How can i make my tele twangier?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kidamnesiac, Feb 16, 2008.

1. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

So, i've had some stuart blackguards in for a few weeks in my American Deluxe tele. it's still not sounding the way i want though. coupled with it, is an rs guitar kit and 4-way switch. i like the bridge, but i'm finding the neck and middle positions too dead and dull with my amps (oranges).

i want that tele snap, quack, and twang. What i'd like is radiohead, jeff buckley, modest mouse kind of bitey/twangy.

any ideas?

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Got brass bridge saddles? I went thru 5 pickup changes on a MIM Alder Tele. Finally the compensated brass saddles got the spank to come out!

3. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

nope, no brass. i was wondering about that actually. i was thinking about the glendale bridge and saddles to see if it'd help, but i was a bit skeptical. so it made a difference??

4. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Yep. It worked for me. Couldn't be happier now!

5. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

yes a decent bridge is key to getting the most of a tele
    tdpri dot com should have volumes on the subject
    i have a callaham bridge and saddles

6. Grap

Grap Member

I found that brass saddles smoothed out the sound of my 50's RI Tele when I swapped to them from the steel original ones. They seemed to take away the ice pick effect. They were just a set of cheapies from Angela Instruments. I have no idea what make they are even.

7. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

Brass saddles somehow make a tele both twangier and smoother at the same time - it's hard to describe, but it'll probably take you in the right direction.

What kind of Oranges are you using? Maybe a Fender-style AB amp would help?

8. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

i've got an Orange AD15 and AD30TC. I've got a strat pro that sounds awesome through them and was hoping to get the same out of my tele. however, the strat has a steel nut and a maple fretboard.

perhaps a new bridge and a bone nut could do the trick?

9. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

The nut will really only change the sound of open strings. Does the tone change when you play a fretted (or capoed) string vs. open?

10. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Another vote for the brass saddles. HUGE difference. Another post nailed it - both smoother and twangier. Callaham makes an upgraded bridge/saddle combo for your guitar. It should get you there in spades.

You also might want to explore a new neck pickup. Most stock Tele neck units aren't necessarily twangy. Pete at Vintage Vibe can custom wind you one for the price of a Duncan. Also the Dimarzio Twang King neck p/up is very twangy/clean/open sounding. Some compare it to a very good Strat p/up.

Explore some posts over at tdpri.com. Lots of info there.

11. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Has anyone had experience with the Glendale vs Callaham vs Vintiques?

12. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

i'd be interested in hearing as well. I've never heard of Vintiques before, but the glendale seems right up my alley with the option of different saddle materials for different sounds.