How detailed have you guys gotten on your CS orders?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LoopyBullet, Mar 28, 2015.

1. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

I'm looking to get a '63 CS Strat in the next year or so when I have enough saved, but I was wondering - how detailed have your CS orders been on guitars? I want some specific things in the wood like (1) a very tight and straight quartersawn maple neck, (2) a specific neck taper measurement, (3) a rough weight of the guitar, (4) the way the wear on the back of the neck is done (like a gradual fade instead of an abrupt "cliff" of lacquer), (5) and the screw placement. I guess these are the main things that are in the "might be asking for too much" category, since most custom builders I've worked with in various fields tend to get even BIG details wrong.

You guys think that this is too much to ask of the Custom Shop? Seems like they'd be the ones, if any shop in the world since they've done crazy things like the Splatocaster, but maybe they're not into THAT level of detail. I'm sure that this would have to be masterbuilt. Nothing really extraordinary about the guitar besides the specifics of the wood.

2. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Asking for too much is when you stipulate palomino gelding hide glue.

3. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I am sure you can get into more detailed options with a private builder.
    My g/f builds guitars and will always do her best to get her client exactly what he wants. She talks with them throughout the entire build process.

4. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

Haha. Good thoughts. Any more?

5. Devnor

Devnor Member

Why not ask a dealer if these options are available? Nobody here knows what CS and the dealer are willing to do for what you expect to pay.

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

AIUI Masterbuilt (which your requests would certainly be) is a pretty much "sky's the limit" thing; if you'll pay for it, they'll build it.

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

You know something is obscure when you google it and this thread comes up first ;)