How Did I End Up Here? (Delay Content)

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
Hit me... with your delay recommendations, of course!

Skreddy! I've only tried the Carbon Copy and Deco amongst the ones on your board, but I've owned countless delay pedals and the original v1 Skreddy Echo is my favorite by a wide margin. I'd love to try the new version at some point.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I've been down a similar path with delays over the years as well, although I tend to unload stuff a bit more regularly when it's not in the current rotation. That said, I feel like I've tried just about every day in existence, which is ironic since I'm not really even that big of delay user. I guess I'm ultimately just really particular about my sound. I could say the same thing about overdrives too, as back in the day, I tried almost ALL of them until I found the one I like and I've stuck with that now for nearly a decade.

Anyway, with delays, it's taken me a long time to find the sound I really like, but in the process I learned a lot about delays and what I like and dislike. For me, the sound I keep coming back to is the Deluxe Memory Man XO, so that's what I ultimately wound up with, in conjunction with a Diamond Memory Lane Jr. I keep both on my board, but the DMM does the heavy lifting and gets the most use. There's just something really special about that pedal, and once I was able to fully appreciate it, all my other days went out the door.

I also have a J. Rockett Clockwork on my mini board, but that's really just a modern DMM with tap tempo and controllable modulation. No 24-volt power requirement though, which is nice.

El Phaco

I tried to use the El Cap like the Echo Park, but I found that I was unable to tap into slapback from a longer delay or vise versa due to the design; you need to flip a switch in order to get down fast enough for slapback when you're on 8th notes, and the same for going the other way.
That's why you want two delays on board.

That said, if you really like a good slapback, I can't recommend enough to get a TRex Replicator. Best slapback I ever had, and I had a bunch...

Don McK

Silver Supporting Member
How did I end up here-
Yju6o6k.jpeg

...that's 10 delay pedals. Plus I have two more, an El Capistan and a Lovepedal Gen5 Echo, which are on my gigging board at the practice space.

...plus I have two Tonal Recalls on order. (Pre-ordered the regular Tonal Recall when it was announced they were ending production, then convinced myself I would never be content with it unless I was able to compare it to the Red Knob Mod version, so I pre-ordered one of those, too.)

Seriously though. I don't even like delay *like that*. I mean, sure, it's cool. But not 10+ pedals cool. I typically only use it for slapback on certain parts of certain songs, or once in a while I'll set up a little bit of a longer delay for solos to get that 80's Wank sound.

Has anyone else woken up one day to realize that their small pedal selection had gotten out from under them, and somehow turned into a collection?

I'm not a collector. I'm not the Edge. So, I'll ask again-

How did I end up here? :dunno
I have a similar delta problem with a different selection, plus I’ve sold a few off. Probably if I had to reform I’d keep the Carbon Copy Mini and tearfully shed the rest.

BDUbs

How did I end up here-
Yju6o6k.jpeg

...that's 10 delay pedals. Plus I have two more, an El Capistan and a Lovepedal Gen5 Echo, which are on my gigging board at the practice space.

...plus I have two Tonal Recalls on order. (Pre-ordered the regular Tonal Recall when it was announced they were ending production, then convinced myself I would never be content with it unless I was able to compare it to the Red Knob Mod version, so I pre-ordered one of those, too.)

Seriously though. I don't even like delay *like that*. I mean, sure, it's cool. But not 10+ pedals cool. I typically only use it for slapback on certain parts of certain songs, or once in a while I'll set up a little bit of a longer delay for solos to get that 80's Wank sound.

Has anyone else woken up one day to realize that their small pedal selection had gotten out from under them, and somehow turned into a collection?

I don't know, know, know, know, know!

Dasherf7

How did I end up here-
Yju6o6k.jpeg

Stephen Stills once said about his many guitars (and I'm sure it applies to anything musical) each one has its own voice...

BrownCat

Talk about delay-ed gratification…!
Nothing wrong with having a large box of crayons if you’re spending time drawing pictures that make you happy.

I also want to put in another good word for the Rubberneck. I had a Flashback Mini but couldn’t get a sound I liked out of it. Others like that line but, for me, it just added nothing. Then I tried the Rubberneck and the difference was remarkable. Very usable options, too (dirt, modulation, tone). The layout’s great, as well, like a mini-tape delay. I haven’t yet had much use for the “rubberneck” feature, itself, which mimics the slider on an old EP3, but it’s fun to play with.

My third delay (and last—for now…) is the marvelous JHS Milkman. If you like Americana, early and classic rock, it’s THAT sound in a box. Plug it in and it sounds great. It does not sport a long delay time but it has an EP style boost built in, which is great in combination with the delay. The tone control gives it more versatility, too. So, basically, like the Rubberneck, it’s also like using an old analog tape delay. Clearly, that’s what I appear to be drawn to.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
Hit me.

...with your delay recommendations, of course!
you probably dont need any of my recommendations lol, im not really a delay guy either but i keep buying big super delays (currently line 6 dl4 mkii, alter ego x4, tc triple delay, el cap, ardx20 w/ amaze1 and what have you) but they are overkill or i never learn to use them properly and the 2 i keep coming back to are the seymour duncan vapor trail and the tc alter ego

andys extensive demos from the alter ego and hardwire supernatural sold me on both, cant get rid of them

Oinkus

Just to point out how it is reasonable the amount of Delays you have , I have 15 ODs and 5 of them are double pedals. Only have 5 Delays currently but I see a couple more in the future !

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
When it comes to pedals, I have one rule.

If you want to keep it, put it on a Board and Play it.

From the Top down, Strymon Dig on the Main Board, GFI Specular Tempus and HX Stomp for Delays and on the Bottom Board, SA Collider.

The Bottom two boards are midi controllable and the possibilities are near endless and keep my GAS to a minimum.

Enjoy those delays.

Attachments

• IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 12

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I would almost understand too many drives or fuzzes, since they can be so shockingly different. But delay? Nah!

If you are big into a particular sound from the delay itself and/or its preamp, then a few make some sense.

The Echoplex thing is such an iconic part of guitar history, that it makes sense to have one delay that not only does the echo thing, but has that preamp on board. I'd pick which of my pedals does that best and get rid of the others that fall short. Fine, that's one. You have the tape delay sound and the classic preamp sound.

Darker analog delays (e.g., Boss DM-2) are another "flavor". You might want one delay that does that. Great. Pick the one that does it best. Dump the rest. That's two.

Obviously, digital delay is always a thing. Clean repeats that don't particularly degrade is totally different than tape or analog delays. So again, pick the one that does it best. Keep it. That's three.

If you have to have a multi-tap type thing, be it some clone or modern take on the Space Echo (three heads) or the Echorec (four heads), then great. There's an excuse for another one. Perhaps one of the multi delay beasts fits your needs. Great, that's four.

Depending on the above, you might want at least one delay that has modulation. Heck, one of the above might already have it. But if not, keep one that does. That's five.

Five is half of ten!

...that's 10 delay pedals. Plus I have two more, an El Capistan and a Lovepedal Gen5 Echo, which are on my gigging board at the practice space. ...plus I have two Tonal Recalls on order.

How will you ever resist the Meris LVX? Even I am having trouble resisting that one.

Also, what about modulation? Do you have a stack of Shallow Waters and Juliannas as well?

QuickDraw

Don't stress... Rubberneck = Gimmick.

Let me guess, you tripped out for a few hours, listening to the "whoosh" when moving the time knob. Then you had supper, went to bed, and never touched it again. LOL
the rubberneck ended my search for another delay, its currently my only delay and i dont use the rubberneck feature. the only thing i would change is to simplify the controls, the sound is great though. its a gimmick as much as any pedal is.

Top Bottom