How close have you come to buying digital without buying it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Clifford-D, Oct 28, 2018.

How close did you come to buying a digital amp?

This poll will close on Aug 24, 2019 at 10:30 PM.
  1. It will happen

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Very close

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Somewhat interested

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Little interest

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. Never digital for me

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

How close have you come to buying a digital amp, but not going through with it?

What was the gear?

Is the digital quest over for you?

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I have a digital and an analog rig and sometimes use them together. My L6 Helix plays well in any situation... LOVE IT.

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I've used both since Fractal came out with the Axe FX Ultra. I use a FX8 with my Mesa Triple Crown 50 and just took delivery of an Axe FX III.

Tube amps and modelers each have their strengths and weaknesses strengths. I'm a "right tool for the right job" type of player.

buddy7168 likes this.
  4. scott58

scott58 Member

Well, my Laney has a digital reverb. In some cases there may not be a lot you can do about it.

5. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

It DID happen for me. At one point I went all digital/solid state/modeling and then I was cured. Sort of like having the measles - once you've had it, you're immune.

I had a Line 6 Variax Acoustic (that did a great job emulating a sitar) but most of the other "features" left me cold. I was running it into a Behringer V-Amp Pro and a solid state power amp and passive PA speaker. I was lucky that i didn't get kicked out of the band, but we did do a good rendition of "Norwegian Wood" with that sitar emulation. The Behringer V-Amp went quiet on me during a practice - and I instantly decided that it was not something I wanted to deal with in the middle of a gig.

The Variax went sort of weird when I tried the "electronic capo" feature, so it wasn't gig worthy.

At that point, I felt that I had experimented enough with digital. Since then, I've been all analog.

6. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

I'm going full on L6 helix soon. Amps and cabs will go soon after. Most pedals too.

7. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I will be trying a Kemper out soon. If I like it, I’ll switch.

8. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

Had solid state amps both combos and rack mounted with digital preamps and multi-fx pedals from when I started playing in the 70s all thru the 80s and 90s and up until only recently (4 years now). I have shed all that was digital and bought a full line of tube amps and analog pedals. A Zoom G1on multi-fx is all that remains of anything I had that was digital and I use it for quiet practicing thru headphones. While I do not question the quality of gear that's solid state, modeling, MIDI, digital, and software driven as its platform, it has its place and functionality in the music world and some even have surprisingly convincing warm tone that even a seasoned player would have difficulty recognizing in a blind-fold test, it simply was no longer something I wanted in my signal chain.

70s
    Peavey Renown 400 Solid State 2x12 combo amp
    80s
    Gallien-Krueger 250ML 2x6 solid state combo amp with built-in digital Chorus & Echo (Reverb)
    Yamaha REX-50 tabletop multi-fx unit (think of it as the baby of the rack mounter SPX-90)
    ADA Multi-FX (Delay, Chorus, & Flanger) rack mounted units
    90s
    Marshall Valvstate 8008 rack mounted power amp
    ART DST4 Preamp and multi-fx rack unit
    2000s
    Digitech DSP1101 Preamp, modeling, cab sim, and multi-fx rack unit
    Fender Mustang III v2 1x12 combo modeling amp
    Blackstar ID60TVP digital amp head
    Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36 all tube amp head with built-in digital FX (I'll say this was a great idea to marry all tube amp with digital FX in an amp head)

NOW
    5 all tube Orange Terror amp heads
    4 cabs of Celestion Vintage 30 and 70th Anniversary G12H30 speakers
    2 pedalboards of individual pedals, about 25 of them between the 2 boards
    I know that some of these pedals are digitally based, let's face it there is no way to have an actual tank reverb built into a small footprint pedal.

And I can say with total confidence that I no longer look towards anything digital.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  9. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

too bad. It finally got good. lol

USMarine75 and 3dognate like this.
  10. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

I have no problem with high end digital. I’ve thought about it a lot. The only thing that stops me is that I don’t want to buy a unit and then have it be obsolete without company support after a relatively short time period after the newer models are released. Tube amps are old technology that can be repaired easily enough and components changed out.

Joe Perry likes this.
  11. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I bought a pod 2.0 years ago and have no real problem with it. It was fine for headphone practice at home.

I have solid state amps, music man, Roland, bluguitar, that I gig, in addition to tube amps.

I just don’t like the little screen based thing and don’t think it’s a huge win as far as setup or transporting. Probably sounds good enough but so do a lot of amps I’m already familiar with.

12. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Live rig amp is tube. When I had my recording setup I had no problem using digital amp sims to record. I mixed them with my mic'd tube amps.

I keep my tubes for live because I'm fully vested, well versed in their use and they work for me with no issues. That rig is a hybrid though in that I run some digital effects. I don't often run it with no effects, sometimes for shreddy high gain but it's definitely the minority of time. So... digital is in the loop the majority of time.

I'm not a believer in the "There can be only one" mantra.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I've been thinking of scaling back to one dedicated clean amp head and cab and getting either an AX8 or FX8 to run the loop. I'm not really up on what would be best for me but the Fractal stuff appeals to me.

With my limited time to play anymore just to keep my base strat/clean tone and having other amp tones and effects at my feet is becoming more appealing to me.

scott58 likes this.
  14. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

I'll admit that I've been impressed recently with the Helix, a friend who works at local GC uses it for his gigs and described very cool features he setup on it. I can agree that there is a convenience with a unit like this as opposed to our typical analog rigs made up of many components. But despite all the features and conveniences, I don't think it will ever tip me over to that side of the fence.

OHSOFUZZY likes this.
  15. chillytc

chillytc Member

I was an early adopter with the Pod, which was ok but definitely paled next to a good tube amp.

I have no reservations about digital from a purist perspective. I have a home recording rig and there are lots of digital plug-ins that model EQs and compressors that sound pretty great to me. Digital delays (including emulated analog/tape/etc..) and reverbs are pretty spot on these days.

But when it comes to amp emulation, I haven't yet found anything that doesn't sound like a compromise to my ears. I love the idea and really, really wanted to buy a Kemper. But after listening to lots of YouTube demos, including comparisons to amps, I consistently heard a sort of compressed, fizzy/faded out high end thing. I could be crazy - and I'm the first to admit I haven't tried one in person and that YouTube demos may not be the best way to assess tone - but I still hear a difference with a good tube amp and analog stomp box. Just my $0.02.

16. twotone

twotone Member

I have a POD XT that I use occasionally, but that's it.

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

This is a loaded question probably seeking to validate OP's bias.

I've had several modelers in the past and currently use a combination of a tube amp and Line6 Helix for effects. I use the Helix also for low volume practice and recording because it's a lot more convenient than trying to mic up my amp in a less than stellar room. Modelers nowadays sound and feel great and are incredibly convenient.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

I used to think modellers were only good for distorted tones or stale HIFI cleans with ambient FX... basically great for any prog-metal/djent stuff. But the newer Axe-FX and my Kemper convinced me otherwise. My Sky King is still my fav amp for cleans and as a pedal platform, but the KPA is close. I have a Morgan AC clean channel preset I tweaked and it is 9.5/10 for cleans and pedals.

19. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

The Fractal stuff is great.
    If you only care about sound, by all means play a Fractal.

But tube amps are works of art.
    Current # of modelers in house: 0
    Current # of tube amps in house: NEVER ENOUGH !

20. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Closest thing I own to digital is a digitech rp350 pedal. Its very convenient for when people dont wanna lug around gear to my place, its quick and easy becuase I can dial in a tone which the user is happy with ( I have a recording studio in the basement )

but I keep coming back and people validate my opinion ( at least the ones I worked with ) you cant beat a micd up 4X12 thru tube head.

Maybe I.m old school close minded but my drums aren't triggered either.