How can I improve my Crate V1512

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gmann1956, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I was wondering if there is a way I can clean up the sound on my little V15 with the stock 12" Celestion, and make it more uh.... clean sounding???

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

Probably the best way is to sell it and get a Palomino V32 from GC for just about $350.00. Really, I'm serious. Rather than trying to turn your amp into something it is not and taking the chance of spending money on tubes and speakers with the big chance that it might not get where you want it to go simply because of lack of watts and knowing that you will probably never get your money and time back out of it when it is time to sell, just get the real deal. Its a lot easier, probably cheaper and probably a better amp in the end. Everyone seems very happy with their Palominos. If your amp had the watts, it would be a different story.

3. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I actually did think of doing that, but I was also thinking more along the lines of maybe a Tone Tubby, that maybe that would help clean and warm it up???

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

A more efficient speaker will add clean volume. The stock 70/80 speaker is rated at 98 db. Using a large magnet Celkstion rated at 100 db is almost like doubling the power thru the existing speaker(3 db increase in sensitivtity is like doubling the power thru the same speaker) Of coarsethis is a long way to go for the amp and although it may sound better and have a bit more headroom the V32 as suggested may be the way to go. I love mine. Bob

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Doesen't the amp have a 12ax7 in the v1? Put a 12 at7 in its place, that'll give more head room.

6. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

Wow, thanks folks, I think that the V32 is looking better by the day. I guess I at least need to try one of the V32's out before going the other routes. Thanks again.

7. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I tried one of the Crate V32's (Head) with a 2x12 bottom, it was nice but I gotta say I wasn't totally sold, after comparing it with a used Fender Deville 2x12 (much cleaner with a better sounding reverb IMO), I also tried out a Peavey Delta Blues 30 watt with the 1x15 configuration, and that too was a very nice clean sounding amp with a sweet sounding reverb. The Fender was a little cheaper in price being that it was used, (about $100 difference from the Peavey) decisions, decisions???.......:confused:

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

Trust your ears!

That said ... what was the 2x12 you tried with the Crate? Was it a matching Crate cab? I personally think that purely on tone (so ignoring things like looks, weight, features, build quality, resale) the Crate is the better sounding amp of those three in combo format, and the Crate combo vs Crate Head with a Tone Tubby equipped Crate 2x12 ... well I thought that the Head+Cab combination was like polishing an already sparkling gem.

Depends on whether you want only clean though (no need for dirt at all). Comparing just clean channels, I'd still put the Crate ahead ... but I must admit I've never played one at full tilt on the clean to see how clean it stays.

Good luck!

9. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

Martin,
    Yes it was the matching Crate 2x12 cab. Not really a bad sound, but the Fender and Peavey did sound cleaner, to me that is, of course. Thanks for you input man. I'm going to keep searching, I'll find THE one, I hope!