How did EVH get these gain levels without pedals ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BryanMatthews, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I don't know....it did not sound good at all.

2. jetydosa

jetydosa Supporting Member

I think (most) people have been overthinking early EVH tone for years. If I can get ~90% there with a humbucking guitar and cranked 73 SuperLead no pedals, etc, surely that last 10% can be attributed to:
    Eddies particular guitar, Eddies particular head (they vary wildly obviously), studio wizardy, and Eddie being a bad ass.

3. rdodson

rdodson Member

Zloz has admitted to that pic being staged. If you listen to DLR's and/or EVH's iso tracks that have now been made public, you hear zero bleed.

Many now think the VH1 sessions were recorded with one 4x12 in an iso booth with one SM57 on a Greenback and one SM57 on a JBL D120. That magic cab is pictured several times. The two mics each had their own track.

The Univox was NEVER in the signal path except for Eruption. That is straight from Rudy Leiren via Dave Friedman (who would know).

4. Balok

Balok Member

This pic looks like it's from rehearsals for the 2nd tour, when Dave broke his foot (see cast, cane). Certainly not a recording setup. The D120 makes sense for more highs..or Landee could have just added it at the desk...those old boards had great sounding eq.

5. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

:thud

No harm intended, but I can no longer take you seriously, Sir.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I hear that high end sizzle as a greenback begging for mercy. My 800 with GB's exhibit that sizzle with lots of volume and medium gain under a close mic.

Thats not everything but I think it's a part of the sound.

7. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

These things are never considered, understandbly I quess, the magic Oz behind the curtain for most people.

A microphone hears completely different than we do, effectively becoming almost another thing (not to mention the further effects on the signal of being recorded to/listened back FROM analog tape). It takes a good engineer to sus it out/put it back and mix it all together, the BEST sounding guitar, piano etc in a mix can sound like complete CRAP when you hit the solo button...shrug

note: I don't think these iso's are from tape, I believe they are 'put back together from the xbox algorithm for Guitar hero or somesuch' I could be wrong about the source, but master iso's these are not, might take that into consideration when analyzing these....anyway..

....Donn Landee druthered the Putnam 610 console and subsequent mic pre among other things, and certainly IF desired some nice gain could've been gotten/created...right there..who knows...but trying to get a live amp to sound like a recorded signal coming off of analog TAPE, subsequently mastered, compressed, eq'd and mixed is odd when you think about it, not wrong, but certainly a whole market of amps have been altered to mimic such...god bless little eddie v....lmao.

For $700, YOU could go the distance, be the king. And if you don't make, you WILL have an incredible pre for recording YOUR amp. And at the same time probably open a whole nuther can of whoop ass on your wallet chasing the sonic insanity related to everything on the other side of the microphone....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Cool man, very good points!

9. NFB

NFB Senior Member

It is so thin, bright & buzzy, it hurts. My Bouzouki has got more bottom end.

Sounds like a SM 57 was stuck in the cone of a cone crying greenback.

Eddies tone was nothing but the figment of ones imagination....listen to him live.....nothing like the studio stuff. I bet he owned the first ever Line 6 POD in 1977-78.

But I luv the guy!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  10. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

not only all this, also ted templeman right?
    the pre amps on those old neve or ssl boards can add a huge amount of gain on the inputs. could be eddie heard a completely different sound in the headphones or studio monitors as well which allowed him to just shred.also, its eddie van halen. if you ever saw him live, youll know it.

11. Mark C

Mark C Member

Didn't read all the posts, but I had a 73' superlead that would get gain levels close to that. Bone stock. Borrowed a 70' and it too would do it. Of course, after playing them at those settings, I can no longer have children...

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

In A History of Marshall The Illustrated Story Of The Sound Of Rock by Michael Doyle the author says that he examined one of Eddie's main Marshalls and found that it wasn't modded at all. So like some have said here he probably got most of his tone by just cranking his amp.

13. Unabender

Unabender Member

Eddie did not use any vintage amps in the 70 and 80's.

Can anyone guess why?

14. brikus

brikus Senior Member

Isn't there also the fact his pickups were partially broken ?

15. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

that's how i hear it-
    a cranked marshall tone with breathing power tube compression, fattened up with micing/preamp/eq/fx.

16. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

:agree

...from this point it should be started... ;)

17. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

Oh Man, apparently you and I have some vastly different ideas of what constitutes good tone. You've just single-handedly curbed any curiousity I had towards Dumble-related amps.

Horses for courses. :beer

18. RedRock

RedRock Member

So, no one thinks he had some heads with the Jose Arredondo mod?

19. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I believe he never used a Marshall. I bet he modded a transistor radio with a 3 " speaker. No stock early Marshall sounds like that cranked.

Seriously have you heard him live in the early years? He sounded nothing like the album. I believe Eddie was up to his old bag of tricks.

20. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Scriptphase,

I am kidding a bit, but seriously I do stand behind my comment that his live sound especially in the early years sounded nothing like the album.

He fooled everybody with his transistor radio setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.