How come nobody makes a super inefficent speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LaXu, Oct 8, 2006.

1. LaXu

LaXu Member

I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get any answers. So anyway, why are there no speakers that have really poor sensitivity? The idea came to me when I was shopping for hifi speakers - many of them had lower sensitivity compared to many guitar speakerse.

Even the lowest sensitivity guitar speakers are about 96 db. If we had very sensitivity on speakers we could possibly do without attenuators and other tone degrading devices. Sure, the speakers would not propably sound the same as Greenbacks, V30s etc. but they could still sound good.

Is this a techinical impossibility or don't manufacturers just see any need for something like this?

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

I was under the impression that the most efficient speakers available only had an efficiency of about 1 per cent; that makes them ALL super inefficient.

3. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I raised this issue some time ago and basically was told that to reduce efficiency to the degree that would obviate attenuators, the speakers would not sound good.

My other 'idea' would be to make a baffle system that works just like the elements in quality ear filter systems. A nice 9 or 15 db speaker cover (front and back on open backs) that treats the frequency spectrum evenly might be a killer invention for us gear freaks. One of these days........... I'm gonna get around to testing various materials.... and probably fail..... :rolleyes:

jon

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Yeah you would basically have to 'dampen' the speaker to reduce effeicency. Notice most subwoofers and home speakers have effiencey (dang I can't spell that word!) ratings of around 86-89 db. This is due to heavier cones and rubber or foam surrounds, both of which would render a guitar speaker useless!

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

This has come up a number of times. I remember asking the same thing a while back. One answer was that the large air gaps would reduce efficiency but would change the sound. Weaker magnets would not stabilize the speaker cone... etc.
    The other thing we need to keep in mind is that our ears are tuned to sounds we have heard before generally we at trying to reproduce. These were produced with certain speakers vary greatly from those tones just wouldn't sound like what we want. Plus loudspeakers are supposed to be loud making them quiet really goes against the very core of what speaker makers have been trying to do for the last 100 years.

6. billdurham

billdurham Member

I think that the old addage (Mr. Newtons Law actually) of energy is neither created or destroyed comes into play here. To make the speaker inefficient, the energy going into the speaker would have to be dissapated as heat or in some other way if its not transfered into the cone as audio. Thats why attenuators get hot!

BD

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

Why would heavier cones and rubber or foam surrounds render guitar speakers useless?

8. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Heavier cones will limit the response to higher frequencies (more mass in F = MA) and reduce the tendency toward cone "breakup" (where the cone no longer moves as a piston; actually a very important part of the sound of a guitar speaker).

Foam surrounds increase the compliance, which means that there's less force opposing the movement of the cone. That decreases damping of low frequencies, which makes the speaker sound "tubby".

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

People do make low efficiency speakers, but they are usually very accurate.

Low efficiency guitar speakers would be incredibly useful, but they aren't so easy to make. Face it, guitar speaker companies make stuff with a very small research and development investment. It's going to be tough to find cone materials that distort at low volumes but still work OK as speakers.

On the other hand, the new type Fender attenuator as found in the Princeton recording amp could be thought of as a sort of low efficiency speaker.

10. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The baby (high frequencies and any sort of detail) goes out with the bathwater (meaningful volume reduction). Anybody for some old Oxford tens? Didn't think so. The highs are disproportionately lost as inefficiency increases.

11. Robertito

Robertito Member

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the thinking here. It appears that you are trying to find a special speaker that will allow you to use a larger, heavier amplifier at reasonable volumes. Why not just use a smaller, lighter amp?

12. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

not to sound rude, but what the heck are you talking about?? :eek: kik sry :dude

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Because there are sounds you can get from a big amp you can't get from a little amp. And because even a little amp is really loud when cranked up (with the exception of the sub-1w amps which have other tone concerns).

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Because that doesn't sound the same.