How can I get a AC30TB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tanner Vix, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

I was looking at the new Vox AC30CC2X as well but was wondering:

1) Are they still making the TB?

2) Is this considered a vintage amp now so that I have to find a used one?

From reading here on the forum the last ones made were made from Korg UK correct?

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

From what I understand, they aren't making the UK AC30TBX anymore. The CC has a top boost channel, along with a normal channel. To many, the CC actually sounds more like a JMI-era AC30, so long as you run the master on full. I have one, and I love the tone. I'm just a little concerned about the build quality. But then again, the UK Voxes had QC issues, too.

I still think that, for the price, you can't beat the Valvetech Hayseed 30. It's a hand-wired, P2P AC30 clone for less than $1,200. I would have ordered one (I still might), but the 8-10 week wait was too much. I have gigs to play.

3. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Couple of questions about the CC since you have one:

1) Do you find yourself using both channels?

2) Can you switch between channels with a footswitch or do you need an A/B/Y box?

3) Is the trem, reverb footswitchable? Is there a boost on the footswitch?

4) Do you have the $1600 2X or the $1000 greenback version? and is there big difference?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a great amp.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

1. JMI AC30-they're still out there. I have a combo that needs an OT and has the wrong speakers. With the correct parts it'd sell in Minneapolis for $7k, without them, it'd sell for about $2k. Pretty good for one of the iconic sounds of the 20th century.

2. Korg Reissues with the blues-have been gigged by many and wear pretty well.

3. AC30CC-if you get a good one, they're supposed to sound great and should be easy to get fixed. QC problems are fairly common...

4. Hayseed-hard to find, PTP and probably the most reliable alternative.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

1) Do you find yourself using both channels? Not really. I link the two via a switch (same as using a jumper in older models) and run the TB around 12:00 and the Normal channel around 3:00, with the master all the way up.

2) Can you switch between channels with a footswitch or do you need an A/B/Y box? no

3) Are the trem, reverb switchable? Is there a boost?Yes. A two-button footswitch is included (a very cheap one, I might add). I don't use either the 'verb or trem, so I don't use the footswitch. No built-in boost, but I do use a germanium treble boost pedal for leads. It sounds great.

4) Do you have the $1600 2X or the $1000 greenback version? and is there big difference? I got the $1,000 version with Vox speakers. They actually sound really nice. I've got a ceramic Tone Tubby sitting around that I might throw in there, but I do like the tone as-is. I haven't played the Blues yet. It seems like an awful lot of dough for a couple of speakers.

6. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

What does the JMI stand for?

The Korg ones were strict reissues correct? There weren't any "original" Korgs correct?

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

Jennings Musical Instruments or Jennings Music Industries, I think. In any case, it's named for Vox founder Tom Jennings. He made an ill-advised licensing deal with the Thomas Organ Company in 1965 or so, which cranked out solid-state Vox amps in the US. From there, it was sold to Rose Morris and then Korg, I think (who also own Marshall).

JMI-era amps are the most desirable (and most expensive). Think "Pre-CBS Fender."

On edit, I think the new CCs are more "correct" due to the fact that they actually tried to make clones of the Haddon output transformers (or Albion, I'm not sure).

But the other poster is right. There are many lemons out there. If you get a good one, though, hang onto it.

8. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

bscepter could you explain that jumper trick with a little more detail? Is it an actual external box you use?

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

No. You just take a short patch cord and run it from one of the normal inputs channel into the other top boost channel input, while your guitar is plugged into the other TB input (I think). This can also be done with some Marshalls (I've done it on a Blues Breaker).

10. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Oh, okay. I didn't think it had that many inputs. Thanks.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think the TBX has six inputs, actually.

12. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

Agreed. Very helpful at the PP.

14. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

So many forums, so little time!