How can I get my AC30 to sound "fuller?"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Progman, Sep 17, 2012.

1. mAx___

mAx___ Member

I agree with those suggesting Boost pedals instead of Overdrives. If yours is a 2011 Custom series then you should be OK since the amp should not sound thin at all to begin with. If it is a CC series instead...I'd invest some money in some necessary mods to make it sound right with pedals first. Otherwise you'll be wasting your money on the pedal alone.

2. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Did anyone mention the Durham Sexdrive? If you want a pedal to make the Vox sound fuller, that's the ticket.

3. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

1. Buy a Matchless
    2. Sell me your AC30 so I can run it stereo with my Matchless for super fatness

4. emdub123

emdub123 Supporting Member

Once, someone told me to close my eyes before I started turning knobs on my AC30. The point was that you would automatically dismiss settings that sounded good just because they looked "crazy". For example, with strats/teles you can dime the bass and zero the treble and it will actually sound really good. If you're still stuck in Fender-land with regard to your settings, that might have something to do with it??

5. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Rangemaster.
    Check out Rory Gallagher -- Strat -> Rangemaster -> AC30

I had good luck with an old MXR Microamp into my AC30 too

6. buzzp

buzzp Member

Question for the OP-

are you looking for a "fuller" sound or more "3d" sound?

7. memiller

memiller Member

This sounds simple, but a lot of people overlook the fact that Vox EQ is done totally different from pretty much everything else.

Start by putting everything on ZERO. Then start twisting to the right to add what you need. A little more presence, about half up on the bass, give me a bit of treble here... done.

8. GA20T

GA20T Member

I agree based on experience with an Ibanez TS. Never did those two meet again.

Absolutely. Forget what you think you know about EQ and turn that amp up.

9. davebc

davebc Member

Get a Marshall :rotflmao

Sorry couldn't resist

10. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

My 'secret weapon' for AC30s is a Box of Rock. Keep the gain low, and it won't sound too Marshally. The extra bass in the pedal works for Miles Kane and it works for me.

11. Psyfuzz

Psyfuzz Member

What? Not only is that a stupid response, but a Marshall sounds nothing like a Vox...

I know this is a weird method, but I thicken up my AC30 by using my Voodoo Vibe as an 'always-on' pedal, by turning the intensity off and messing with the bias, it buffers the signal, removes noise and messy mids, cleans and boosts the bass response and overall warmth. I run my fuzz before it as it also reduces feedback whilst thickening it. This may not be useful to use, but maybe look into an EQ/Buffer type pedal, like the Giggity. Might be just what you need :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  12. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

One small note about the Rory comment .... He used the Rangemaster plugged into the 'normal' channel (or whatever Vox calls it) not the 'bright' channel. And a lot of volume!

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

This, plus get it off the ground and onto a chair or stand or something. I don't know how to explain it and I've never liked this with other amps, but my AC30 always sounded better when I got it off the ground. It was a dull thud on the ground, but rich and 3d on a folding chair...very weird.

14. buzzp

buzzp Member

I wonder if that's why most Vox are on amp stands...

15. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I asked about this in a separate thread, but have you tried jumping the two channels or running them side-by-side using an a/b/y box?

16. stratboy01

stratboy01 Member

I used a Keeley modded Blues Driver, (fat switch engaged) and used the pedal settings as a clean boost. It really made my AC30-based amp sound full with my Strat. I also put a weber ceramic and WGS Reaper 55hz in my 2x12 semi-open back cab. My strat really had good tones with this speaker combination.

17. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

Strange. I've always felt amps sounded their best when sitting directly on a wood floor.

18. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Me too, except with Voxes. Don't understand why.

19. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Get two! and a dolly.

Or combine it with a Marshall, pretty great sound there.

20. Progman

Progman Member

I put a pedal connector into the high top boost and the low normal and i plug my guitar into the low top boost. It doesn't sound thin, I just want it to sound more open. I also do the put it on a chair and tilt it back trick.