How can I lofi-up a lush ambient reverb ?

cyberprimate

I love the Slö, but what would you do to make the Walrus Slö reverb tail sound more mysterious, old, cheap, grainy, 8mm Eraserhead film…, and less like the lush luxury reverb it is ? How can you make the Slö go more in the DBA Reverberation Machine territory while keeping its ambient dimension ?

The best way to do it is to get something like a Boss LS-2, put Slö (set to full wet mix) in its loop with an overdrive of your choice, maybe add a vibrato. Set the mix with the level controls on LS-2.

You can also just try putting a drive pedal last in your chain. Maybe one with a clean blend.

nic'o'caster

Gold Supporting Member
Putting a tape emulator after the Slö would do the trick. Something like the Strymon Deco would tame the brightness and coldness of the digital reverb by adding imperfection, movement (wobble) and warm tape saturation to the sound !

cyberprimate

Running something like the Zvex Lo-Fi Junkie or Keeley 30ms on the Abbey ADT mode would add vintage warble and lo fi vibe (both in different ways)

I'm curious, why do you refer to the Abbey mode on the 30ms? Is it to mimic something typical of spring reverbs? like a subtle ultra short delay bounciness or something?

I'm curious, why do you refer to the Abbey mode on the 30ms? Is it to mimic something typical of spring reverbs? like a subtle ultra short delay bounciness or something?
it mimics the double tracking technique used the Beatles and has this interesting, tape sounding random modulation that’s unlike anything else I’ve heard in a pedal.

Baskervils

14Il69f.png

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
This is one reason I really like delays with an FX loop onboard; that way you can alter the repeats with whatever effect you want without having that effect also change your dry signal. I can’t think of a reverb pedal with this feature but you can get reverb like sounds out of many delays.

You can get there by adding a separate FX loop pedal with blend control and setting the delay wet inside that loop with whatever other effects you choose to alter the repeats like @The Holy Drinker suggested.

All of that said, my favorite pedal for altering a delay line in the way you describe is the Shallow Water.

Last edited:

honkeyjim

Warped Vinyl might do the trick for you. I have the black one and there is nothing hi-fi sounding about it.

Top Bottom