How consistent in winding/output are Seymour Duncans, Dimarzio etc?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bill Brasky, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Have any of you tested the output of several of the same make/model and found them to vary in output by a significant amount? I see people selling used Seymour Duncan pickups on ebay and they have the output they've measured and I've noticed big differences between the same model. Do they really vary that much or are they being measured incorrectly? It seems to me like SD would know exactly how many windings to get the desired output consistently.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

They're not off by that much. A super distortion always sounds like a super distortion and a JB always sounds like a JB.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i think things like wire stretch, variations in wire thickness+insulation thickness, and the tightness of the wrapping can influence the d.c. reading a little. i may be wrong, but i suspect most of these machine-made pickups are controlled for the number of turns and the pattern of the wrap, rather than actual d.c. resistance measurements.

that said, dimarzio and duncan are very consistent, while gibson is all over the map, especially with the 57 classics and burstbuckers.

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Room temp and accuracy of the multimeter used will vary the reading also.

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

6. Wymore Guitars

Wymore Guitars Member

Conductivity of copper changes quite a bit with temperature. I measured a humbucker once at freezing and at room temp and if I remember correctly the resistance changed about 15%.

I've measured quite a few SD pickups and I would say resistance variation from pickup to pickup is around 5%. The exception is Antiquities which can be 10% to 12%.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

absolutely. a pickup will read a good 2-300 ohms higher after it's just been pulled out of a wax bath, for example.

8. Wymore Guitars

Wymore Guitars Member

Just as a quick update I measured 10 Antiquities I just got in last night. They all measured within 3%. Wonder if they have tightened things up a bit on the hand wind process for these?