How did Ted Nugent do it???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DB Cooper, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Gham

Gham Member

Saw him in 1975 on the Snakeskin Cowboy tour,he opened for Bad Company.The difference in styles was hysterical,we sat with his bass player after their show and he pointed out all the chicks that were with BC.It was really fun

2. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

He'd eat two pounds of raw meat from some animal he shot with a crossbow a couple hours before the show. Then he'd scream at his amps and threaten to blow them away if they feed back too much.

3. epluribus

epluribus Member

Always wondered this too. Played an true-hollow archtop exclusively for the first ten or so years I played. Yeah, they work fine onstage if you just mind where the speakers are and use the sound field to your advantage (big advantage, btw)...but I was only running sixty or so watts. Ted always boggled me that he could do that at his volumes. But then Ted kinda has a way of boggling even without the watts...

--Ray

PS...I've seen several acts do the "X" thing. Seems to be a fairly common technique.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

Back before he went national, Ted used to play in my home town in Michigan a lot. I met and talked to him several times and believe it or not he was a really nice guy to me and my buddy who went up to him asking questions. Once he took me onstage during setup and showed me his Blackface Twin Reverb rig. At the time it was three Twins running through three Showman cabs, and more than once he had a Marshall stack on the other side where the bass player was as well. Every time I saw him in those days he had tape marks on the floor. I also know for a fact he dimed his amps and worked his volume control a lot, and his tone controls. On some of his old Byrdlands you can see the wear marks near his knobs.

I also sold him a really high end hifi system around 1977, and went to his farm outside my hometown to install it, but that's another story.

5. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Silver Supporting Member

Didn't he stuff cotton in the body to reduce some of the feedback and make it more controllable?
    I thought I read that somewhere, maybe an old Guitar Player interview. I could be thinking of someone else though.
    In any case, it is pretty bad ass to play that loud with a hollow body.

"..this guitar is guaranteed to blow the balls off a charging rhinoceros at 50 paces, it is"

6. WheelchairBandit

WheelchairBandit Member

I could be totally wrong about this, but I seem to remember Ted mentioning that he would put towels inside of his Byrdland to help keep the feedback under control.

Brian.

7. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

I remember that article, and I believe he said he just stuffed as much foam rubber in the f-holes as he could.

8. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Cool! Let's hear that other story about the home visit. I can only imagine...

DC42 likes this.
  9. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

It was, which is why he's totally deaf in one ear. Kinda gives the bear & deer an even chance.

10. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

i recall a tv interview with terrible ted (must have seen it on mtv??) and he mentioned somthing like "800 watts..."

funny i can get a 800 watt amp for my car at the swap meet for 25 bucks

11. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Member

I'm not surprised at all. Ted always seemed like a friendly, straightforward guy. He has his opinions - many of which I agree with - and argues them more intelligently (and forcefully) than just about anybody who differs with him. When you're right, and you know it, and you have the balls to back up what you say, I guess you just say it!

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

I put that in because certain people with uh, ideas different than his shall we say, think he's a dick. All those years ago when I talked to him I was just a dumb kid starting out on guitar and he knew it, but never talked down to me. He had an ego, sure, but he was gracious, at least to me.

13. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Member

I understand why you put it in there. I find it amusing that many people who think he's a dick like to talk, but don't do nearly as much as Ted does to help kids get on a good track. His outdoor programs, strong anti-drug/anti-alcohol/pro-family stance would do far more benefit for our kids than what most other "rock stars" have to offer. Plus, he can actually form an articulate thought, which is always helpful in debate. I love to hear him on national talk shows when the host tries to nail him and he just blows them out of the water.

It's cool that he was cool to you when you were so young!

14. Xabiche

Xabiche Member

I've loved the Nuges music since I first saw him in '79. Kudos for the things he does to help people but his politics... well, I believed a lot of that crap when I was young and stupid :)

:poke

15. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

I remember the interview, how he used to be on stage left, facing toward the middle of the stage, line of sight with the other members; so he used an earplug for his right ear, since it faced his amps. Years later he found out that his left ear was completely deaf.

16. cdntac

cdntac Member

I've been fortunate to be around Ted quite a bit, see his stage rigs up close, play a few of his Byrds, get lessons from his guitar techs, take pics at his shows and generally soak up a ton of knowledge.

Ted doesn't fight feedback. He embraces it and makes it work for him. Notice how he moves around quite a bit? He's working that feedback. Different angles between the guitar and the amp make a big difference in regards to whether feedback will be a problem. He's _always_ moving around.

No, he doesn't stuff anything inside his Byrdlands. I think he'd shoot himself before doing that.

Amp wise, he currently has a Kustom amp sitting in front of the drum set. Two Peavey 6505+ heads are mounted atop cabs either right beside the Kustom amp or just to each side of the drum set. But usually those cabs aren't being used from the heads.

The cabs that are supplying the sound are a bit farther away from center --- live, you can see which cabs are mic'd.

Then there is a Fender Twin behind the wall of half stacks that is mic'd (but out of sight).

Distance from the amp/cab makes a big difference as to whether or not feedback will happen. On a small stage this can be difficult to work but on a normal size stage --- not an issue.

Note that Ted's ALWAYS adjusting the volume knobs on his guitars. If he plays a riff and then it stops --- he'll hit the volume knob fast, kill the sound and then crank it back up again. He'll also often kill the volume on one pickup and use the pickup selector as a kill switch as well as rolling back the volume.

Lots of wear marks on his guitars from doing this. ;)

[​IMG]

And his guitars don't have their volume set low either. He'll roll them back a bit to adjust tone but from what I've seen, they are often at 10. But when he stops playing (or the riff stops, as mentioned above) he hits that volume knob FAST.

Note: For that opening riff of Stranglehold he actually takes a bit off of the volume until the main part of the song starts (when everyone else kicks in) and then the guitar is back up to 10. Cleans it up a bit (according to him).

And as far as being deaf --- he says it's main cause is from firearms with music no doubt also having an effect.

DC42 likes this.
  17. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

23 row back in the early 80's
    my ears rang for two days. loudest show ever for me. anyone have an idea of his show's average volume in dbs?
    i remember deep purple held the world record at 120db---until my bloody valentine shattered it at 137db! but love this DP
    love this story:

"Deep Purple Mark II reunion, the Perfect Strangers Tour. The kick drum felt like someone hitting you in the chest. My ears rang for a couple of months afterwards - I was seriously concerned I had permanently damaged my hearing, (I hadn't).

I was sitting up in the nosebleed section - 3 rows from the back!!! Note, people sitting closer were probably safer, the PA was aiming over their heads towards the back of the hall where we were sitting. "

[​IMG]

For every 3 dBAs over 85dBA, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

18. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

In Ted's Guitar Player cover story, in '78 or '79, he was specifically asked whether he used dampening devices in the Byrdlands. He vigorously denied doing so, and seemed almost offended by the notion--as if it would be unmanly.

19. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

George Thorogood stuffs his ES-125 with cotton to stop the feedback, but Ted embraces it. Different styles.

20. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

"Where would Rock 'n Roll be without feedback?"

-David Gilmour

DC42 likes this.