How did Joe Perry get the tone on Adam's Apple?

Cropduster

Didn't want to hijack the other Joe thread. But this dang tune got me playing guitar many years ago and it beats me how he copped this sound.
Hopefully his guitar tech will read this and ask the man himself!
I've heard it all as to how he did it but I'd like you guys to chip in with your opinions and wisdom!

Cropduster

Just a "springy" sound that takes me back to great summer days in the 1970's. Swimming pools and bikinnis and going to Florida with the radio cranked. Ahhh....some Aerosmith and Mothers Finest! Ok, I'm now bummed :(

Well, obviously done with two guitar parts. The one amp sounds like some kind of bright el84 amp and the other sounds like some kind of 6L6 amp with a slight tweed ilk but, what do I know.

RRC

Cropduster

I just found this off another forum. Has the ring modulator in it as well......

QUOTE:
I know the answer to that question and I feel the same way you do, it's a killer guitar tone!

You won't believe it, but here's what Joe told me backstage at Uncle Sams in Nantasket Beach, Mass (not there anymore) right after a Joe Perry Project show...

It's his LP Junior plugged into a 100 Marshall powering 2 cabs with blackback 25's in them (they honk way more in the mids than greenbacks), they added some light ring modulation or slight doubler effect which he couldn't remember, to make it honk even more, but here's the main catch:

He tuned the high E and B strings differently than standard tuning but couldn't remember exactly where! If you notice that it's pretty impossible to nail that opening lick EXACTLY, that's why...it's not just the tone itself

I gave up on trying to figure that one out long ago, and I've still never heard anyone play it exactly right...

kind of like "the rain song", you can get pretty close in standard, but you really need the altered tuning to nail it...

KILLER SOUND AND RIFF!!

Trending Topics