How come the ultimate attenuator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Sep 13, 2009.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

uses AC power? Or is this more for foot switch functions to turn it off and on similiar to the Weber ones?

If it does use AC power what is the benefit over ones that dont?

2. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

It's technically a re-amp device. SS power amp built in, hence the AC power.

3. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

How does this make it better than normal attenuators?

4. Yossi

Yossi Member

5. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Normal Attenuators... well, attenuate with some of the signal hitting some kind of load... you adjust the volume by how much signal you send to the load...

the UA actually has a small solid state amp inside it that re-amps things after the entire signal hits a load.... so then you adjust the volume soley on the little amp... me thinks, anyways.... :messedup

...who said it was better?

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I'm a village idiot when it comes to how attenuators work. I only understand the outcome (had a Weber once), which isn't really to my liking because speaker movement and the movement of air is part of the equation. Thus, I don't use attenuators.

That said, I've read a lot of conflicting info regarding whether or not these UAs will screw up your amp. Some say they will, some say they won't. I don't plan to use one, for the reasons I stated, but it does make me curious.

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

It's not that they will, it's that the potential is there. Some people have had issues, but the UA won't specifically damage all amplifiers.

9. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I talked to Greg Germino about using one and he didn't see any issues with his amps. I have mine on 95% of the time and have had zero issues.

10. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

To answer the OP- I think it's because an amplifier provides a better low impedance current drive to your speaker than a passive attenuator. When you turn a passive attenuator down real low, you are not pushing as much current to the speaker, the speaker "sees" a much higher impedance than it does in normal operation.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I have not tested this specifically, but this is just a gut feeling. I have done re-amping using a load box, line-out and external amp and it sounded real good.

11. The Captain

The Captain Member

What I don't get is how people think a solid state re-amping device is better than a good MV.
    At the end of the day, when you turn down past a certain point, you lose air movement that can't be replaced in any way. Turn up and you get it back again, with either device.
    Sure, if you've got an old non-MV amp, it's a very usefuol device, but going out of your way to buy a non-MV amp, then adding a UA ??

12. NFB

NFB Senior Member

:agree:agree:agree

13. TTripp

TTripp Member

Depends on a lot of things. For modern style amps that set out to derive gain/distortion from the preamp stage, then a MV might do. But for some designs, getting the whole circuit running hard is where the best tone lies. Yes, you can turn down the MV and thus turn down the final volume at the speakers, but you're turning down a bunch of other good stuff too. Or, you can have all of that good stuff happening and THEN turn down the volume right before the speakers with a good attenuator. In the end, it takes some experimentation to find out what's right for any given set of ears.

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

You need to hear it to understand how well it works. It's all in what the ears say.

[​IMG]

15. alivegy

alivegy Member

Most mv amps still sound best when the mv is turned up loud enough to get some power tube saturation. The UA allows you to do this. It's like having 3 volumes: preamp volume, power amp volume, and room volume. It gives you a lot of control over your sound. With my 2203 it allows me to keep my preamp gain around 4.5 and the master at 8. So I get a nice clean with some powertube saturation when I dig in. This would be deafening without the UA. Granted the UA does add some color to the tone, but so long as I'm not recording it doesn't bother me.

16. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

TRUTH!

It's the epitome of hypocrisy to bash modeling amps and then turn around and use a solid state RE-AMPING device and rave about the tone...

only on the internet...

17. The Captain

The Captain Member

Actually, I recently saw a great therad here showing that it's PI tube saturation that we like to hear, and an MV lets you get this at workable volumes.

18. The Captain

The Captain Member

I did say, I "get" it in teh context of an old amp.
    Maybe you need to hear my MV amps too. There is nothing lacking there.

19. JlMMY

JlMMY Member

I tried a THD and UA. The UA was better but not as good as MV. So I agree with this 100%.

20. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I loved my master volume Soldanos when I was playing them.

But I love my NMV vintage Marshall with the Ultimate more.

Just personal taste