How come the reissue fenders sound so good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

So, I plugged into the reissue twin reverb in sam ash, and damned if it doesn't sound better than most of the $3k-$4k boutique fender amp clones that are out there.

Too bad they don't make a reliable version. I'd probably buy one.

2. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

3. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Damn Alzheimers:argue

4. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I agree. Of the boutique clones and variants I've played I haven't heard one that sounded any better than a reissue from Fender. Different sure, but not better - not to my ears. Of course many would disagree with me. I personally like the warts and all sound of vintage Fenders compared to boutiques being made today. And despite the fact that they may not be as reliable as some boutiques (although I'm not 100% sold on that argument) that's where I plan on putting my money, at least for now.

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Sorry, I forgot it's only $1000. Not up to TGP cork-sniffing standards.

7. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

maybe they started biasing them up to spec?

8. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Supporting Member

I think the twin RI is a particularly good one, although I like all the blackface reissues. I owned a Deluxe Reverb RI and liked it, but sold it to recoup funds after buying a '75 Vibrosonic.

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I think the posts above simply refer to this being posted in the emporium?

I like the RI amps too. The Super Reverb and Bassman LTD in particular are good sounding amps. I haven't tried them all...I never liked the twin RI though, I always preferred the Vibrolux and Deluxe Reverb RI in addition to those mentioned above. No experience with the Tweed Deluxe.

I wish they'd do a tweed Pro or a Bandmaster

JD

10. PMcC

PMcC Member

11. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I love my Twin Reverb RI...I sold my vintage dual showman because I didn't need it. The Twin sounds better.

12. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I loved my Super Reverb RI. Kind of wish I still had it but needed money to save up for my Cat5 which I have a feeling will last much longer. I had a Twin Reverb RI too which was nice but I realized I only didn't like it because after a while I got sick of all the clean. I was missing that natural breakup I love so much. It was still a great amp though and did the clean thing very well!

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

14. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Yeah they are the best kept secret around.

They are only used by a few EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD BUT THE GEARPAGE.

15. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I think they have always sounded good, I believe some peoples complaint is maybe the dependability with those cheap pots and circuit boards. When you say "reissue" it's suppose to mean a copy of an old amp model being made once again. I think they missed it just a little, all for money.

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I hear they've been doing this for awhile...maybe they are starting to get the hang of it? ;)

17. In Tune

In Tune Member

Im with you Jack,, Have you scoped out the new VM Deluxe and Bandmaster?:band

18. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

I own a TRRI and sounding good, and having a sufficient professional quality, IMHO there are many amps that sound better.

The special thing about the TRRI is the timbre, very open and quite difficult to find in other high quality Blackface clone channels ... don't know why ...

19. bynt

bynt Member

I'm with you. I think they sound fantastic. Especially the Twin and Super's. The DRRI isn't my favorite and i just flat didn't like the Princeton. I almost bought a Super Reverb RI but sure enough, something was wrong with it so I took it as a sign.

I've seen the results of the "poor quality" of some of these amps at the shop where I give lessons. It sucks. I too would probably own one if I wasn't afraid of busting a jack off the board at a gig or breaking a tube socket. That's just me. I'd still get one if I found it at some stupid price.

20. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Don't sell them too short on reliability. Granted there's likely not much CONSISTENCY, and you could easily get a lemon, but I have a 1990 -1991 Bassman Reissue that is still going strong after 100s if not 1000s of gigs/rehearsals/etc... and a very early DRRI that is also still going strong.

I have gone through the "boutique" phase and spent WAY too much money... I finally found the best compromise... a '64 Vibroverb Custom... it's a current production Fender, but it's point-to-point, pine cab, and pretty good component choices, and sounds like a great old Super Reverb (vintage) I used to own... but with more low end, and about 20 lbs lighter!