How did i not know that you could rent pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by schecterc1lh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

I wish they would post the "assessed value of the pedal" for each pedal.

Methinks their assessment won't match up with the renter's assessment.

2. thewordking

thewordking Member

It is an interesting idea but given the cost it seems like it really only makes sense if you're going into the studio on a set date and want to try something out. For the rest of us who just want to try out a bunch of stuff with no timetable it seems like the netflix model would be much more feasible. Otherwise it just makes more sense to me to buy and flip since you're generally not going to lose more than $20 and you can keep it as long as you want.

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

if anyone wants to rent my pedals i would rent them.
    I think it is a good idea this one that they have.

4. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Yeh I like the idea of it, yeh its kinda expensive, but as a starving artist I can't just chunk out 500 bucks for a timeline and sell it back if I need to, I don't have the time...but if I could spend a week with it for 40 bucks and see if it was a necessity for me then yeh that makes sense to me, also (depending on price) I wouldn't mind having a 4 month payment plan on one either...

5. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I emailed asking about the rent to own. I got this reply.

"That option is not currently available from the shopping cart. Right now you just rent a pedal and if it's available for rent to own, we'll let you know. Your rental would go towards it.

We'll be gradually adding this option to the checkout process over the next few days and weeks."

6. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

7. jbhights

jbhights Member

Not for everyone - but there's certainly room in the market for it. I think it's a great idea! Now, dude probably won't get rich from it and may even run into some logistical problems, but it's a brand new program - there's always some quirks to work out. I, like others, probably will just "buy to try" and unload if I don't like the pedal... but that doesn't work for everyone's financial situation.

Think of it from his perspective: He's just convinced his wife to buy and keep a bunch of brand new boutique pedals for inventory to loan out for a week or two at a time. When not on loan he gets to use these awesome pedals whenever he wants. If the model turns out to be a flop... he sells everything on the emporium. Either way he's making money... right?

8. Cooters23

Cooters23 Member

Seems like a cool idea. I hope it goes well for them.

9. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I just noticed he has the Jetter pedals.

10. V-man

V-man Member

I applaud their spirit of enterprise for this niche market. Clause 5 needs to be corrected however "notice withing a week or more - OK, within a week or less - penalty" (what happens when it is within a week exactly?), and there are many scenarios where Clause 8 will be their undoing.

11. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

^ this. It would probably take him awhile to start making a net-profit based on how much was spent on buying the pedals to begin with (although i'm sure some folks gave him discounts) but still, even if it tanks he sells everything and ends up back where he started... not a bad deal at all

12. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

I literally had this idea last week ("Netflix for pedals"). Another invention someone beat me to. Oye!

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

rent to own isn't a bad idea. back in the day, music stores used to do this with instruments - they may still be doing it with band instruments? anyhow that's how i bought my alto sax back in the day, i rented it until it looked like i would stick with the instrument, so then i paid the difference on what was left. also, my current Martin used to be a guitar that was rented out to folks from a store, and basically i put it to pasture by paying to buy it - but yeah that shop had already made its profit on it probably decades before via rentals on it.

14. seth247

seth247 Member

Hey guys, I'm the owner of TryAPedal.net. Just wanted to clarify a few things for ya (not planning on getting in any major debates here). The most expensive week rental is $45 (which includes shipping both ways). However, most pedals rent between $20 and $30. But if you want to rent a Timeline that cost me very close to retail since they aren't accepting new dealers, you gotta pay a bit more. You have the option to buy insurance which covers incidental damage or mail loss. But, yeah, if you break, lose it, set it on fire or give it a bath, you pay for it. But the "assessed" value of almost every pedal (in the interest of being open and honest) is about 18% off of whatever they sell for new. I don't say that specifically because in the event that I stock an original Klon for instance, the assessed value is going to be my replacement cost. I'm not in the business of trying to rip folks off. I'm trying to give people a service I always wanted.

Oh yeah, as far as the other post about loving a pedal and then having to return it. We do have the option to "Try it. Like it? Buy it!" t for a lot of pedals. That price is again about 18% off of retail.

15. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

18 percent off is a good deal for early adopters - not saying it isn't a good deal later on either, since i got my Martin for a very good deal, for instance. However i went into it knowing about a couple hundred dudes got their mitts on it first via rental, haha!

16. joel98z

joel98z Member

How many timeline do you have? I guessing if they are currently all rented out a wait list will start?

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Seems like a cool idea and I am sure there's a market for it.

That said, I am more the type that will buy a pedal, try it and if I don't like it I will flip it and buy something else.

18. seth247

seth247 Member

There are still 2 on hand!

19. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Member

More to starting a business than stocking product.

20. seth247

seth247 Member

Yeah, that is certainly an option and of course has been the only option for years. Since the economy has tanked though, I've found that flipping is a great deal harder. I've lost $50 to $60 on several flips and even returning with pgs and others you lose the shipping cost (not to mention you have to come up with the full amount of $ for the pedal up front)

Anyway, both are options. In both cases you spend money. To each their own! [​IMG]