How did you cure your Leo Fender ERA Stratocaster GAS?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shawntp, Jun 20, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

Hey folks - I have played a bunch of wonderful early 60's Strats over the past few years that quite frankly keep me up at night with dreams of lust.

I've owned several strats over the years - Standard, Deluxe, Custom Shop, etc but I always let them go in search for another one.

When I look at strats I seem to break them down into:
    Comfort/playability
    Sound
    Aesthetics/ & that awful "Mojo" word (which is just poison in my brain)

So far the Pre-CBS strats are the only ones that have scored 100% in all categories above. If it were not for all the risk/fake issues involving vintage fenders I would not have a problem spending 15G on one but I am not an expert an the risk has left me skeptical.

So how does one cope - I know there are others here that want to jump on an old classic just like me be but are held back ...do you find an awesome master-built or something and the "GAS passes".

I consider myself a strat player and as pathetic as this sounds I do not even own a strat right now because I am holding out for that ultimate one that needs to stand up to the 60's ive played.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time an wipe out the memory of all the pre-CBS ones ive played so I wouldn't have this bug in my head.

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I hear you. I've never owned a pristine OPre CBS strat but I have owned 3 Refined ones back in the early 90's. Knowing now what they are worth and what I paid for them.........I wish to hell I kept them. But only for the monetary purposes. My ultimate strat after owning and selling around 30-1970's strats and the 3 Pre CBS Strats is the parts strat I own now. I bought A guitar from Dave Guitars that was actually Dave's #1 player back around 95 or so. It has an original 62 neck and the body was a Olympic white 82 or something like that. I've kept that neck and put it on several guitars over the years......I finally found an amazing.......Warmoth, Yeas I said Wormoth! 2 piece alder body. Nothing but a hand rubbed finish on it. That neck with that body is like magic. I threw in some Irish Bare knuckle single coils and its the best strat I ever played. The neck is worn in and feels fantastic. I had a local Guitar Tech Guru bob perform some of his magic on it recently and its just one of the most responsive best feel guitars I ever laid my hands on. I only wish I snatched a few more necks when they were affordable!

If you can't afford the real thing , look for some amazing parts to add the old with the new. You might get lucky like I did! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I finally found a 1961 Stratocaster - sunburst, snot-guard, cigarette smoke-yellowed knobs, faded finish in the arm spot, really played.... and abso<expletive deleted>lutely AWESOME. I bought it and have never looked back. Here's the rub - I bought it to play. It's a warhorse. Then this "stupid prices on vintage guitars" thing hit. What cost me a couple grand when I bought it a couple decades ago will cost me over 10x that much to replace, IF I can find another that is its equal...
    So I've spent the past I dunno how many years looking for/trying to build a "gig Strat" it's equal. The GAS for one is over, the hunt for one I can gig with continues....:bkw

(meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'm "suffering" with a Suhr Custom Classic. It'll have to do...)

jb

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

I cured it by owning a bunch of them back when they weren't SO expensive, and now I build them from modern parts and IMO they are every bit as good guitars as the old ones I used to play.

5. bynt

bynt Member

Warmoth.

Had a good body (Japanese!!!) and got a Warmoth neck. Done!!!

6. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Suhr did it for me...

7. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

I believe that you'll find "it," I'm just not sure if it will be a pre-CBS one or a newer one that somehow hits all of those categories.

I'm putting together a pre-CBS partscaster, so I can't really know it will have the sound and feel before it is a guitar ... but I'm pretty sure it will.

8. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Good question you have rasied.

I have two strats and I like them both. But I think there are much better ones out there. Doesn't mean I can't get a whale of a lot of enjoyment from the ones I have. In fact, real love for the music and the thrill of just plugging in and playing can keep GAS pretty much out of the picture.

My Grandmother would say to love what you have. I think that is such an excellent approach to things. If you really cultivate that, you can have a ball.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Smart lady. [​IMG][​IMG]

I read somewhere if you get GAS look at it this way:

Imagine every piece of gear was stolen. You now have nothing. You would probably do anything at that point just to get back to where you are now. :BEER

10. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

I was sort of wrapped up in the Leo Era Fender hype; had a bunch of pre-CBS amps that were magic, and I finally found a sweet '61 strat that was everything a sweet old strat was supposed to be. I was a better player with that guitar in my hands, and I really dug that I was playing a piece of history -- it's like my playing had a pedigree, if you know what I mean.

Had it for about 5 years, got everything I could from it, and I sold it for a lot more than what I paid for it. I've had a couple of strats since, one a parts guitar made up of some really fine bits, and the other a John English MB "54 RI. The parts guitar was about 94% as good as the '61 for about 1/10th the cost when I sold it and maybe 1/25th the cost of the guitar now.

The English '54 is a better guitar than my '61, actually -- what it doesn't have in terms of that wonderful old 'broken-in" feeling and burnished tone it makes up for in the way the wood and wire and magnets all come together. It's a superb guitar and monetary value aside, if I could trade one for the other I'd keep the English.

Speaking of money, I found that the value of the '61 became a real bummer; I like to play my guitars, and having an instrument that was worth more than most of the cars in the parking lot of the places I played really got on my nerves. It was a great guitar, but I have other guitars that are almost as great that don't have any baggage associated with 'em . . . they're just guitars, if you know what I mean.

So yeah, I was all caught up in the magic of Leo era guitars, and yeah, there is some truth to the hype, particularly when you have the right example in your hands. But there are some downsides, too . . . you just gotta weigh it all up and make the decision that is right for you.

~j

11. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

+1 on the John English MB 54..

12. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

+1 on expensive guitars... I've had old guitars, played old strats. There is something to them that cannot be reproduced. But in the balance, I like to be comfortable in things like fretboard radius, being able to tinker with pickups, and leaving the thing lying on the couch around my toddlers while I run to top off my beer or use the bathroom. If you can afford one and won't be afraid to play it, get one! There are reputable dealers out there. Norm's Rare Guitars springs top mind. Dave's, too.

13. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I had a couple early 60's strats. Both sounded great, but were not the easiest to play. It was a constant fight, but when you were winning it was a glorious thing. The 64 I had was the one I wish I never sold.

Cured my strat lust with a Senn Fullerton that I waited almost a year and a half for, but it was worth the wait. Has every bit of the mojo that the best old strats have and plays and sounds phenomenal. Even my vintage only friends freak out over this one.

14. oscar100

oscar100 Member

suhr did it for me too