How close are Scumbacks to original celestion "greenback" speakers! Please vote

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tejastubes, Jul 27, 2008.

How close are Scumback speakers to original "greenbacks"?

1. Not similar at all

2. Some similarities

3. Very close to the original

4. Extremely close to the original

5. Identical or so close its really hard to tell the difference

6. Better than the originals

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

Please vote in the poll and post any comments on your PERSONAL experience in using the Scumback speakers and how close they come, in your opinion, to the real McCoy!

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

where's the poll?

3. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I'd also like to know how they compare to the new celestion g12m's that most seem to love. Thinking about upgrading my 25 watt greenback cab and the scumbacks would save some cash.

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I've been beating on my SA12M 75's for a couple of years now. I think a great set of pre Rolas have a better overdriven rock sound, but for cleans and all round playing i prefer the Scumbacks.
    I've tried the SA12M-55's, SA12H-75's, and SA12H-55's, but the M75's are the ones that do it for me.
    I prefer old G12H30's to the Scumback equivalent, just to show I'm not a Scumback groupie.

5. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Several years ago when I first heard about Scumbacks I contacted Jim and talked at length about them. Jim sent me a Pre-rola G12M and one of his Scumback M75's. They were mounted side by side in a 2x12 cabinet. I got in touch with Big Mike and he brought over a couple of his amp heads and a guitar. We ran the 2x12 through several amps with various settings. While Mike was playing I put my ear close to each speaker. Without looking I could not tell the difference between the two, and that was before the Scumback M75 was broke in!!!!!
    Both Big Mike and I were so impressed that both of us now own several Scumback speakers.
    In fact if you want a little bit of a mix ask Jim about the Big (**** You Chet) Mike Mix.

6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Can I tell you guys how appreciative I am that someone started this poll?? I need to swap out a pair of Vintage 30's (not my favorites) in a closed back 2x12 and was trying to decide if I should get some Celestion (Chinese made) G12M's, Eminence Private Jacks, or suck it up and pay the premium for Scumbacks. I've read that the combo of the M55 and M75 is the winner. These will be used for a EL34 Marshall-type amp. Any opinions on which would be the best 'greenback'-like combo? Thanks again for starting this thread.

7. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

There is a guy selling a H55 H75 combo cab right now on the page but I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

Joshua

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I owned and used/played out many M and H original Celestions over the past 40 years..[that's scary in itself], but I have to say the the Scumback versions of these speakers are truly better sounding than all the original, 20, 25, and 30 watters I used to own..and over time, the Scumbacks just get better...I also haven't had the burn out issues with Scumbacks that I had with English Celestions....
    Whether I'm using my Suhr Badger, Allesandro English, or H&K Zen Modelling amp, the Scumbacks are truly remarkable sounding speakers... My tone hat is always tipped to Jim Sewell and his relentless experiments in developing the finest sounding guitar speakers that have ever been consistantly made...As Stu at Fat Sound says, "It's truly the golden era of guitar amps" IMHO, this also applies to guitar speakers!!
    PS/ Thank you Jim!!,,,,,next, I want to purchase one of your Crunch amps!!

9. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

10. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

Definately pay the premium for the Scumbacks. After comparing Jim's products to what is coming out of these days China side by side (in a bogner cab with open and closed back) I would easily be willing to pay more than double what Jim charges. Jim's speakers have much more clarity and tonal thickness/complexity. Even my girlfriend could easily tell that the Scumback's blew away the others, especially the V30's. I like them so much that I replaced the English made G75's (these are considered significantly better than what is coming out of China today) in my Marshall 800 combo with Jim's H75 and H55. The amp was a monster before, but now it sounds significantly better (I did not think that this was possible). The Scumbacks have better high end clarity, a thicker more complex midrange (both upper and lower), and the bass response with the H55 is just something else. Only problem is that now I can hear a tube rattle that was not there before :) I don't own any pre-rola celestions and don't have enough experience using them to make a useful comparison, but at the Speaker Demo at Tone Merchants the Scumbacks easily more than held their own to my ears against the "grail" pre-rola greenback loaded cabs that Jim brought.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

So I take it you guys prefer the scumbacks to the new heritage g12m's? I think the scumbacks are lower priced, too

12. heavydutysg135

I own both (4X12 loaded with 4 Heritage G12m's and combo loaded with 2 Scumbacks) and would go with the Scumbacks.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Since you asked about "greenbacks", I'de stick to the M75 varieties. The H75's aren't bad by any means, but I just think the M75's are where's is at. I greatly prefer the M75's over anything else I've ever heard.

I'de take (and did) Eminence Private Jacks over the H75's, but that's just me. Not a G12H30 fan really.

14. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I just ordered a H75 30 watter for my Aiken Tomcat. I'll vote after I get it installed.

Hopefully I will be voting "Better that the originals". :D

15. heavydutysg135

Well, that's why there is not just one guitar, one amp, and one speaker choice for everyone. Everyone has their own taste. I like H's in an open back and M's in a closed back.

16. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

That is why I recommended the Big (**** You Chet) Mike Mix. It is an H75 and an M75 mix. At first you might think that they would not sound good, but let me tell you they compliment each other extremely well.

17. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

While I can't compare Pre Rolas to my Scumbacks anymore, because I sold off my vintage cabinets, I have to say that I have yet to hear a speaker that can match the Scumback M75.
    Rene

18. jamison162

Yep, xactly what I said. I think we are about as right-on about tone as you can get. The M75's RULE yall!!

19. jamison162

Bleeding Edge...good points.

All I can say is that I tried a Weber Silver Bell and did not like it, but the Scumbacks are the real deal. I think Jim's investment is what paid off there and Weber just came through on the deal.

I've also tried various Eminence speakers and while they were good, didn't really care to keep any of them. But curiosity got the best of me and I bought a pair of Private Jacks and I honestly love the way these speakers sound. You have to diversify, you can't make every speaker be a hit! It's like buying a bunch of penny stocks hoping one of them takes off. Eminence should cash in on these PJ's big time.

20. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I presume everyone here knows that Ted Weber helped design the Scumback "M's" and "H's"? At least I know Ted was actively involved in the development. Correct me if I'm wrong, Jim? Great speakers for sure.
    One of the best speaker/amp combinations I ever heard was my Vicky Pro with a Weber P15N (15A150)...that is, until I heard the Scumbacks. They are at least the equal in tone quality. Thanks to Jim and Ted.

Tom