• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How desirable is a JCM800 2x12 4104 amp? is it the combo version of a specific head?

saxophonist56

Silver Supporting Member
a 4104 jcm800 popped up for sale locally.....any info would be appreciated. thx in advance

V-man

For the tone and the sound, it’s the one. For the package (112 combo) it’s low on the totem pole (of the best 800s).

don’t expect to pay $800 anymore, but it’s not a $2k 2204 either.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
I had an early ‘80’s vertical input 4104 with G12-65’s. it is the combo version of the 2204. Prices range from $1000 - $1500 in good to mint condition. My amp sold at the high end of that range.

A really great sounding amp. A great rock band amp. Great tones at band volumes (hard to get a bad tone at volume). It is a loud amp, even with the master volume, it gets loud very quickly.

I never used OD pedals with my JCM 800, but I imagine that it would sound really good with an OD pedal at lower volumes.

An early ‘80’s JCM 800 4104 with G12-65’s is highly recommended. I can’t speak for later model JCM800’s.

Last edited:

Brian.gerhard

Silver Supporting Member
They’re great amps..the g12 70s aren’t terrible..a little raspy perhaps but the low end from them is great and imo shouldn’t keep you from picking one up . I gigged with one for years and kept one g12 70 and paired it with a g12 65 and had great results

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
I had an early vertical input 4104. Traded a 60s Super Reverb for it, which was a mistake for sure.

Mine had a G12-70 and EL34s — not sure if that model was originally imported with 6550s. Seems I read somewhere that Marshall added a certain capacitor in an attempt to give it a more of a closed-back response. It was louder than hell but was otherwise unsatisfying. The cleans were much better than the drive and it blew fuses when cranked. Low input was unusable.

schwa

I have a 2204 head that I run with a 2x12 cab. I think it's a great rig. However, if turned up it will shake the walls.

The other thing to consider is that it's a combo. I am too old and weak to move such a thing.

V-man

I have a 2204 head that I run with a 2x12 cab. I think it's a great rig. However, if turned up it will shake the walls.

The other thing to consider is that it's a combo. I am too old and weak to move such a thing.
wait, you said you had a “2204 head” then you called it a “combo”... which is it?

If the latter, A lot of guys turned their 212 combos into “poor man’s heads”.

The chassis are literally identical with the exception of the “upside down face plate”. If you have the 212 combo, you can transplant it into a headshell and simply reverse the mod whenever it suits you. A guy is selling the same amp that he made a 2204 for however long and has restored to the combo for sales purposes.

jimmybigtime

I’ve got the 112 version. 4010. Great amp. Plugged into the high sensitivity input and cranked a bit it sounds huge. I imagine the 212 sounds bigger. Also takes drive pedals fantastic in the low sensitivity input.

schwa

Seems clear to me that the "it" in the first paragraph is the poster's own amp, and the "it" in the second paragraph is the amp the OP was referring to.
Sorry for not being clear, but mlj_gear is correct. I have a head, and was referring to the OP's interest in the combo.

It was an attempt at a joke that landed with a thud. A 2204 2x12 combo will likely sound great, but it isn't something I would like to have to move regularly.

wntbtw

For the tone and the sound, it’s the one. For the package (112 combo) it’s low on the totem pole (of the best 800s).

don’t expect to pay $800 anymore, but it’s not a $2k 2204 either.
It`s not the 1x12 combo--it`s the 2x12 combo.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I have the 1x12 version- the 4010. It's a great blues rock amp (and suits me perfectly), but not as great a hard rock or metal amp as the head and 4x12 cab would be.
The 1x12 is heavy enough- I would not want the 2x12.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom