• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

How come G&L never bought into the weight debate?

Pickin4Jesus

Just curious, why does this make sense?
Well for me a S or T type guitar means more sparkly tone with better note definition. I feel you get that better with a lightweight body. A LP type to me is a more full sustaining tone which a dense, heavyweight body may help.

Well for me a S or T type guitar means more sparkly tone with better note definition. I feel you get that better with a lightweight body. A LP type to me is a more full sustaining tone which a dense, heavyweight body may help.
I see what you mean, but there are so many examples out there that conflict with this premise that I wonder if there is actually a correlation, at least in regards to the Fender types (I know squat about Gibsons).

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Certain guitars you cannot sell without disclosing weight. Fender spec sheets say "sorted for light weight." The websites of certain large retailers list the weight of every guitar. Lots of smaller companies market light-weight Southern Ash. Through all this, G&L seems to have given a rat's __s about guitar weight. Their guitars are all over the weight spectrum. You can custom order a ton of options, but ask them to sort for light weight and you get a firm "no." I know, I've tried.

Anyone have any thoughts on why? Maybe they have taken a company position to reject the value of light weight guitars. Maybe it doesn't make business sense. Maybe they figure that's what the hollow bodies are for ( although I've played some that were as heavy as solids). I've just always been curious.

There is not the same size following of G&Ls for one (yes, I know they have their fans).

Gibson & Fender weights are all over the map too.
They may cite the weight on Dealer's sites or promote a light weight but they are still light, medium, & heavy.

VaughnC

Supporting Member
IMO, there are tonal trends with regard to weight...but that's not true across the board either. There are guitars that are just greater than the sum of their parts, and guitars that are dogs. I judge each one on its own merits. Personally, I don't have any physical problems so the weight of a guitar wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me. But, having said that, a neck heavy guitar is difficult to deal with when playing standing. So I'd likely reject a neck heavy guitar unless its tone was very special.

LonesomeCraig

I specifically asked for a light weight ASAT Classic when I special ordered my 2nd G&L. I offered to pay extra for this request. Guess what.......... The guitar arrives and it is very heavy. But everything about it was beyond perfect and it sounds and feels stunning!

I think G&L just has decided not to concern themselves with the weight issue. I have played many of them and most are heavy, a few are medium, and I have only felt one light one.

QC_AGENT

The advertised weight drives me crazy. Should I order the lightest guitar or the heaviest? A lighter should be more comfortable but the heavier might sustain better? How does it affects the tone? Haaaaarrrrrrgggg...

So, I just called and place my order over the phone so I don't have to chose for a specific serial or a specific weight advertised on the website. The seller did not asked my preferences, I did not told. The guitar is perfect for me, I sleep well.

Of course, when you can try them, it's best... I could not.

Ivan Durak

Weight matters, in my mind, for two reasons.

1) Resonance. A well dried wood should resonate more. Often enough, this means less weight. I doubt the drop in weight is noticeable though.

2) Comfort.

When Les Paul talked about weight or mass, I think he meant wood density. It could be said that denser woods resonate more (thus more sustain, more musical tone etc). However, there is also the matter of wood fiber structure. It seems to me this is more important than density, but I'm not a builder so what do I know...