How did Ted Nugent do it???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DB Cooper, Jul 16, 2011.

1. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Solid state 800 Watts is not as loud as many of the louder tube amps. I once worked at a studio where we would do special event dances using solid state amps. We used 2000 Watts for the bass (that went into Acoustic brand cabs that had 6 or 8 speakers.and 600 watts for the Electro Voice horns. Pretty loud but not as loud as most concerts.

2. Sykes

Sykes Member

Saw Ted last summer. Not only was it the best show I have ever been to, it was the loudest ever! I had to put ear plugs in just so I could make sense of what was going on musically! lol And to think he has turned it down since the 70's and 80's! It was a great time though. And he does work the stage like a master for that feedback. I remember watching him and wondering how he always knew just where to stand to get a certain tone of feedback.

3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

He had amps that could produce 1000W, but the question of "How much power did he use?" needs to be asked. He may have had his guitars modded to keep feedback to a minimum, too.

I read a Guitar Player interview with him a long time ago and they asked about his hearing- he said he used ear plugs and pushed them in so far that they touched, IIRC.

4. Birddog

Birddog Member

I recall an interview with him stating that his Byrdlands were stuffed with old t-shirts to help eliminate feedback.

I've also heard that Chuck Norris tours with him, and just gives the feedback a "look" and it stops.

5. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

"before he went national"- you mean as a solo act, right? He "went national" in the '60s, with the Amboy Dukes when they released 'Journey To The Center Of Your Mind'.

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

The same way Ted does everything else...90% attitude, 10% ability...;)

I am a huge fan of ted's guitar work...He used to goon WRIF in detroit and just play his guitar...I could listen to it for hours...

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If you watch him play closely, he does all kinds of crazy things with his right hand to control the feedback. He's constantly riding the volume knobs, muting strings, and sometimes he'll even stick a finger under the strings to mute them.

8. mtnb1kr

mtnb1kr Member

What year was this? I grew up in the area, graduated from Macomb High School in '82. I remember seeing ELP, 38*Special/REO, Talas/Van Halen, and Cheap Trick(can't remember who opened) during those years.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

RackCrew was the member, since banned. I forget if he debunked it or supported it. He had some interesting posts.

10. Custom50

Custom50 Member

He has incredible control of his sound. I rememer reading that he would mark specific places on the stage with tape during his soundchecks so he would know where he could control it best.

11. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

Watch him in this live version of Stranglehold. He's on the 5150s but same concept. He mutes the top strings with a couple of fingers a couple of times

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Mucho use of the volume knob between phrases also.

That Byrdland has obviously been rode hard and hung up wet a number of times. Excellent.

13. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

I wonder if the short scale had much to do with the feedback control.... Every play a Byrdland? It's great as long as you're above the 12th. Then the frets get clllooooose lol

14. cdntac

cdntac Member

Or like this with his thumb.

[​IMG]

15. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

You can hear that thing woof for a split second every time he opens his volume. He's johnny-on-the-spot with that thing.

16. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

that is an impressive live performance... I honestly prefer it the album version...

17. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Heres "that" rig

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

the Rockpalst sow is excellent.

19. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Yep - loud amps will make you deaf over time but I used to work at a major hearing aid manufacturer for my day gig. An audiologist there told me that the biggest damage you can do to your hearing is short reports, sudden attacks; firearms, snare drums, cymbal crashes.

He said the most profoundly deaf guy he ever tested the hearing of was a man who was an artillery gunner during world war two and played drum kit in polka bands for the better part of five decades without any kind of hearing protection. I think he said his day gig was construction working a jackhammer for 25 years or so.

So Ted might have lost hearing from the amps but the gunshots may have done more overt damage to deafen him in one ear.

I used to play in a band where a friend would show up at rehearsals and gigs with a decibel meter and we took joy in pegging it - 125 dB. We were in our 20s and pretty crazy.

20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Man, there is something iconic about the opening to "Stranglehold" through that 5150 sawed off shotgun.

Chills.