• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How can you reduce 60 cycle hum and othe rline noises

cisspcism

Yes I have a noise gate but that doesnt eliminate the noise just hides it when the signl is below a threshold. One the signal is over ytou can hear the guitar and said noises.

I do notice that if I move a certain way/position the guitar cable a certain way I can really reduce the noise. Its kinda like the guitar cable its self is acting like an attena and making noise more prominent based on its positioning.( I know sometimes the cable can actually act as an attena and get radio stations but I am not talking about that here)

but any way is there some thing I can do to bring the 60 cycle hum or other line noise down to a minimum? My cables are of very good quality so I wonder if just using some kind of monster power voltage regulater would to the trick or maybe one of those hum x's or something.

I just want it so when I record my single coil guitars the noise is reduced as much as possible.

in the studio i use an ab box (a little lehle or a tonebone), anyway i press the switch that lifts the ground and the 60 cycle hum is greatly diminished

SatelliteAmps

If a noise gate is affecting the noise, then it probably isn't 60 cycle hum affected from the power supply. If it is also affected by your movement, then it definitely isn't 60 cycle power supply. It is your guitar or cable picking up noise (possibly 60 hz or something else). My guess is guitar (single coils pick up more noise than humbuckers). Most common culprit is floresecent lighting. You can try a different guitar, or look around for causes of noise and try to remove them.

Lifting the ground is dangerous, and also won't help this situation.

Last edited:

cisspcism

If a noise gate is affecting the noise, then it probably isn't 60 cycle hum affected from the power supply. If it is also affected by your movement, then it definitely isn't 60 cycle power supply. It is your guitar or cable picking up noise (possibly 60 hz or something else). My guess is guitar (single coils pick up more noise than humbuckers). Most common culprit is floresecent lighting. You can try a different guitar, or look around for causes of noise and try to remove them.

Lifting the ground is dangerous, and also won't help this situation.
Yep its definitely not a ground loop issue, I have that down pat. Its just the cable and the guitar and the nature of single coils. Just wish there was away to reduce it. I guess there is the Hum Debugger by ELectro harmonix that could work.

My situation is kinda like " your amp is buzzing so you move it to the left a little and it goes away" but for me its with the guitar and where I stand with it.

cisspcism

Beruska

EHX Hum Debugger removes the hum as promissed, but also kills your tone with no mercy. Have had one for a short while and got rid of it very fast.

SatelliteAmps

Are you always playing in the same place? Do you have flouresecent overhead lighting? If so, turn it off. Hum might just go away.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I have the misfortune of having dimmer lights on everything in my place. So I dim up on one outlet, but plug into a different outlet and keep the lights off that are connected with that outlet. s'okay that way, but i also go humbucker or Dimarzio Area to keep things in line - and ground all my amps, and maintain all caps in there too.

GTRJohnny

Any light dimmers? Those things are giant noise generators and use your AC wiring as an antenna system to "broadcast " noise.

Skip
www.skipzcircuits.com
+1. I finally tracked a nasty distant sounding buzz down to a dimmer switch on another floor. Couldn't figure out why my rig always buzzed when it was raining. Finally, I found that when it was darker (ie: storming) my wife turned on this light.

I was going to try one of the Hum-X things just for the heck of it. I use the Suhr system and other than that light dimmer, it's very quiet in my practice space - even with a computer on in the room.

Husky

+1. I finally tracked a nasty distant sounding buzz down to a dimmer switch on another floor. Couldn't figure out why my rig always buzzed when it was raining. Finally, I found that when it was darker (ie: storming) my wife turned on this light.

I was going to try one of the Hum-X things just for the heck of it. I use the Suhr system and other than that light dimmer, it's very quiet in my practice space - even with a computer on in the room.
Is the guitar shielded too? You should be able to remove your hands from the strings with no additional noise or the guitar needs to be shielded better

Trending Topics