how can i get a natural chorus with my trem + delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Feb 22, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i remember reading somewhere that a chorus is basically a trem+delay. i've got a cusack tapawhirl and diamond memory lane, so i wanna see if i can get any chorusy sounds out of it. if this is possible, how should i set the pedals? fast speeds i'm guessing?

or am i totally wrong, and is this impossible?

thanks, jon

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

If you could do a mild pitch shift and put it into the delay-only signal, yeah; that would do chorusey thing. Tremolo is just volume modulation, though; so no chorus.

3. erksin

erksin Member

Right - chorus involves some amount of pitch modulation, not volume modulation like tremolo...

4. themusicboxstudios

5. blrogers

blrogers Member

if you have another amp you can run the wet side of the memory lane into one with the pitch shift on and the dry to the other and you can get something close.

b

6. themusicboxstudios

ya, i tried a stereo setup for the first time today with my ftr37 and a vox ac30cc. sound amazing. totally made me want to go to a stereo setup.

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

maybe I am crazy, but when I run 2 delays at once (I like to use the ibanez dl-5 and EM-5 or sad-1 and em-5) I get smoewhat of a nice full delay sound with a kinda chorus to it.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I plan on experimenting with this soon. Maxon AD-999 on the way. I'll try it with my Magnatone M10A (with built-in, true pitch shifting vibrato), also with other amps in combination with the Austone Vibrostomp (with the true pitch-shift vibe). The Maggie at full intensity vibe is to my ears much preferable to an outright chorus effect, certainly different than tremelo. It will be neat to see what delay adds to that.

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

The Marshall VT-1 Vibatrem on the vibrato setting into a delay is great for less money that something like the Austone, and would get you much further towards chorusey-type sounds than a trem into delay...

What'd be really cool is to get a delay with an FX loop and put the VT-1 into the effects loop. The buildyourownclone delay used to come with a fully-loaded deluxe option to build it with a loop, but I think that kit has been temporarily discontinued for the time being.

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Some people mix tremolo and vibrato around, maybe they meant vibrato + delay. Cause you are modulating pitch (like a vibrato) and (slightly) delaying that signal, and then mixing it back in with the dry. There's the chorus sound.