did it, using VOLUME!

Even before Mesa Boogie, PRS, or pedals. And that's one of the reasons he does not play Strats (that much).

8. 1964

1964 Member

9. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

[​IMG]

This will get you part of the way there. Then use a lot less treble than normal, and get as loud as you can !!! :dude

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Santana plays loud. He also walks around on stage during his rehearsal playing till he finds the sweet spots on stage where his guitar feeds back. He then marks the spot with tape. He'll go back to these spots for feedback during solos.

11. cuttooth21

cuttooth21 Member

A good compressor will get you good sustain. I can get what seems like infinite sustain with a Barber Tone Press, some OD and my Strat.

12. littlemoon

littlemoon Member

Be sure to put the compressor before the OD pedal.

littlemoon

13. skyblue

skyblue Member

thanks, littlemoon. actually got a used CS-3 today, and am excited to see how it sounds with my DS-1.

anyone have the link showing the proper sequence of hooking up pedals?

14. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Daddyo tells true.

I've heard Carlos himself speak at length about this.

I'd plug straight into the amp (preferably the MESA), select the neck pickup, turn the gain way up and otherwise fiddle with the tone controls until it sounds good.

Look at the back of the Subway Rocket. Is there a speaker jack marked "half power" ? If so, plug the speaker into that jack instead of the normal one. This will allow you to crank the master volume and get some power tube distortion happening without getting painfully loud. 20 watts can hurt. :(

That rig may not get you his exact tone, but it should get you pretty close.

Hope this helps.

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i can see it now.
    burnt out guitar player flaked out on the sidewalk in tattered clothes. open guitar case.
    he says to every passerby, "hey buddy, spare 20 grand for a dumble?"