1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How can I do this with one amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Noah, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Noah

Noah Member

My dream rig is so simple, but I can't figure out a way to do it.
    I've messed with so many amps and pedals, but everything gets too complicated and I want to keep it simple.
    I would like to use only 1 amp live and I really only need 3 disinct sounds and 3 different volumes.

The clean channel would have some light effect like a chorus or slight phase, the rock rythym channel be very chunky like a Foo fighters sound with no extra effects, and the lead channel use a slight delay and cool flange or phaser (maybe my Murf or Foxrox TZF) with one of my OD pedals so it gets a slightly different tone, but with a major volume boost.

I've tried just using a looper pedal with different effects, but then I have to also hit the channel switcher for my amp. It's too much footwork.

Then the main problem is the volume boost on the lead channel. I really need that to cut through and soar above the mix because we are a loud rock band with 2 guitarists and my leads are always buried. I'm tired of people saying they can see my hands moving but can't hear my solos. We don't have a set soundman so I'm at the mercy of whoever is running the board that night.

I'm a lead singer also, so I need to be able to hit just one button for each channel and not worry about hitting several switches for each sound. Any ideas??? It's sounds so easy in theory...

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Solutions I have considered (in order of $$$)

Be more realistic with your needs
    Hire a guitar tech (intern)
    Loopmaster Clean Dirty effects switcher
    Radial Switchbone
    WOBO prog looper
    Axcess GFX4
    Ground Control

[After trying a few, I settled on #1, after all it's live rockshow, right?

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The WOBO ProgLooper has four loops (your three loops plus a tuner/mute loop), each stomp has small corresponding DIP on/off switches for each loop, so it is still analog, but you can program it.

In addition, it will switch the channel on your amp via an independent switch (one of the top left-most ones) AND/OR from your programmed presets.

Search for "wobo ebay proglooper" and check it out, there are a bunch of details and illustrated examples on their ebay pages... I have a great unit from WOBO that I dreamed up and emailed them about.

4. lukeness

lukeness Member

What i would do is build a looper pedal with 3 loops. Right below each loop switch, I'd rehouse the channel switching switches so I can stomp on the loop switch and channel switch at the same time.

Code:

|        O               O              O           |
    |                                                   |
    |        O               O              O           |
    |       ch1             ch2            ch3          |
     ---------------------------------------------------

5. OUTLAW1969

OUTLAW1969 Member

One option would be to possibly use a rack system and a midi controlled footboard (with memory bank for settings). You could save each preset for each individual effect, and only the effects that you want utilized at the time.

Costly and time consuming to initially setup, but simple and easy to use once it is ready to use.

Just a thought. I used to go that route when playing out, but finally simplified my rig again a few years ago.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's what the ProgLooper does with four loops, leaving out the two-piece solution, MIDI, banks and is simple to setup for $320. I am going to accrue a few more pedals before I decide how I want them to make my next custom unit, which will likely be an advanced proglooper with some extra loops and options (routing relays, stereo outs, 4-1 mixer for wet effects)... I investigated the rack gear + midi controller and it is vastly more expensive a solution.

7. Noah

Noah Member

Lukeness idea looks exactly like what i need. Can the proglooper do that? i mean if I used a 3 channel amp like a dual rectifier, Can the Wobo switch between all 3 channels and have a different effects chain in each channel? how would I set it up to channel switch like that with the amp? If it can do that, I'll buy it.
    Thanks!

8. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

If the proglooper can't do that, Loop-master can probably build something for that will switch channels and simultaneously switch loops in and out, probably for a fairly reasonable price point...www.loop-master.com...

9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I, too, would be interested in hearing the results, I'm glad you posted the thread! I'm sick of having to footswitch 2 buttons on my amp's footswitch and then dance over to the overdrive pedal on my pedalboard, life would certainly be easier if it was all done in one stomp :)

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The stock ProgLooper won't do that, but if you shoot an email to wobo, I'm sure they'd make one for you that can do that.

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The stock ProgLooper won't do that, but if you shoot an email to wobo, I'm sure they'd make one for you that can do that.

12. Noah

Noah Member

I swear I'd pay just about any price to have that work! 3 channels, 3 sounds, 3 volumes, 3 switches.... sounds easy

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I've always suffered from the same problems...i've never found pedals a good way of soaring about the din of the band in full flight. For me the rack was the solution.
    I love my AC30, CAE OD-100 with pedals...awesome tone but doesn't 'really' cut the way i like for solos. My rig now consists of a CAE 3+SE preamp into a Boogie 2.90 poweramp controlled by my Ground Control & GCX. My pedals are still in there plus i've got the G-Major for the stereo split and delays...everything set by a foot switch. Clean, Crunch, Lead and a Boost with extra EQ on top...all this plus tap tempo. Sweet, simple and hopefully bulletproof...ish :)

14. codeorama

codeorama Member

Buy an H&K switchblade.
    Awesome amp.