• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How did my Budda Amp survive UPS?

BurnoutBright

A dealer in New York shipped this brand new amp in this box with just two flimsy styrofoam. Not even a plastic bag wrapping the amp. All four screws holding the chassis to the cab were rattled loose and I had to tighten them. The chassis were probably rattling the whole trip. It still powered up but don't know how much life is left in the tubes. These people need to read the packing threads here in TGP.

The amp is a Budda SDII 30.

Sniper-V

That's the original packing material from Budda but I do remember the amp in a plastic bag. The foam looks like it was worn out and the dealer should have reinforced it.

Where did you get it from?
Could have been a floor display model and the dealer saved the material.

bosstone

I don't see any damage to the box so I don't know why screws would have come loose and I can see that is double thick cardboard. It is the way Budda ships them so I t must work. I don't know what good the plastic wrap would have done. I have been told by UPS that the only way they would insure the package was if it was shipped in its original box. They don't always tell me that but on occasion they have. I would prefer that a package be insured if possible. I have shipped and received about 40 amps, most of the time by UPS. The only time there was damage is when I used FedEx and the only time an amp was lost was with FedEx, though they found they had shipped it to the wrong address for some reason (it had the correct address on the box) and got it to me two days later in good condition.

freaksho

that's how my SD45 came from M/F and there were no problems. i thinks that's factory standard packing, except for a plastic bag like you said. no big deal i think.

but it is interesting what you said about the screws - all of mine were loose too. chassis, back panel and even the handle. i mean, all of them needed tightening. it must be the way they do it at the factory because i just can't imagine that a tightened screw could shake loose during shipping. and definitely not all of them. :confused:

clothwiring

I would guess it was returned from a previous customer without the bag and the company never checked it out.

jackaroo

it seems ok to me. perhaps he took a few "gut shots" and didn't crank down the screws after?

Jimmydeez

Silver Supporting Member
Thats how my SD 18 1x12 came but there was plastic around the amp.

BTW you have a killer amp there.

BurnoutBright

but it is interesting what you said about the screws - all of mine were loose too. chassis, back panel and even the handle. i mean, all of them needed tightening. it must be the way they do it at the factory because i just can't imagine that a tightened screw could shake loose during shipping. and definitely not all of them. :confused:
This is interesting. Several have commented that their chassis screws were loosed. I didn't check the handle screws, maybe I should, before it comes off while carrying it. Anyways, when it first got to my house and I picked it up, I heard a rattle inside, and I was thinking this is not good, I probably have a bunch of broken tubes insides. But it survived. Maybe this is how Budda QA their amps.

BurnoutBright

Did you get it at Boynton Pro Audio?
Yeah. I got it from an Ebay auction from Boutiqueroomamps which is the online store of Boynton Pro Audio. The listing was for a demo Budda amp with a picture taken from Budda promotional pics. So I sent them an e-mail asking for pictures of the real amp and they sent me an e-mail back saying that "I will give you a new one in a box if you buy it now". And I fell for it :eek:. Obviously this box has been opened, it has finger smudges on the front and back panel. But other than that, the amp seems to be in new condition.

BurnoutBright

Thats how my SD 18 1x12 came but there was plastic around the amp.

BTW you have a killer amp there.
Thanks. I already got one band practice on the amp. And it is too loud. I had to use a Hotplate at -8db so I can get the master volume above 12 o'clock. That seems to be the setting that I feel the amp starts to sound good. I am thinking maybe the SDII 18 might be better suited for me. And our drummer is very heavy handed. I need to play with it some more. I tried powering it in my house, and I can only get the master volume to 8 o-clock even with the Hotplate, and the tone was not there at this volume.

I did find the plastic bag, it was at the bottom of the box.

Miles

I have seen much worse packaging. Plus, it is a head, not a combo, so that sort of foam would probably protect to a pretty intense degree just fine. I've noticed that a little play in movement, so long as it's padded, is actually gentler on an amp during commute. That way, they take a bounce and they have a little room to sink and come back, a bit like a trampoline versus a pickup with blown suspension. I've seen more stories of overly rigid packaging resulting in shattered tubes or loose circuitry within due to shaking.

I know there are a lot of hate stories for UPS Fedex and USPS, but the reality is that you don't end up hearing the positives and you only hear the horror stories. It's a bit like watching the evening news.

I have sent and recieved many packages via UPS and Fedex that arrived in perfect shape, and often earlier than expected.

zoooombiex

Two-Rock ships its amps in a similar container -- thick cardboard and two pieces of heavy-duty foam (on the bottom and one on top) that circle around, under, and over the amp.

The screws are a different issue. I would guess if they had been properly tightened before shipping that packing would be fine. Though a bag is nice in case of rain...

seeker

Hmm, that's not Budda packing material. My two heads were packed much better direct from Brandon, with a plastic bag, AND the heads were shipped upside down so the power tubes don't vibrate out of the sockets. I say shoot those photos to Brandon or Jeff at Budda. BTW- Those guys are great, the best customer service I've run across.

H

JES1680

Silver Supporting Member
Actually that is the way alot of heavy electronics are shipped. Stereos, printers etc..

Now here's a bad packing job. Lots of broken glass when I opened up this one. Talk about chintzy packing foam:(

But hey at least mine came in a bag:)

By the way this did NOT come from anyone here or from Goodsell.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. I already got one band practice on the amp. And it is too loud. I had to use a Hotplate at -8db so I can get the master volume above 12 o'clock. That seems to be the setting that I feel the amp starts to sound good. I am thinking maybe the SDII 18 might be better suited for me. And our drummer is very heavy handed. I need to play with it some more. I tried powering it in my house, and I can only get the master volume to 8 o-clock even with the Hotplate, and the tone was not there at this volume.

I did find the plastic bag, it was at the bottom of the box.
The SD18 is just as loud as the 30. Just not quite a much clean headroom with the 18. Both great sounding amps IMO.

ajchance

Genz Benz ships in a similar fashion - maybe just a little more foam than that. I received a Mesa amp a couple of years ago off ebay that the seller just plopped in the box without any packing whatsoever. I was mortified when I opened up the box, but it was completely unscathed. Sometimes you just get lucky!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom