How Can I Keep My Guitar Safe?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bleomonkey, Sep 21, 2008.

1. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I have a little dilemma. Right now my new 62 reissue strat sits in its case in my closet. Although probably considered the safest place, it is hard to motivate myself to play it because I have to pull the heavy case out, undo the latches, and then take the guitar out. There aren't any pets or kids, but the real problem is that we were robbed a few months ago before I got my guitar. In addition, there have been incidents since then that raise suspicion that somebody is trying to still break in (open side gate, trying to open the front door).

Anyways, I need to keep my guitar in good condition and safe from being stolen because it's expensive, but I will hardly play it if it is a big hassle to get out. A stand or hanger makes the guitar easily stealable. A case, if kept in plain view, is a little harder to steal though still easy because they can just take the case, but annoying to open, etc. I basically want the guitar easily attainable with a key, the guitar itself not visible, and the case or whatever to be non-stealable.

Does anyone know of any solutions to this?

I was thinking of some sort of display case that doesn't actually display the guitar and can be locked like a guitar case that is stuck to the wall so the case can't just be taken.

2. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

WTF?

Ummm, I believe I'd be thinkin' about a move (seriously).

3. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I think it might be teenagers, but I don't know. Everyone in the neighborhood has been robbed, probably by the same people. This isn't the hood either. I live in Del Mar, California which is by San Diego.

4. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I like the idea of a locking cabinet (armoire).

"Everyone in the neighborhood has been robbed"

Amazing. Do you guys have alarm systems there.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

yeah now you know, I have the same problem, bought my dream guitar, beautiful LP custom back in 85, my dream guitar, pretty much stays in the case in the closet, only comes out when I am playing with friends I want to impress, and it does impress.

Go buy a beater guitar, something cheap, that you can play everyday, something that if a friend comes over you have no problem letting them play the beater, and if it gets stolen its no big loss.

Really like having and playing a beater, can experiment with it, change pups, leave it out, if it gets scratched it just adds to the beauty.

I consider a beater as any guitar that I pay less than $600 for new, or get a nice used guitar not problem if its not in the best condition.

6. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Get a good insurance policy then take it out and play the hell out of it whenever you like. Seriously, Heritage will give you a great deal and are outstanding in paying and helping if you ever need to file a claim.

7. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I don't have an alarm system, but some houses here might. I like the idea of buying a beater guitar, but I already have a Squier (which is really bad) and with the money I would spend on a beater guitar, I could get some sort of non-display wall mount case (which I don't think exist).

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

9. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

Is that a brand of a case?
    Just joking, but :agree

10. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I might have some sort of instrument insurance, but I don't want to expect to have it stolen and get money back. I just don't want it to get taken in the first place.

11. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

problem is the rottweillers are very friendly dogs.

If your afraid some one is going to break in and steal the guitar, and I have had that fear, get an alarm system installed. Being afraid is no way to live.

12. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

13. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I think an alarm system would be the best, but there's really not much other than the guitar to steal in my house, hence why I just want to protect the guitar. I'll think about an alarm system, though, because I just looked it up and they are actually fairly cheap. Any other ideas?

14. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

A gun case would do the trick. Some of those can put you back more than your Strat but then, once you see how they are made you might want to DIY and build something along similar lines. The trick would be to make them heavy.
    These things are very handy for stashing your GUNS in (hint hint).
    The best idea so far has suggested that you move. Life is too short to live anywhere that the crime has you thinking about it actually happening to you 24/7.

15. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Leave that one out as a decoy for the thieves and keep your good one under the couch out of sight.

16. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

Matt,
    That's a pretty awesome guitar; looks like a John Mayer Strat. Sorry but no buying guitars for a while, no matter how cheap. That 62 strat set me back quite a lot and I bought it with the intention of playing it.

17. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I actually already have it out as a decoy, with the strat in the closet, but it is too much work to take it out of the closet and out of the case. I even jokingly thought about putting a GPS system on the Squier and leaving it outside or something just to catch the rascals and be the hero of the neighborhood.

18. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

19. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Not cheap but you could always buy some more expensive guitars.

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. bilbal

bilbal Member

This is too weird!!! I was just thinking the same thing last night. The drummer in one of the bands got married yesterday. After the wedding and dinner we had a big party at our studio and a bunch of people were there. I wasn't really comfortable having a bunch of cats that have been drinking all day, in the studio around all the expensive gear but luckily there were no problems. I was thinking about how easy it would be for someone to walk out with a guitar. I had about $10,000.00 worth or guitars and my SLO there and I was a nervous wreck the entire time. I was thinking about how easy it was when I was in high school and didn't have the big money pieces.

bilbal