How did you find the "one" guitar for you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Chrosa, Jul 3, 2019.

1. 8len8

8len8 Member

Random luck. Had a Les Paul that I wasn’t bonding with so I went to GC to check some others out. Took one off the rack that was lightweight and had a thin neck. After a pickup swap it’s been my #1 for over 10 years. And it was on sale!

2. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Supporting Member

Annnnddd now I have GAS for an ES Les Paul black beauty! I’ve never seen one of those before but that’s a truly amazing looking Les Paul!

Ace1432 likes this.
  3. wetordry

wetordry Member

Haggled a junk store owner down to 90 bux after a year with 5 strings bouncing around his place.
    It was a pity rescue project that kept getting better.
    It's almost due a refret, should be even better then, but it's already passed that bar.

Just a chance thing, I didn't really even want it.
    Another month it would probably been glued to the ceiling fan.

4. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

Walked into CME this past April only intending to browse - walked out with THE best sounding guitar I have ever played: Collings I-35 LC with Throbaks. Done.

Whiskey N Beans likes this.
  5. twotone

twotone Member

I've never owned a guitar that I would consider irreplaceable.

shane8 likes this.
  6. WayneM

WayneM Member

congrats...I own a all Limba Jr. 90 (and a good friend owns one like yours) and this Thorn model is excellent.
    Enjoy!

skydog likes this.
  7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

No such thing as the 'one' for me.

I like waaaay too many different tones etc.

Lloyd_m likes this.
  8. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

:agree If I play for more than 10 mins I’ll switch at least once :aok

Lloyd_m and Bluesful like this.
  9. shane8

shane8 Member

TGP101
    works for me …. this is what I've done
    +1

I have 3 that I like heaps but I reckon I could find something wonderful in a day. :|

10. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I played a ton of Gibsons, got super disappointed, bought a PRS. Been #1 for 14 years.

11. orourke

orourke Member

I always have a number 1. They usually stay in that spot for 4 to 10 years. Some I’ve played half to death and moved on instead of getting a fret job.

I love a guitar that has versatility and has a little originality. I used to mod guitars a lot but now I just like to find new guitars that I like stock.

This PRS Studio has been has been my no. 1 four 4 years and I’m still crazy about it.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  12. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

My Journey went like this, from my 1st at age 13 to “The One,” today:

1987 - Harmony Les Paul copy
    1988- Tanara (Jackson dual humbucker knockoff)
    1989- Peavey Predator (Strat copy, what I developed
    most of my technique on)
    1990-1992- Gibson Les Paul studio (got it because I LOVED
    Randy Rhoads, couldn’t afford a Jackson V, and this
    was the next best thing!)
    1993-1997- Jackson Dinky
    1998-2000- Fernandes Strat Copy
    2001- Yamaha Pacifica Strat style
    2002-2006- Fender American Standard Telecaster, Carvin DC127, Carvin DC727
    2007-2018- Fender Thinline Tele, Carvin H2, Fender 50’s Strat, Soloway (Amazing sound!!! But 27” scale was a no-go,) G&L Legacy, Rice Custom 7 String Strat, Carvin HH2T, Fender Player Strat, Fender American Standard Strat
    2019- Ibanez RG752AHM Prestige.........

Drum Roll..........

1983 Fender Elite Strat!!!

Took me 32 years to find, but it sounds PERFECT for everything I play.

For metal, fusion, clean, thrash, anything.... I love it.

:)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  13. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

I’ve got two that are home base for me. The first, an EJ Strat, I picked up on a whim at a music store. I knew I was going to buy it when I played it unplugged. The second, my 93 Les Paul Standard, I got from the Emporium here. I was going to flip it if I didn’t like it. That wasn’t a problem as it turns out — it’s been my no. 1 for five years now. It still is even though I now have a second LP.

Here’s the two of them together:

[​IMG]

Switters and Voxshall like this.
  14. scotty31

scotty31 Member

If you want to play broad styles, no one guitar is likely to do it for you.

i have always asked myself what i would play if i was to only play one guitar.
    Answer is its probably not an electric.
    I would likely play an OM, probably a Martin OM28 or Santa Cruz OM Grand.

If only because they are the perfect acoustic to me, and i have never found the perfect electric.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Bought my first Ibanez RG in 1990. Still have it along with four others. Tried all the classics since but the RG's remain. Yeah I still own a couple Strats, a Tele but my RG's just feel right for me. Bob

My 90 RG. Have nicer ones but this ones still here.

[​IMG]

Lt Dak likes this.
  16. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

In my experience, You usually get used to a guitar in a certain amount of time and end up bonding with it.
    I've been gigging for 56 years and for the first few decades I only owned one guitar at a time; guitars that grew on me so to speak. (they have overlapped a little though)
    I've bonded with a Rickenbacher, a Les Paul Jr, A custom Tele, a Hamer...

There have been only two that I couldn't connect with . One was a 1963 Jazzmaster I bought in '66. The other was a new Tele I bought in '72.

My current three main favorites; a '71 Strat I've been playing for 38 years, an '85 Strat with a '67 Tele neck I've played for the last 18 years and a Gretsch 6120 Jr I've played since 2011. These three do seem to have something 'special' but ...

I have about a dozen others that could each be a main player after a short adjustment period. (mostly Strats, Teles, Gretsch, Warmouth, USACG)
    I'm not on the lookout for any more :)

S Mac

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  17. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Trial and error, and so far I only have it down to types, rather than individual guitars. I like strat styles, sometimes with other pickups, and I like 335s. I have good examples of either, keepers. otoh, I don't believe I'll ever be one of those guys who have a "The One" in absolute terms. Guitars are somewhat interchangeable to me. I'd hate to lose what I have, they're good instruments, but I'm sure I could find others that would work for me

18. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

Isn't it funny how many peoples 'one' guitar have been through chance or luck it seems. A few of the posts in this thread so far have been guitars that have come along when we've not really been looking for them. A lot of the time a big expensive custom never turns out as good as expected, at least in my experience anyway.

I'm pretty sure I've not found my 'one' yet. I have 3 or 4 very good instruments though that all have their uses.

19. jota

jota Member

I went on a telecaster hunt. I had a Gibson LP and a Fender Stratocaster at the time and wanted a Telecaster.
    Tried every single one I could find (except a Ritchie Kotzen because it was out of my price wrange) and the very last one I tried was the one.
    Spent one month talking to the guy in the store to get a better price and, once I got the money and saw he was not going any lower, I bought it.
    It didn't immediately became my #1 but slowly crawled up to the top of the list and it's been the one I always go back to for the last 10 or so years.

derekd likes this.
  20. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

How did I find “the one”?? I dunno... I still haven’t found it! (playing 4 decades)

Nowadays, I always say my PRS is my “#1”, but that’s mainly cuz it’s basically the nicest guitar I own

Although, forced to choose just one... it’d have to be a Strat of some kind (though not necessarily my current one, so it comes full circle again)