How did Ted Nugent do it???

vortexxxx

Supporting Member
Solid state 800 Watts is not as loud as many of the louder tube amps. I once worked at a studio where we would do special event dances using solid state amps. We used 2000 Watts for the bass (that went into Acoustic brand cabs that had 6 or 8 speakers.and 600 watts for the Electro Voice horns. Pretty loud but not as loud as most concerts.

Sykes

Saw Ted last summer. Not only was it the best show I have ever been to, it was the loudest ever! I had to put ear plugs in just so I could make sense of what was going on musically! lol And to think he has turned it down since the 70's and 80's! It was a great time though. And he does work the stage like a master for that feedback. I remember watching him and wondering how he always knew just where to stand to get a certain tone of feedback.

'58Bassman

Using a Gibson Byrdland semi-hollow body, how did Ted Nugent avoid monsterous feedback when using over 1000 watts of Fender amps?

Ted Nugent 1978 Fender Amp ad

So if he was using SIX Fender Super Twin Reverbs and SIX Dual Showman Reverbs - it's no wonder he was the loudest guitarist out there at the time.

How did that volume NOT come back and destroy his sound?

(I know the volume destroyed his hearing...)

Just wondering...
He had amps that could produce 1000W, but the question of "How much power did he use?" needs to be asked. He may have had his guitars modded to keep feedback to a minimum, too.

I read a Guitar Player interview with him a long time ago and they asked about his hearing- he said he used ear plugs and pushed them in so far that they touched, IIRC.

Birddog

I recall an interview with him stating that his Byrdlands were stuffed with old t-shirts to help eliminate feedback.

I've also heard that Chuck Norris tours with him, and just gives the feedback a "look" and it stops.

'58Bassman

Back before he went national, Ted used to play in my home town in Michigan a lot. I met and talked to him several times and believe it or not he was a really nice guy to me and my buddy who went up to him asking questions. Once he took me onstage during setup and showed me his Blackface Twin Reverb rig. At the time it was three Twins running through three Showman cabs, and more than once he had a Marshall stack on the other side where the bass player was as well. Every time I saw him in those days he had tape marks on the floor. I also know for a fact he dimed his amps and worked his volume control a lot, and his tone controls. On some of his old Byrdlands you can see the wear marks near his knobs.

I also sold him a really high end hifi system around 1977, and went to his farm outside my hometown to install it, but that's another story.
"before he went national"- you mean as a solo act, right? He "went national" in the '60s, with the Amboy Dukes when they released 'Journey To The Center Of Your Mind'.

The same way Ted does everything else...90% attitude, 10% ability...;)

I am a huge fan of ted's guitar work...He used to goon WRIF in detroit and just play his guitar...I could listen to it for hours...

GCDEF

Supporting Member
If you watch him play closely, he does all kinds of crazy things with his right hand to control the feedback. He's constantly riding the volume knobs, muting strings, and sometimes he'll even stick a finger under the strings to mute them.

mtnb1kr

yep....i saw him at western illinois university in macomb...we noticed duct tape X's on the stage....sure enough, he would always stand on one of the X's during a note that was meant to feedback....each X was a different note....our seats were near the top of the bleachers and we could see nearly everyone cover their ears at the precise same instant during the feedback....kinda funny
What year was this? I grew up in the area, graduated from Macomb High School in '82. I remember seeing ELP, 38*Special/REO, Talas/Van Halen, and Cheap Trick(can't remember who opened) during those years.

twinrider1

I believed that initially but I think I remember a guy here at TGP who said that he once worked for Ted and he debuked that story(?).
RackCrew was the member, since banned. I forget if he debunked it or supported it. He had some interesting posts.

Custom50

He has incredible control of his sound. I rememer reading that he would mark specific places on the stage with tape during his soundchecks so he would know where he could control it best.

turbolx5oh

Watch him in this live version of Stranglehold. He's on the 5150s but same concept. He mutes the top strings with a couple of fingers a couple of times

tiktok

Supporting Member
Watch him in this live version of Stranglehold. He's on the 5150s but same concept. He mutes the top strings with a couple of fingers a couple of times

Mucho use of the volume knob between phrases also.

That Byrdland has obviously been rode hard and hung up wet a number of times. Excellent.

Rumblur

I wonder if the short scale had much to do with the feedback control.... Every play a Byrdland? It's great as long as you're above the 12th. Then the frets get clllooooose lol

guitfiddle

You can hear that thing woof for a split second every time he opens his volume. He's johnny-on-the-spot with that thing.

Yep - loud amps will make you deaf over time but I used to work at a major hearing aid manufacturer for my day gig. An audiologist there told me that the biggest damage you can do to your hearing is short reports, sudden attacks; firearms, snare drums, cymbal crashes.

He said the most profoundly deaf guy he ever tested the hearing of was a man who was an artillery gunner during world war two and played drum kit in polka bands for the better part of five decades without any kind of hearing protection. I think he said his day gig was construction working a jackhammer for 25 years or so.

So Ted might have lost hearing from the amps but the gunshots may have done more overt damage to deafen him in one ear.

I used to play in a band where a friend would show up at rehearsals and gigs with a decibel meter and we took joy in pegging it - 125 dB. We were in our 20s and pretty crazy.

Stinky Kitty

Supporting Member
Man, there is something iconic about the opening to "Stranglehold" through that 5150 sawed off shotgun.

Chills.

Trending Topics