How cool is a blend control on a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buddastrat, Jul 9, 2008.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

My Fender strat is supposed to have a blend control with front and rear pickup. It's a CS deal and has a JB full bridge bucker and can be split. Long story, short, it wasn't wired with the blend control, and I'm debating whether take it in to an authorized repair place for the fix.

It's wired normal right now and it's fine. Never played with a blend control before. I don't know if it'd be a real useful thing for me, and worth the time and driving to get it fixed.

2. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I like a master vol and master tone on guitars. So for me, using that extra pot for a blend was a no brainer. Very useable tones. Gets my strats into tele territory with the option of blending the neck and bridge.

3. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

My Grosh has a blend control and I really dig it for getting tele-like tones. That's really all I use it for - Bridge + Neck

4. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I've had a blend control on a Strat for a little while and it's got pluses and minuses. With my SSS setup, it can be nice to add a bit of neck to the bridge and vice versa, nice for strumming chords at lower gain or clean settings. But with higher gain and/or single-note lines, I prefer the purity & drive of a single pickup. There is also a bit of noise added when using the blend control.

I'm leaning towards having two separate no-load tone pots; it's nice to have tone controls dedicated to the neck (and middle) & bridge positions. With a SSS Strat, I generally like to have the bridge tone backed down a bit and leave the middle and neck positions wide open. With the blender, I'm spending too much time monkeying around with the single tone pot as I switch pickup positions.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1! Love it so much I put one on my lip stick strat as well.

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I think the blend control is great for strats, however I'm not sure how useful it would be with the humbucker and I'm not sure if you'd want to give up the separate tone control for the bridge p/u. That being said, if you're going to do it, consider replacing your master tone pot with a blender as well. Blender pots are essential no-load tone pots but they dont 'click' when you turn them all the way up. This is assuming that your master tone is a 250k.

7. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

Gimmick......bordering on conspiracy. :nono

I don't like 'em. :)

8. mprvise

mprvise Member

My Grosh has a humbucker in the bridge (Bent Top Custom) and the blend is VERY useful.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Love the blend control. You can find some unique tones with it on a guitar that without it produces run of the mill sounds.

10. rslowr

rslowr Member

I blend neck and bridge for the tele touch, and also the neck/middle for a softer sound. Love it.

11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

My Suhr modded Relic has that blend control. It's very cool.

12. 2112

2112 Member

I love it on my Strat :BEER

[​IMG]

13. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I had it on a strat I wasn`t digging ....
    when I swapped pickguards (same pickups CS69`s)) to a pickguard with standard wiring ..... the guitar came alive ..The blend guard was Chandler assembled, the standard guard was Acme assembled ...all with 250k pots.
    My tech and I agreed the blend circuit was having a negative effect on the "breathing" ....I can`t back this up with theory ...
    In practice that`s definately what happened in my case .
    You might want to find a way to A/B test and check that out . Good luck

14. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Steve Blucher of DiMarzio gave me some useful insight into the blender pot a few years ago. Many Gibsons , Gretsch's and other guitars have separate volumes that allow you to blend 2 sometimes 3 pickups. My Epiphone Alleykat has this feature as well. You would think you would get this big rainbow of tonal colors with each slight movement of the volume knobs. It is always pretty much an on or off affair. I usually use a pull pot on the bridge tone control of my Strat to give me the neck and bridge. You still have a tone control for the bridge and it's an easy transition to go from the bridge and neck pickups to just the bridge pickup for a solo and then back again. Versus dialing off the blend pot and then dialing it back in.

I guess some will say they think the blend pot is worth it but I would have to go with Steve on this one.

15. Izy

Izy Member

I did it on my van zandt strat.

And i love it. Gives me more tonal options.

Two thumbs up!

16. Amplite

Amplite Member

I love mine on a Strat with 3 singles! I actually use it to take some high end off the bridge pickup and add a little roundness - great while soloing. Much nicer than rolling off some high end. And then the neck /bridge option is cool.

17. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

as was said before, more tonal options. I have it on a Suhr classic strat, and it really rounds out and fattens up the tone on the bridge- I am really glad I have it. It is a relatively small incremental cost for more fllexibility.

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this.

My preferred Strat wiring is master vol, tone for the neck and tone for the bridge, no tone pot for the middle pickup at all. This brightens up the #2 and #4 positions slightly.

In my experience, the blend pot sucks highs because all three pickups run through a tone pot. That has a calming effect on the bridge pickup, but sucks a little highs out of the split positions.

So far, I haven't found a blend pot wiring scheme that I like. I think it might be a good idea in theory, but I haven't sound one in practice that I think makes the compromise on the high end worth it.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

That's some pic, 2112. Tasty.

Blend control is a great tool. Needs to be wired in with the good tone caps & volume cap to live life to the fullest. I think Grosh wires his stuff exceptionally well. He's good at everything... Acme does well but these days can't produce in a proper manner, ymmv. But bridge & neck on a Strat? Please! Too damn cool. And all pups on at the same time? That's Love. Big Love.

20. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have a blender on a HSS with a potted burstbucker 3 and love it. Huge range of options... maybe a bit confusing to get the hang of, but very versatile.