How close is the Vibrostomp to Magnatone sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mad dog, Jan 15, 2006.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey all. I am so digging my old Magnatone, especially the intense, addictive true pitch-shifting vibrato, that I want this effect with other amps. The Austone Vibrostomp allegedly can do it. Those of you who have heard this pedal, how close does it get? It's not cheap, but if it's close or dead on, I'll find the cash. For reference, I'm playing a 65 M-10A "suitcase" magnatone.

Erskin, decay-o-caster, I remember you've played this pedal. Anyone else?

2. erksin

erksin Member

I've actually never played one - just heard the clips...

BUT - I have owned a '62 Maggie 440 and loved the Vibrato. If I could have stomached the $300, I'd have bought the Austone in a heartbeat. I couldn't justify the cost, and didn't need the added Tremolo function. I 'settled' on the DLS Chorus~Vibe and it's close enough to the Maggie for my purposes that I don't miss it any longer.

The only other pedal I've heard that also sounds quite convincing for the Maggie stuff is the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble - also too pricey for me...

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Sorry - wish I could help - I've never played a Magnatone! But the vibrato effect is my favorite sound on the Austone - I really like it, genuine pitch-shifting, cool vibe (um, I didn't mean it like that).

I've got other trems I like more than the Austone - (EH Pulsar, Tap-a-Whirl, etc.) I'd only use it for vibrato now.

4. mad dog

I answered my own damn question this time. Thanks anyway gentlemen. Got to try one last night. It's a righteous effect. I agree that the vibe is the reason to use it. It's not exactly like the built-in Magnatone effect, but it's pretty close. Same character, similar depth. Just as important, it sounds very good. No matter how something is described, you never know 'til you plug in whether it's going to work for you. Only had a minute, with borrowed tele and borrowed SFDR. I'm picking a used one up tomorrow, then see how it works with my own amps.

5. erksin

erksin Member

I wish they'd come out with a Vibrato-only version, I emailed them suggesting it but never got any reply...

6. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I've been thinking about purchasing a vibrostomp, but I'm wondering how it is with LFO noise at gig-levels... Can any users comment on whether it has noticeable LFO throb noise or not at gig volumes?

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I've got the same model Maggie. Do you use the stereo mode (both channels at once)? Do you use the boost? I've found that various combinations of these result in a wide range of vibrato sounds. It's hard to imagine a pedal doing all of this, especially not being tube driven.

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have one. The pedal at gig volume or any volume may be dead quiet--if not, it is so close to completely silent that I have not noticed any noise. I think it is one reason the pedal is so pricey. I had an Auralux King Trem for a while that sounded great, but was very noisey. Honestly, it may be the quietest vibe or trem pedal I've ever used. The only other that comes to mind as being silent is the Frantone Vibutron, but it is just a trem (a very good sounding and versatile one) only, in spite of the name.

9. grantbob

grantbob Member

Has anyone tried the Vibroman from Zach at Vibroworld? It's supposed to be an exact copy of the old magnaton circuit. Robert Cray uses one.

http://www.vibroworld.com/product.html

darrell

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Cool... thanks for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to know!

11. drolling

drolling Member

Ahh, I got to play a beat up old Magnatone when I was visiting friends on new year's, and THAT sound's been haunting me ever since..

Like tube driven amp trem/spring-pan reverb, I'd be real surprised if anyone could squeeze that exact effect into a little box..

12. threm

threm Member

"LIST PRICES START AT.......... $1900.00 US Dollars" :jo

Bigtone will be making a BYOC kit of the VB-2
    http://buildyourownclone.com/vibrato.html

Announced here
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1146427&highlight=VB2

Probably a little more than the other kits around $75

13. mad dog

Strat: You're the man!! That old Maggie has some kinda mystical sauce in there for sure. I always run both channels together, both on brite. The boost is little hissy at high volumes. And you're right. That vibrato cannot be replicated in a pedal. It's very intense, and integral in the sound of the amp. The Vibrostomp is not as intense, sounds somewhat different because it's not part of the amp, but sounds great.

Peach: How much of a throb you get depends on which amp and whether you run other pedals. On a DR in the store, only pedal, not much throb. At the gig, into a Klon then the Clark Tyger at high volume, throb. Same deal through a Cowtipper 45. I didn't focus on noise, cause the whole deal sounded so fine and right. (My nickname was modified to "Swamp dog" at the gig ...) It helps to play through really good amps of course. As with all pedals, the Vstomp will certainly hit some it doesn't agree with.

Drolling: Don't be haunted, join the Maggie club. There's a lot of different flavors. My Custom M10A is very different from earlier, tweedy models. Somehow a perfect blend of modern jangle and bluesy scream. It's because the Maggie sound is so addictive that I sought out the Vstomp. It's a treat to have that unique vibe sound on tap with other amps.