How did Creedence get their tone?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by HugoTheCat, Aug 10, 2019.

1. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

Ex) “Susie Q” and “Run to the Jungle”.

Very common sounds but I love it. Especially his lead tone.
    What was he using?

2. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

3. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

On the first couple CCR albums John Fogerty mainly played a Rickenbacker 325 into a Kustom 200 amp, as far as I know.

4. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

John: Rickenbacker 325 and a Les Paul. Tom: Rickenbacker 360 and Guild Starfire IV. Both: Kustom K200A.

GGinMP and HugoTheCat like this.
  6. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

I read a John Fogerty interview where he said he used the Kustom 200's Harmonic Clipper(fuzztone) circuit for soloing on some songs, including Susie Q, I'm pretty sure.

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Yeah John Fogerty has a Rickenbacker 325 Modify with Humbucker in bridge and bigsby into 100 watt Kustom K200A-4 and 2x15 JBL cabinet

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

They are one of those bands for me that have fantastic songs/albums, but horrible tone.

9. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I've always felt their sound has held up well. I thought it worked well for their style.

Now I don't think those Kustoms would have necessarily worked well for Hendrix, Clapton and Page at the time but I seem to recall an interview where he purposely tried to separate himself from the front runners at the time by using the Kustom amps.

I have an old basic Kustom 150 from the late 60s. I actually like that amp a lot but I wish it had the tremolo, reverb and fuzz circuits. It sounds pretty good through a pair of Vintage 30 speakers.

10. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Way better on the record than live. It’s bizarro world.

11. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

The Rick had a PAF in the bridge. That's the hollow sounding lead guitar (best I can describe it) on a lot of tracks. The black Les Paul was tuned down to 'D'. Live it was the Kustom. Studio work could have easily been Fenders, as it was for Cosmos Factory.

12. Laurence

They just pushed the amps too hard in large live situations.

Fred132 likes this.
  13. rollyfoster

So did Townsend, Clapton, Hendrix, Duane, Page, Gibbons, etc etc

Laurence likes this.
  14. PRW

PRW Member

Their tone was perfect for what they were trying to do.

ZMoney, ljs, geek-mo and 15 others like this.
  15. Laurence

They didn't play SS.

Page may have for a short while with Vox.

jimmyj likes this.
  16. rollyfoster

Well either way it sounds like somebody lodged their tone against an embutment.

Moxsam, WornFrets and coffeecupman like this.
  17. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Having the best rhythm section around was a big part of that sound. It also helped that they didn't resort to extreme distortion like many other bands did and had very clean high gain sounding guitars. And having a guy named Russ Gary as their engineer no doubt was a big part of their sound.
    It probably helped that they recorded for a label that was previously mostly known as a jazz label.

It is also obvious that there was a lot of studio trickery involved in the guitar parts, the lead and fill guitar parts live were not nearly as competent sounding as on record.

Susans_House, openbar and Laurence like this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"Front runners?"...who had more top ten hits than Credence back then?

art_z, GGinMP, DrumBob and 1 other person like this.
  19. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3327/john-fogerty-2/
    As songwriters and hitmakers, sure. Strong case for "best American Rock band".

As far as guitarists....well, in the words of John Fogerty:

...I realized that Jerry Douglas is my favorite musician of all time. He just does it to my entire psyche – my heart, my memory, the whole thing. You’re trying to get inspiration; you’re trying to learn things; you’re kicking yourself in the butt. And Jerry surrounds himself with all these great musicians. One day, I just realized, “God, listen to Sam Bush there! Wow, listen to Russ Barenberg, or Edgar Meyer, or Eddie Bayers.” All those cats are just so incredible.And at that moment the little searchlight down in the dark, dark cavern in my brain finds that molecule that I’d tucked away – the one where I was 13 and promised myself I was going to grow up and be really good, right? So it’s sitting there illuminated. I’m going, “Oh, sheesh!” I’m remembering that I said that to myself, and I’m hearing Jerry Douglas, and there’s a nanosecond of revelation, I guess. Basically, at that moment, you’ve got two choices. You’re on the tightrope. You go, “I’m gonna do it,” or you go, “Nah, it’s too late. Screw it.” I had that moment, and it was embarrassing. I was 48 years old, and I said to myself, “You were supposed to be good. What did you do?” So that kicked me in the butt.

But it’s not like you were inept on the guitar.
    No, but there’s a difference. There are the people like Chet Atkins and Brent Mason and Mark Knopfler, Bryan Sutton, Vince Gill, and I don’t know all of his work, but Brad Paisley. Monsters. Mofos. People like James Burton, Albert Lee, Ray Flacke. You’re just in awe. And, of course, Jerry Douglas. And I certainly wasn’t one of them – the guys who are the men among men. I had fondly told myself over the years, “Well, John, you have emotion. You don’t have all the chops, but you can get emotion out of the guitar, and the part in the tune on the record works okay.” And Lord knows I’ve had a few of those. But that other thing, where I now saw what I’d promised myself; I don’t know how to say it other than it was a revelation. I could remember what I thought that meant when I was 13. So you’re forward and backward in time all at once. Here I am in the future, a shaking, pale shadow of what my childish mind had projected for me [laughs].

20. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

sure about that? their Kustom amps are as prominent on the cover as the Fender:

[​IMG]