How Clean is Mesa Boogie Roadster Cleans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tremonti, Feb 18, 2009.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

Probably gonna buy a Mesa Roadster...how clean are cleans? How easy is it to use with 2 guitars during a gig that have a different output....do I just adjust the global output and that's it? :AOK

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

3. phillyred79

phillyred79 Supporting Member

They're pretty clean.. A little sterile depending on your EQ'ing.. You'll probably want to adjust the volumes going from single-coils to humbuckers. Also depends if you're running Ch. 1 on Clean/Fat/Tweed.. Obviously the Clean setting yields the best headroom. I think you'll be fine.

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I tried one and HATED it. A HR Deluxe sitting right next to it blew it out of the water. My honest opinion of the amp is to run as far as you can from it. The overdrive went from fuzz to fuzzier to fuzziest. AWFUL amp IMO. All the features seem great until you realize it can just give you LOTS of slight variations of the same basic AWFUL sound. If you want a Mesa, find a used Tremoverb IMO.

5. phillyred79

phillyred79 Supporting Member

+1 on the dirty channels.. Like I said, the cleans are ok for a Mesa, but the Road King II I had (which is a fancier Roadster) got quite fizzy.. Even the switches for tube vs diode rectified didn't help. I imagine if you go to the Mesa Boogie forum http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=4 they will give you different opinions..

6. 155

155 Supporting Member

wouldnt take that too serious listen to his sound clips , the roadster will kill any one of those tones, imo of course. the roadster is a killer amp tons of versitility that cant be explored in a 10 min session in the shop. As for the cleans they are awesome especially on the fat setting , also the tweed is great too. go for it youll be very happy:dude

7. Tag

8. 155

155 Supporting Member

better ,but still not blown away, its like comparing apple to oranges, two rock to mesa, basically sayin dont **** all over a amp that someones about to buy because your a die hard two rock user, some will say two rocks are all hype and not worth the money.:worried

9. Tag

Hey, nothing to do with Trock. I love the tremoverb and think the Maverick and coliseum MK III are fantastic amps. The guy asked opinions on the roadster and I gave mine. It was AWFUL IMO. Sterile, bad cleans, and fuzz face overdrive no matter how you set it. If it sounds great to your ear, USE it! :dude

10. 155

155 Supporting Member

:dudetouche! roadsters rule!!!

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    The best clean channel I've ever found besides a CAA-100 is...Channel One of an Egnater Tourmaster....I kid you not,,,,Set the modern/vintage switch to modern, turn the volume up to 10, and the gain way down...and then run it through some Scumback M55's!!!!!!

12. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Every time I play a Roadster I'm amazed at how great the cleans sound. Quite possibly the most diverse clean sound I've ever played on any single amp. But you should go try one out before you buy one. But when I tried one out I had a hard time not taking it home with me.

13. mainly

mainly Member

op, forget wha this guy says, the roadster is one solid amp, i have both the tremoverb and the roadster and the roadster has a massive tone.

especially with the effects/solo bypassed. the cleans arent 100 percent clean over probably halfway up. mark series amps i think have the best cleans. i have my tremoverb dialed in to have the cleanest tone it can do. and the gain has to be on like 1-2 with the master at 6-10 in order for there to be no breakup whatsoever, and this is just loud enough to play a gig. and this is at 100 watts with power section on bold and solid state rectifier. like ll boogies it ridiculously loud but will only stay completely clean to a point. ofcourse i dont use strats, just les pauls and PRS. with a strat the cleans must sound beautiful.