how close do Nik Huber Orca's sound to les Pauls...

coolhand78

Just wondering how close people think Nik's Orca's sound to Vintage Type Les Pauls? Close? Not Close at all? More like an SG cross LP... what are your thoughts???

narad

Silver Supporting Member
Well you're stuck with that scale length so it never really feels quite there - I'm surprised such a small difference is even perceivable at all! So with the rest I think it really just depends on specs - full thickness vs. standard, chambering or solid, a lot differ in having ebony/snakewood boards or maple/korina necks. Some of those options will have a big effect on how close it gets, some, not so much. Still, tonally I thought they sound more LP than SG.

edgarallanpoe

Definitely more LP than SG but not really close to an LP. The thicker body would help, but the totally different neck joints, scale, etc...really aren't close. That isn't a bad thing, I believe the Orca has its own thing going and it is a spectacular instrument. But in a direct comparison the really arent alike in much besides body shape.

That being said, Nik will make you one that will be very close but I shudder at the price of such a custom instrument. I know he made some Gibby scale guitars so he does do it, and you can custom order a fat back that will get you to LP thickness. Throw some PAF style pickups in there and I would imagine it would be much closer than a standard Orca.

Nik is a great guy to talk to so it wouldn't hurt to give him a holler. His instruments really are that good. I could also be dead wrong on the price as I haven't priced them in quite some time.

RSRD

Definitely more LP than SG but not really close to an LP. The thicker body would help, but the totally different neck joints, scale, etc...really aren't close. That isn't a bad thing, I believe the Orca has its own thing going and it is a spectacular instrument. But in a direct comparison the really arent alike in much besides body shape.

That being said, Nik will make you one that will be very close but I shudder at the price of such a custom instrument. I know he made some Gibby scale guitars so he does do it, and you can custom order a fat back that will get you to LP thickness. Throw some PAF style pickups in there and I would imagine it would be much closer than a standard Orca.

Nik is a great guy to talk to so it wouldn't hurt to give him a holler. His instruments really are that good. I could also be dead wrong on the price as I haven't priced them in quite some time.

I think it's a fair assessment. Hubers are beautifully made guitars with a huge price tag. Id venture to say closer to a PRS CU or SC in tone then a LP. Get a historic if you like LPs. IMO.

Trending Topics