How can I add these "non-musical" sounds into my songs

rockdoctor42

I'm writing a song called "The Library of Forbidden Books" and I need a series of sound effects to happen before the music kicks in.

They are as follows:

1: Eerie wind howls
2: Door creaks open
3: Door slams shut and echoes - eerie wind ends
4: Weird whispery sound echoes for a bit

What's a good way to get these sounds without recording a blizzard and a door in a medieval castle.

RockinRob

I used to run a whole haunted house thing when kids were younger, and all these Halloween sounds were readily available online. Just port the .wav into a DAW.

if u need to recreate them yourself, then old analog synths or plugs can do a lot of wind blowing and creaking. Otherwise you are gonna have to go old school and just start tweaking your own recordings.

speakerjones

I personally love doing field recordings, so I try to get as much of that stuff as I can on my own. However there are plenty of free-source sound effects on the web. Just google "free sound effects" and you'll find some. You may have to sign up at a couple of sites, and weed through some stuff til you find what you're looking for. Then you can just download and import the files into your song, or if you end up with a lot of different files, you may want to start a separate session for the sound effects track, and then bounce and import that as a stereo track.

Multicellular

Make the recordings.
Easiest way we've found to add things live is a JamMan SoloXT.
One pedal space, 9v (takes a good deal of mAs though)
You can set it to loop or play oneshots.

for the door and whispers, just do a regular door and get some crazy reverb in your DAW.
recording wind is tougher. I'd find a sample online.

335guy

I have an older Roland XV-88 keyboard that has many of these atmospheric sounds built in. Footsteps, thunder crashes, creaky doors, just a whole slew of strange, odd sounds. Never recorded any, but if you can't find what you're looking for, PM me and tell me what you want. I'll record the sound/s in a wav file and send them to you :)

rockdoctor42

Ok, I've got something down that sounds pretty cool. I need a sound that I've heard on a couple of dream theater's records, it sounds kind of like a geyser or something: a "FFFT" kind of sound.

Trending Topics