How can I get more mids from my AC30 style amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a Dr. Z Mazerati that has a very nice round sound to it but is lacking the thick mids needed to push an amp through the mix. I've tried diff preamp (5751, 12AX7, ECC81, ECC83) and rectifier tubes (5AR4, SS)as well as diff speakers/speaker cabs (including Marshall 412 w/ Greenbacks), Dr. Z ZBest 212 w/ one Greenback and one G12H30, open back particle board cab with two Vintage 30's).

I'm comparing this amp to a Dr. Z Rt. 66 (2x KT66, EF86, Tube rectifier) which is just beautiful and think in the mids. Overall...a more focused sound.

I know these aren't the same amp nor ever will be but playing the 66 makes me want to thicken up the mids on my 'Rati (it's almost too pretty, I want to "mean" it up a little). Thanks

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Get an EQ pedal. I've heard good things about the EH Tube EQ w/true bypass.

EP

3. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

Cheap solution: try boosting the input with a Tube Screamer or similar pedal, which are known for the mid-range bump. Crank the output, keep the drive low. If you have one with a bass control, like say, a Bad Monkey, you can even avoid the usual low-end attenuation that comes with Screamer type pedals.

D7

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

No real answer for you, but you might want to investigate here: http://drzamplifiers.proboards41.com/ if you haven't done so already. Lots of Z users there who are really enthusiastic about their amps and helpful.

5. myles111

myles111 Member

The KT66 has much fuller lows and mids than an EL84 and the Route 66 is also ultra linear output. Very different amps.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

When guys discover the power of an EQ pedal,their amps are transformed.You don't butcher your amp looking for a cetain tone and you get it by moving a slider.You can also get a great overdrice sound from an EQ pedal.The MXR is my favourite.They work very well.

7. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

I use a Boss EQ and it does wonders for my amp.

8. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a Boss EQ & I have no idea how to set it where it still makes my amp sound like an amp...it just sounds so processed afterward. I'm looking to bolster the mids and focus the tone. Any suggested settings for AC30 type amp?

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

To oversimplify but not be too far off the mark, a Maz is an AC30 and a Rt 66 is a JTM45. Completely different beasts.

One will not sound like the other, no matter the tubes, speakers, or pedal used.

Try thicker picks (I'm quite serious), but you might just trade for a Rt 66 if that's the sound you really want.

10. maddtapper

maddtapper Member

Clean boost? I use a Fulltone FatBoost with great results.... Using a clean boost will thicken your tone significantly...:cool:

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

given how different those amps are and everything you've tried, it sounds like a pedal is the best approach. i'd second a TS type pedal because of the mid hump. vaughn cost and keeley have some mods that give adjustable bass and compression controls. so you don't really use it for gain so much as tonal coloration. and the BJF LGW has a nice mid hump without cutting too much bass or adding too much compression.

some of the dumble-style overdrives might also help as they tend to be mid-rich. again, just keep the gain down lower and turn the volume up. lots of good options in this camp - hermida, menatone, ethos, jetter ... the menatone and the ethos have the advantage of having a "clean" channel that really doesn't add much drive but shifts the eq around. (the gaspedals dumb bell i think also has this to some extent)

and an EQ pedal might obviously help. the BJF SBEQ is nice, and i have a little BYOC 10-band eq that does a nice job.

12. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks for the help.

I love my Mazerati but I also love my '73 Super Lead but I also love my '59 Bassman Reissue but I also love my Silverface Twin (and I love this Rt.66 that I'm borrowing). My favorite amp is the one I'm playing through AND whatever's closest one in my vicinity:drool

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

My AC30-style amp is a TopHat King Royale ..no lack of available mids there..

That said, I like .. no . . LOVE to use germanium frequency boosters.

My pedal of choice is an HBE Germacide. GAIN and VOL controls and a
    5-way selector for different mid-freq. points -> upper treble boost.

Works perfect.