How Did I End Up Here? (Delay Content)

Tootone

Don't stress... Rubberneck = Gimmick.

Let me guess, you tripped out for a few hours, listening to the "whoosh" when moving the time knob. Then you had supper, went to bed, and never touched it again. LOL

moirearty

Echo Park is hands down the most used delay pedal out of all of em! It's not even close.

This is how sick I am- I almost bought another Echo Park just the other day. In case my footswitch ever goes out.

So I agree. Echo Park, Timeline, and... maybe the Suhr Discovery? Would cover every base I would ever conceivably need. (I would say the Rubberneck, but I actually just sold that one... :cry:)
In my experience the Discovery is mediocre sounding but has amazing Midi and perhaps the best interface on an analog delay pedal. It's like the Moog One of pedal interfaces - insanely well thought out and polished, and pretty expensive in its class for what it offers (XVIVE delay chips and limited modulation / no effects loop insert).

Sound wise it's "fine". I a/b'd it level-matched using a switcher and randomly pressed the switcher to the point where I didn't know what was playing and 90%+ of the time I found myself preferring the "not discovery" option so I sold it. I rarely sell pedals and I was pretty annoyed because they are so hard to track down I wanted to like it more but I just didn't.

YMMV of course depending on Amp and Guitar and all that.

I suggest a Habit. The delay in there is actually really really good, and you get the fun loopy stuff along with that but it takes a bit of learning the dipswitches to get it to act normal. I think you'll find you prefer it over at least one of the Tonal Recalls. I have the RKM also and like that quite a bit... and similarly want to track down a Blue Knob to hear the differences first hand, haha.

So I get it. But you can only use one of these at a time for the most part so if you find yourself holding onto gear for "what if" scenarios that don't ever happen... maybe it would be better to part with if it's not unobtanium unless you truly do a ton of producing etc. and I mean like hours a week every week - then sure have a big gear locker because it makes sense.

But one of the things that annoys me the most about the recent gear climate, especially in the synth world for example, is you have wealthy collectors or speculators buying up quality old hardware to flip years later for enormous profits - without ever making art with it and sharing that art with themselves or the world. It's a shame imo for the tools to go unused, which especially the guys with like 35 synths are guilty of. A lot of them can't even play the piano and it just makes me facepalm because like, one of those Ob-Xas or whatever would pay for a year or more of lessons that would have so much more practical impact on their lives than whatever type of specific cork-sniffing vintage analog filters the synth they're plucking notes out on is using. I say this with love as someone who enjoys cork sniffing.

Oinkus

How could it matter ? It is stuff that you bought used or tried and kept ? I buy pedals and keep them with a couple given to friends at cost sometimes. You actually still play out and get paid which is a hell of a lot more than most of the people typing responses like me. I have had my eye on the DLS Echo Tour since I got the RotoSPIN and it will be mine soon !

stargazer747

I'm a Delay guy thru and thru, however this sort of happened to me over Reverbs. I almost never used a Reverb in over 4 decades of playing, then suddenly a few years back as I was G.A.S.ing over boutiques in a brief yet costly obsession I found myself getting into them more so for some ambient stuff I was tinker around on, not my typical 60s, 70s, & 80s Classic Rock stuff I normally do.

I put together a Pedaltrain Metro 24 with 6x Reverbs and 2 Delays, not sure where I was going with this nor how I could possible use these many Reverbs (and Delays) all at once, had I left it to perpetuate the waves washes and levels of echoing coming out of this monstrosity would have undoubtedly resulted in me sending out into space some weird cosmic signal possibly insulting some alien empire in their own language and are now on their way here to destroy us all.

Anyway, it didn't last long. I eventually realized early on it wouldn't be of any use so I began breaking it down and sold all the Reverbs but one (Walrus Audio Slo), so now there is once again balance in the Force, me and my Delays!

PhuzzphayzZ

Echo Park is hands down the most used delay pedal out of all of em! It's not even close.

This is how sick I am- I almost bought another Echo Park just the other day. In case my footswitch ever goes out.

So I agree. Echo Park, Timeline, and... maybe the Suhr Discovery? Would cover every base I would ever conceivably need. (I would say the Rubberneck, but I actually just sold that one... :cry:)
you sold the Rubby? ok, you gotz a problem!!!

Orvillain

You're doing a good thing OP. Buying all the delays so I don't have to! ;)

Currently I've got:
Boss DD500
Boss DD8
Hardwire DL-8
MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe
Boss DM-2 Waza
Boss RV500 (got the Space Echo built into it!)

I used to have more, but I flogged them off!

El Phaco

I'd keep the EP, the Carbon Copy or the DE7, sell everything else, and buy a nice amp/guitar/holidays/whatever you fancy with the money. Like everyone here I've accumulated too much things but I luckily sometimes know how to be pragmatic (still have 4 delays but I'm a delay whore... Had more, but sold them all).

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
What's your go-to for slapback?
For slapback?

Usually the Echo Park. And I've been using the Lovepedal Gen5 for slapback on my backup board.

There's something about the Echo Park. I actually bought that one more on a whim than maybe any of the other delays, and it has somehow wormed its way into main board. It kind of has the perfect UI and set up. Because of the tap tempo, I'm able to tap in and out of slapback and other delay times very easily.

The Gen5, on the other hand, just works really well for slapback. I don't know if you e ever tried it, but it's really only good for one, *maybe* two, repeats. At least in a band mix. Because the repeats are so dark and washy. But with slapback that doesn't really matter, plus you can adjust the modulation on the repeats. And the thing that seals the deal for me? The output volume knob. (Labeled "Boost".) I can turn it up so that the whole signal is boosted, making my slapback parts jump in front of the mix a little bit, for instance if I have a little repeating Rockabilly lick for part of a song.

I tried to use the El Cap like the Echo Park, but I found that I was unable to tap into slapback from a longer delay or vise versa due to the design; you need to flip a switch in order to get down fast enough for slapback when you're on 8th notes, and the same for going the other way.

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
In my experience the Discovery is mediocre sounding

Sound wise it's "fine"
I appreciate the input. I guess I've heard that before... maybe I just don't want to believe it lol.

I need to figure out which Analog Delay will meet my fancy, whilst still having tap tempo.

Maybe I'll have to take the plunge and get a Memory Man Tap Tempo-1100? :dunno

Habit seems cool, but I'm thinking about something analog. The Rubberneck was awesome, and I'm sure I could have been completely happy with that. But I feel like certain delays I've used before have this particular "vibe" that I'm looking for, which the Rubberneck came very, very close- but not quite.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
How did I end up here-
Yju6o6k.jpeg

...that's 10 delay pedals. Plus I have two more, an El Capistan and a Lovepedal Gen5 Echo, which are on my gigging board at the practice space.

...plus I have two Tonal Recalls on order. (Pre-ordered the regular Tonal Recall when it was announced they were ending production, then convinced myself I would never be content with it unless I was able to compare it to the Red Knob Mod version, so I pre-ordered one of those, too.)

Seriously though. I don't even like delay *like that*. I mean, sure, it's cool. But not 10+ pedals cool. I typically only use it for slapback on certain parts of certain songs, or once in a while I'll set up a little bit of a longer delay for solos to get that 80's Wank sound.

Has anyone else woken up one day to realize that their small pedal selection had gotten out from under them, and somehow turned into a collection?

I'm not a collector. I'm not the Edge. So, I'll ask again-

How did I end up here? :dunno

And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"…

chanley

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have too many duplicates, (ignoring the pile of 4 or 5 octave fuzzes that I can't seem to stay away from), but I have recently been experiencing a change of setup. I moved last month and packed up the "big" board, (big for me, 12-14 pedals/switcher). In the interim, I put together a small 4 pedal board, (well, 3 really, but I'm including my iridium), until we figure out where everything goes/the rest of all of our stuff arrives. I had a sad realization the other night.....I'm not sure I'm missing the big board. All in on the big board in the closet, there's probably around 4k'ish worth of stuff, just sitting there.

Aceman893

I think that's the part that kind of ****s with my head- when you look at it like that, they each have their own thing and have a place; they're not unreasonable.

Big picture, though? 12 (well, 11 if I unloaded one of the big boxes) delays doesn't seem like a reasonable thing!

As far as the Timeline/Timefactor thing, I couldn't agree more. The Timeline is clearly superior in most ways; the fidelity, the variety of sounds and different types of delays, not to mention that the UI on the Timefactor is clunky AF. But the Timefactor just has a certain vibe that I love! Something about the sounds just remind me early high-end rack delays, where it's clearly digital, but also has this particular "earthiness" to it..or something. I can't really put my finger on it. But I've thrown the Timefactor on my gigging board and used it for gigs, whereas the Timeline has always stayed at the house and used for making weird noises at home! :rotflmao

I guess I keep the Timeline around because it's the best in class (in my opinion, obviously!). And when I need a particular sound or thing, I *know* I can get it from the Timeline, and probably pretty quickly.

Also, I'm holding out for a young post-rock band to come knocking on my door so I can put it to use....
Listen man, I have 20 Tremolos (maybe more...). THAT is messed up.

We can all find use for a half dozen different delays on a board over a set...you are fine.

jgraham140

Tape delay was one of the original effects. It was often added in the studio before it was available in pedal form. Scotty Moore's amp had a built-in tape delay that he purchased because Chet Atkins had one. It is the sound of rock n roll. Always use sparingly. Mine is an EHX Deluxe Memory Man, though I often use a Digitech Digidelay to save space on my board.

Top Bottom