How did Ted Nugent do it???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DB Cooper, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Member

Using a Gibson Byrdland semi-hollow body, how did Ted Nugent avoid monsterous feedback when using over 1000 watts of Fender amps?

Ted Nugent 1978 Fender Amp ad

So if he was using SIX Fender Super Twin Reverbs and SIX Dual Showman Reverbs - it's no wonder he was the loudest guitarist out there at the time.

How did that volume NOT come back and destroy his sound?

(I know the volume destroyed his hearing...)

Just wondering...

2. argylespots

argylespots Supporting Member

ted is, if nothing else, a master of controlling feedback and making it sound musical. just listen to stormtrooper. i saw him last summer and he only used the byrdlands for 2 or 3 songs, but i thought it was his best sound.

3. PVH5150

PVH5150 Senior Member

I kind of remember hearing or reading somewhere that Ted would dime all of his amps, but only have the volume knob on the Byrdland at 3 or 4, thus reducing the majority of the feedback. Still, 3 or 4 volume on a dimed any kind of amp is sure to be ear splitting.

Personally, I'm a massive fan of his tone over the past decade since he switched to his Peavey 5150/6505 rig (yes I know, my username makes that obvious). Just about any guitar I've seen him play live (Les Paul, PRS zebra & the Byrdland) sound menacing. Especially now that he's been playing in Eb for the past several tours. The intro to Stranglehold tuned down half a step gives me goosebumps.

4. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

Years ago, I remember reading that during sound checks he would find and mark all the places on the stage where feedback was easily achieved. He would use those spots during the performance.

5. germs

germs Member

he doesn't avoid feedback, he uses it as part of his sound.

so long as you're playing, there's not much feedback. and his songs are fairly "busy"...

6. korby

korby Member

Anytime the feedback gets out of control he pulls his Glock out and shoots it .

7. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    :rotflmao

8. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Fixed. :D

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

funniest **** ive read today!!!!:)

10. John C

John C Supporting Member

It wasn't quite that bad - I re-read the ad and he wasn't using 12 amps, he was "only" using the 6 Super Twins but also runing them through the 6 Dual Showman cabinets. Still had to be hellatious on-stage volume.

11. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

We must have read the same interview. It was because of reading this that I started to do the same thing.

Also, he said that he played with the rounded edge of the traditional "Fender-style" picks, which I tried and liked and still do!

12. JiMB

JiMB Member

Those moose calls ruled!

13. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

I believed that initially but I think I remember a guy here at TGP who said that he once worked for Ted and he debuked that story(?).

14. dr.slide

dr.slide Member

yep....i saw him at western illinois university in macomb...we noticed duct tape X's on the stage....sure enough, he would always stand on one of the X's during a note that was meant to feedback....each X was a different note....our seats were near the top of the bleachers and we could see nearly everyone cover their ears at the precise same instant during the feedback....kinda funny

15. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

He's Ted Fuking Nugent, thats how!

16. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

17. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

He does not use many amps live-many are just for show. This and using the volume knob explains why he doesnt always have massive feedback issues.

18. Hunterdog

Hunterdog Member

I saw him circa about '78m or so, one of my first concerts.

And yeah, it was 6 Twins, I was right around 6-8 rows back, and the stage volume was enough to literally hurt.

Saw Rush shortly after, and wondered, in my teenage ignorance, why they weren't nearly as loud as Ted. Thought something was wrong with the PA, lol.

It wasn't until later I realized Ted was the exception, not the rule.

Saw him at Arrowhead stadium a year or two later, he got noise complaints from something like 6 miles away.

Those darn Twins.........

19. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I remember reading an article by 'Nightbob' in an old guitar mag, and he said that Nugent and Joe Perry were the 2 loudest guitars he ever mixed. I believe he said he could feel his DNA being rearranged standing in front of their rigs...

20. cpike

cpike Member

I think they're hollow, no center block. Playing on a big stage must help, but still, it's gotta take some of your attention. My archtops feed back like a mother****er, even thru a little deluxe set on about 3. I have an old Super Twin. Can't imagine plugging a hollow guit into that thing and cranking it up.

DC42 likes this.